Uh I need a runway, really let me explain

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary: BMW has the "feel" nailed down. In summary, the bike is a work in progress that includes Ohlins shocks, a PUIG windscreen, Satos rear sets and racing hooks, Yoshimura fender eliminator, Racing Products case covers, stator/clutch, swingarm spools, Heli bars, Pazzo Racing levers, custom paint, front/rear wheels, black on red, and custom paint, rear swingarm.
I am beginning to get really comfortable with the beast, (3000 miles and counting). Have been riding the traction control "off" for weeks now, and finally am getting comfort level in playing with the throttle with second gear power wheelies, and now with first gear power wheelies. The goal is eventually to feel comfort with third gear ones as well, but you have to be at 110+ to be in the zone, not smart on the street for every reason you can imagine.

Another thing I am noticing is that I like the handling much better when my gas tank is almost on empty, the bike just feels more planted for some reason. I turned down both the front and rear compression and rebound damping to 5 from full soft, and the bike feels very stable and planted on the street, not skittish as it used to be when the suspenders were set on the stiff side.

I have to go through this whole exercise all over again soon with the used Kawasaki ZX6. My friend at the shop took it out on a shakedown today. He said it was tight and the brakes, suspension and tranny were all good, no issues. From the look of the tires whoever owned it last never even got within two inches of the chicken strips so I know it was not ridden hard. Too bad all the extra's I am adding to it and more important I have not has any seat time to sort it all out before taking it to the track. If I were an expert rider it would not be an issue, but since I am naturally cautious I always take it one step at a time and step by step. So far, knock on wood, so good. In a funny way I am glad I am older and wiser when I began this little adventure at the beginning of this year. It may have been a different story a decade or two ago, of that, I am sure. :eek: It has been a blast so far, and hopefully things will only get better. That's it.

Rhody out... :wink:

P.S. BTW. Guy Martin won the Superbike Race at the Ulster Gran Prix. A little http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXHFFviIJ-M&feature=related".

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Put a few miles on it, get used to how it brakes, turns, and accelerates. Trackday isn't a race. Any modern bike is ready for a trackday off the showroom floor. Just follow the organizer's set up rules (any safety wiring or taping of lenses), take some air out of the tires and go have fun.

Keith Code said "Compared to the street, track riding is more forgiving. A track may be 35 to 45 feet wide whereas your ½ slice of a two lane road could be as little as 8 feet. In that case, an error in line judgment on the road is roughly five times more critical than on a race track. "

Be Real said:
Put a few miles on it, get used to how it brakes, turns, and accelerates. Trackday isn't a race. Any modern bike is ready for a trackday off the showroom floor. Just follow the organizer's set up rules (any safety wiring or taping of lenses), take some air out of the tires and go have fun.

Keith Code said "Compared to the street, track riding is more forgiving. A track may be 35 to 45 feet wide whereas your ½ slice of a two lane road could be as little as 8 feet. In that case, an error in line judgment on the road is roughly five times more critical than on a race track. "
Be Real,

Did you join just to play in this thread ? Just wondering, out loud of course, hehe...

Rhody...

Amazon said:
Nice bike, I just high sided mine almost 3 weeks ago. Wanna buy any 599 parts :P I've only been out on the track once, can't wait to do it again

[URL]http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/2750/29611810150273882917127.jpg[/URL]
Amazon,

No, I don't need your parts, am getting an 09 Kawi Zx6 for a good price and putting a few track necessities on it before going back out there, high bars, quick shifter, power commander... etc... Hopefully your highside didn't result in broken or shattered anythings. The armor in leathers is amazing if you use the correct brand. I prefer Vanson leathers. BTW, was that a picture of your bike before the high side ?

Rhody...

rhody said:
Amazon,

No, I don't need your parts, am getting an 09 Kawi Zx6 for a good price and putting a few track necessities on it before going back out there, high bars, quick shifter, power commander... etc... Hopefully your highside didn't result in broken or shattered anythings. The armor in leathers is amazing if you use the correct brand. I prefer Vanson leathers. BTW, was that a picture of your bike before the high side ?

Rhody...

I turned out fine, my leathers defnitly did there job. I had a custom Velocity 2 piece race suit. And ya, that was before teh crash, the gas tank is pretty much flat now.

I've got my eye on a Yamaha GTS 1000. Future classic right there, and very cheap at the moment.

Kurdt, Amazon,

Let's switch this discussion over to my "runway" thread in GD, so we don't raise the ire of the mentors. BTW. Is there any way we can have the threads that belong there moved to the other thread ? That would be cool. I think I will report myself, hehe... and see what comes of it.

Rhody... o:)

rhody said:
Amazon,

Rhody...

