What happens to the missing intensity in a Mach-Zehnder interferometer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a Mach-Zehnder interferometer in quantum physics. The setup involves a beam of photons being split into four beams at two beam splitters, resulting in constructive and destructive interference at two detectors. The question arises about where half of the intensity goes, but it is explained that with constructive interference, the resulting beam has four times the energy of the original beam.
Wanderbiker
I am new to quantum physics and mostly self taught. Please forgive me for what is probably a very naïve question.

Here's the way I understand it.

A beam of photons is directed into a Mach-Zehnder interferometer (two beam splitters, two regular mirrors, and two detectors). At the first splitter, the beam is split into two beams (1/2 intensity each). At the second beam splitter, each of the two beams is split again. This results in four beams (each of 1/4 intensity). At one detector, two beams display constructive interference, resulting in a detection of 1/2 intensity (1/4 + 1/4). At the other detector, the two beams display destructive interference, resulting in a detection of zero intensity (1/4 - 1/4).

Here's my problem:
If this is all true, where did half of the intensity go? Energy doesn't just dissappear.

Other explanations I have heard say that full intensity is detected at the constructive interference detector. They don't, however, explain how this can be when half the intensity of the original beam ended up at the destructive interference detector.

Please help me understand.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With constructive interference of two equal-amplitude beams, the resulting beam has twice the amplitude of either incoming beam. Energy is proportional to the square of the amplitude, so the resulting has four times the energy (intensity) of either incoming beam.

Thank you. I knew there had to be a simple answer.

1. What is a Mach-Zehnder Interferometer?

A Mach-Zehnder Interferometer is a type of optical instrument used to measure small changes in the phase or amplitude of a light wave. It consists of two arms, with a beam splitter at the beginning and a beam combiner at the end. The two arms are recombined at the beam combiner, creating an interference pattern that can be used to measure the changes in the light.

2. How does a Mach-Zehnder Interferometer work?

A Mach-Zehnder Interferometer works by splitting a light beam into two separate paths, using a beam splitter. The two paths are then recombined at a beam combiner, creating an interference pattern. Any changes in the phase or amplitude of the light will cause a shift in the interference pattern, which can be measured and used to determine the changes.

3. What are the applications of a Mach-Zehnder Interferometer?

Mach-Zehnder Interferometers have a wide range of applications in various fields, including metrology, telecommunications, and quantum optics. They are commonly used in interferometric measurements for determining small changes in length, refractive index, and surface flatness. They are also used in fiber optics for telecommunications and in quantum key distribution for secure communication.

4. What are the advantages of using a Mach-Zehnder Interferometer?

One of the main advantages of a Mach-Zehnder Interferometer is its high sensitivity to small changes in the light. It can also be used with a wide range of wavelengths and is relatively easy to set up and use. Additionally, it is a non-destructive method of measurement, making it useful for sensitive materials or samples.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Mach-Zehnder Interferometer?

While Mach-Zehnder Interferometers have many advantages, there are also some limitations to consider. They are sensitive to external disturbances, such as vibrations or temperature changes, which can affect the accuracy of the measurements. Additionally, they require precise alignment and calibration, which can be time-consuming and challenging for inexperienced users.