To transform humans into other species via genetic engineering

In summary, it is possible to alter some traits in an adult human, but it would be very difficult and would require a lot of technology that doesn't currently exist.
Dremmer
Will it be possible in the future for humans to transform into other species via genetic engineering? e.g. a human becoming a gorilla

Biology news on Phys.org
Certainly,many Frankensteins will appear before the superhuman...

Dremmer said:
Will it be possible in the future for humans to transform into other species via genetic engineering? e.g. a human becoming a gorilla

Possible maybe, but it depends on what you define as "human". You would effectively have to reduce each cell to just the phospholipid bilayer and cytoplasm, you would have to remove all the trans-membrane proteins, antigens etc. to prevent the body having an auto-immune reaction to the new DNA and proteins, so it would be practically impossible to perform on anything older than a few hours after conception, as there would be too many cells, before this then yes, it maybe possible, but really it would be easier to use IVF treatment, you'd waste an awful lot of energy otherwise.

Why are you asking out of curiosity?

I suppose that it would be possible to start up a few traits in an adult but I can't imagine any way of ever reforming an adult body to the degree I think you are implying. We are cursed with these somatic bodys that can only ever degrade and are limited in every way imagineable.

Speaking of "superhuman" was in the sense Nietzsche gave it.
It happens that nowadays science resuscitates this concept...even if not for philosophical reasons (which justifies the idea that phylosophy, science fiction and religion precede science).
In fact, Nietzsche's phylosophy is quite old; think only about Greek semideities..

Yes, the Bene Gesserit will eventually develop the Kwisatz Haderach!

I think your Gesserit (what's that?) And your Haderach (another famous nobody) should read "http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20147734" or even "http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?Db=pubmed&DbFrom=pubmed&Cmd=Link&LinkName=pubmed_pubmed&IdsFromResult=20147734".

Last edited by a moderator:
hg2051 said:
I think your Gesserit (what's that?) And your Haderach (another famous nobody)

I'd say those are very well-known fictional things. A reference that obviously went totally over your head.
Pretentious much?

Happy for my head.

hg2051 said:
Happy for my head.

You should be! His name is a killing word.

btw, your second link is from a search results session, it won't work anymore. Use the absolute link to the journal.

Right!And it seems it acted like.

Vagn said:
Possible maybe, but it depends on what you define as "human". You would effectively have to reduce each cell to just the phospholipid bilayer and cytoplasm, you would have to remove all the trans-membrane proteins, antigens etc. to prevent the body having an auto-immune reaction to the new DNA and proteins, so it would be practically impossible to perform on anything older than a few hours after conception, as there would be too many cells, before this then yes, it maybe possible, but really it would be easier to use IVF treatment, you'd waste an awful lot of energy otherwise.

You can get this done through some combination of tissue engineering and retroviral gene therapy. Though if you want to turn a human into a gorilla, the scope of changes is so vast (we're talking tens of millions of bases) that it's far out of reach given modern gene therapy technologies. Tissue engineering is more promising.

I really don't think so no.
If you think about it, we start off as a single cell which contains DNA.
The cells splits and unfolds and by a near miracle the embryo becomes a small human.
Genetic engineers can look at the DNA and identify certain traits like skin colour which they can tinker with. But the overall unfolding of the embryo is so immensly complex, it is only through millions of years of evolution that it has been gradually evolved to 'work'.
There isn't a gene which says 'head type' and we can swap that for a bird for example. Or a gene which says 'lung type' and we can switch it for gills.
We may be able to tweak a few things but changing to a new species, when you think of the complexity of embryolic develop that cannot happen.

venton said:
I really don't think so no.
If you think about it, we start off as a single cell which contains DNA.
The cells splits and unfolds and by a near miracle the embryo becomes a small human.
Genetic engineers can look at the DNA and identify certain traits like skin colour which they can tinker with. But the overall unfolding of the embryo is so immensly complex, it is only through millions of years of evolution that it has been gradually evolved to 'work'.
There isn't a gene which says 'head type' and we can swap that for a bird for example. Or a gene which says 'lung type' and we can switch it for gills.
We may be able to tweak a few things but changing to a new species, when you think of the complexity of embryolic develop that cannot happen.

I think the matter could be approached more pragmatically.As I suggested in this forum,read at "http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20147734" or even "http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?Db=pubmed&DbFrom=pubmed&Cmd=Link&LinkName=p ubmed_pubmed&IdsFromResult=20147734".
Testing various mutations that can be induced will lead to results, even if certain will be "Frankensteins".

Last edited by a moderator:
From a purely literary point of view, and having it drilled into me in English lessons, Frankenstein was the scientist, the monster was just called Frankenstein's Monster :P

Pythagorean said:
Yes, the Bene Gesserit will eventually develop the Kwisatz Haderach!

And the Muad'Dib will be gifted with the sight to see his cursed terrible purpose.

1)To Krakatoan:there was no specificationwhether Frankenstein was the experimentator or the result of his experiments.
2)To Noesis:I don't feel gifted (I suppose, nobody of common sense would) as "Muad 'Dib" (or "Geserit" or "Haderach", as evoked by one of your celebrissime mates in this forum) with this answer.
Strange, it seems a whole tribe invokes Geserit, Haderach, Muad 'Dib...
I feel this tribalism is far of a "Physics" forum... and close to the defence of "the tribe", far behind a modern society)

1. Can we use genetic engineering to turn humans into animals?

While it is possible to genetically modify animals to have some human-like traits, such as increased intelligence or communication abilities, it is currently not scientifically possible to transform a human into a completely different species. Each species has its own unique genetic makeup and it would require extensive alterations to a human's DNA to change them into a non-human species. Additionally, there are ethical concerns surrounding the idea of transforming humans into animals.

2. What are the potential benefits of transforming humans into other species?

Some proponents of genetic engineering may argue that transforming humans into other species could lead to advancements in medicine, agriculture, and other fields. For example, if humans were given the ability to photosynthesize like plants, it could potentially eliminate the need for food and solve world hunger. However, these potential benefits are largely hypothetical and the risks and ethical concerns outweigh them at this time.

3. Are there any ethical concerns with transforming humans into other species?

Yes, there are numerous ethical concerns with transforming humans into other species. One major concern is the potential loss of human identity and individuality. Another concern is the impact on the environment and other species if humans were to suddenly become a part of a different ecosystem. There are also concerns about the unintended consequences and risks associated with altering human genetics.

4. What are the current limitations of genetic engineering in transforming humans into other species?

Currently, the technology and knowledge required to transform humans into other species do not exist. While scientists have made advances in genetic engineering, it is still a complex and relatively new field. There are also numerous technical and ethical challenges that would need to be overcome before this type of transformation could even be considered.

5. Is it ethically justifiable to transform humans into other species?

This is a highly debated and controversial topic. Some argue that if it is possible and could potentially benefit humanity, then it is justifiable. Others argue that playing with human genetics in this way goes against our natural state and could have unforeseen consequences. Ultimately, it is up to society as a whole to decide if this type of transformation is ethically justifiable.