Finding Location Data from Private Google Calendar XML Feeds

In summary, you can use Yahoo Pipes to extract location data from public or private Google calendars and then use the Google Calendar API to geo-tag the data on a map.
benbenny
Hello,

Using Yahoo Pipes it is possible to quite easily extract the location data from the XML feed of a public Google calendar and GeoTag it on to a map automatically (see http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info?_id=d696db6de1dda5c86fc8fa59bbef6aec [Broken])

I am trying to create a version of "Google Calendar Events on Map" that will work with a private Google Calendar, but this seems not to be possible and I don't understand why.

The way this works for the public calendar is that the "location extractor" pipe extracts the data the pertains to the location of the event. But it won't do this for the private calendar.

To experiment with this I created two calendars: one on publlic settings and one on private settings. The Google Calendar XML URL for the public calendar is: http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/w.heisenberg149%40gmail.com/public/basic

And for the private calendar it is: http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/private.heisenberg%40gmail.com/private-9f02de91de66aa0b5a9f8c8b525ed250/basic

I have created a copy of a "Google Calendar on Map" pipe for the purpose of playing around with this at

http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.edit?_id=3bae1526a01b91d6b1a4c36ed03ed3c7 [Broken]

As far as I can see the XML feed for a private calendar is the same as the XML feed for a public calendar, so why can't the pipes extract the location from the private Calendar? The pipes seem to be able to get all the other information from the private google calendar, including ID, Date, Time, all except for location.

As you see the location extractor on the right which has the private URL fed into it does not extract a location, while the one on the left, which has the public URL fed into it, does.

If it is not possible at all to achieve this with Yahoo Pipes, can anyone suggest an alternative way of achieving this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

1. How can I access a private Google Calendar XML feed?

To access a private Google Calendar XML feed, you will need to have the proper permissions from the owner of the calendar. This can be granted through the calendar's settings by selecting the option to make the calendar public or by sharing the calendar with specific individuals and giving them permission to view and access the feed.

2. What type of data can be found in a Google Calendar XML feed?

A Google Calendar XML feed contains information about events, including title, description, location, start and end times, and any associated reminders or notifications. It may also include information about the calendar itself, such as the owner's name and any shared or public settings.

3. Can I extract location data from a private Google Calendar XML feed?

Yes, you can extract location data from a private Google Calendar XML feed. The location field in the event information will typically contain the address or coordinates of the event's location. You can also use the coordinates to map the location using external mapping tools.

4. Is it possible to customize the data extracted from a Google Calendar XML feed?

Yes, it is possible to customize the data extracted from a Google Calendar XML feed. This can be done by using the XML feed's API and specifying the specific data fields you want to retrieve. You can also use third-party tools or scripts to further manipulate the data once it is extracted.

5. Are there any restrictions or limitations when using data from a private Google Calendar XML feed?

There may be some restrictions or limitations when using data from a private Google Calendar XML feed. These may depend on the owner's sharing and privacy settings, as well as any restrictions set by Google's API usage policies. It is important to check and comply with these guidelines when using data from private calendar feeds.