What Other Job Opportunities Are Available for Engineering Physics Graduates?

In summary, a person with a bachelors in accounting and engineering physics may have concerns about finding a job in the aerospace/defense industry. They are open to other majors that may have more job opportunities and do not plan on attending grad school. They may consider electrical or computer engineering as alternatives for employment.
Paul04r
Hello physics forum! I am currently working on my first semester towards an engineering physics degree, after receiving a bachelors of accountancy. I decided I didnt want to be an accountant for the rest of my life, and have always had an interest in physics, so I figured I would give it a shot and see where it takes me.

Ive already started looking around at the kinds of jobs I could get with an engineering physics degree, and it seems like a large percent of them involve working with companies that make weapons of some sort. I have absolutely no interest in working for a company that makes weapons, so my question is, are there lots of other available jobs for someone with a BA in accounting and a bachelors in engineering physics?

I wouldn't mind if accounting was part of my job, I just don't want it to be the only part of my job. I am still in my first semester, so if there was another major (engineering or physics related) I could chose that would have more opportunities now is the time to figure that out. I don't plan on going to grad school, as I would like to get a "real" job as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are jobs not in the aerospace/defense industry for Engineering Physics graduates. However, if employment is what you're worried about, consider getting into electrical or computer engineering.

1. What is engineering physics?

Engineering physics is a branch of engineering that combines principles of physics and mathematics to solve complex engineering problems. It involves the application of scientific principles to design, develop, and improve technology.

2. What types of jobs are available in engineering physics?

There are various job opportunities available in engineering physics, including research and development, design and analysis, consulting, teaching, and management positions. Some specific job titles include mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, aerospace engineer, and materials engineer.

3. What skills are required for a job in engineering physics?

Some essential skills for a career in engineering physics include strong mathematical and scientific knowledge, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software and programming languages is also beneficial.

4. What education is required for a job in engineering physics?

Most jobs in engineering physics require at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field such as physics or mathematics. Some positions may require a higher level of education, such as a master's or doctoral degree, depending on the specific job role and industry.

5. What industries employ engineering physics graduates?

Engineering physics graduates can find employment in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, energy, manufacturing, and telecommunications. They may also work in research and development for government agencies, universities, or private companies.