Those aren't track necessities, in fact the high bars are the antithesis of a track necessity. Power commander? Are you replacing the exhaust system? I don't think you need a quick shifter to enjoy a track day. I guess I am doing it wrong riding a bike so stock it has the use 91 octane and always wear a helmet stickers still on it.

Be Real said:
Those aren't track necessities, in fact the high bars are the antithesis of a track necessity. Power commander? Are you replacing the exhaust system? I don't think you need a quick shifter to enjoy a track day. I guess I am doing it wrong riding a bike so stock it has the use 91 octane and always wear a helmet stickers still on it.
For me, heli-bars or something akin to it are most welcome, less strain on the wrists, and since the 600 will be dual use at least for the moment, all the more reason to put them on. I am getting rearsets and with it a quick shifter, and with it to control the engine cutout when you shift a power commander V control module. If you have a competitor's blood in you, and I assume you do, you can buy race gas, which is like 100 octane in five gallon box/bladders. Most bike shops sell race gas as well. So, you are running a stock, bike, what year/model and how many years have you been at this, and how many track days have you had, and where, NJMP, Loudon, Road Atlanta, etc... ?

Rhody...

What's the purpose of this thread? I used to ride. Did some racing back in the day. What's up?

Who said I need race gas?I know where it can be bought. Just ride the bike. Wear some edges off those tires.

DoggerDan said:
What's the purpose of this thread? I used to ride. Did some racing back in the day. What's up?
DoggerDan,

Just a little adventure into enjoying sport bikes, track days, road racing, and if you dig back far enough some fast cars on runways too thanks to howler_monkey's contributions. There is a lot of cool stuff to watch here spend some time with them I think you will agree.

I made a post a few posts ago asking for others contributions, here is your chance to contribute your experience(s), video's etc...

Be Real said:
Who said I need race gas?I know where it can be bought. Just ride the bike. Wear some edges off those tires.
BeReal,

Take a deep breath, relax, it is all good. I find it curious why you won't share anything about yourself, no one is going to judge you here, lighten up a little, have some fun and contribute. Read some of Turbo's posts, that's the spirit we are looking for. Not about who is better, faster, etc... it is not that at all, it is about having fun, and as Guy Martin likes to refers to it, "The Buzz". If it weren't for "The Buzz" I wouldn't be riding myself, pure and simple as that. I do it partially for therapeutic reasons.

Rhody...

Today would have been my second track day at Loudon, NH. I haven't heard from any of my buddies up there, hopefully everyone had a safe, fast, fun day. As luck would have it, today is the day when I agreed on a price with a buyer for my FJR. Funny how everything worked out too. I showed up at the shop last Saturday to talk about things for the used bike, and while on my way across the shop overheard a customer saying he was interested in a used FJR. I asked his buddy if he wanted to see the BMW, so we went out and chatted for a bit. His friend came back, having tried a used grey FJR the shop had, we met, and he asked if mine was blue, I said yes, I looked at his height and said mine had a lowered seat. One thing lead to another, and they decided to follow me home. Long story short, he drove it, liked it and today we pretty much closed the deal, which should happen this weekend if all goes well. If I had not been exactly where I was when I was I never would have sold the bike, and to a nice guy too. Funny how good karma and serendipity combine. It has happened over and over again since this odyssey started last year. I never fail to be amazed at how these two forces combine to bring good things to my life. I am eternally grateful too.

On another subject, I noticed last weekend some different handling behavior on the Monster bike. The temps were down about 10 - 15 degrees and under hard braking I felt the front end pumping for the first time. Second, when medium hard on the gas instead of trying to wheelie, it would break the rear end loose like a mad dog. I thought it might be soft shock front and rear settings causing the pumping, so I stiffened both ends up a bit and ran the same section of road, same temps, same amount of braking in the same place, and low and behold, the freaking road had ripples in it causing the pumping effect. Problem solved, but it just goes to show you if you deceive yourself into thinking you know everything, then that's when you get into trouble. The colder temps caused the rear end to brake loose, so I will keep that in mind as winter approaches, more than likely I will turn traction control back on, just for safety's sake.

Rhody...

rhody said:
DoggerDan,

Just a little adventure into enjoying sport bikes, track days, road racing, and if you dig back far enough some fast cars on runways too thanks to howler_monkey's contributions. There is a lot of cool stuff to watch here spend some time with them I think you will agree.

I made a post a few posts ago asking for others contributions, here is your chance to contribute your experience(s), video's etc...

Oh, ok! I get it, now. Well, back in the day, we had super-8. A few folks had Beta or VHS, but not many. I didn't.

DoggerDan said:
Oh, ok! I get it, now. Well, back in the day, we had super-8. A few folks had Beta or VHS, but not many. I didn't.
I didn't mean personal video's, unless you have them, I meant stuff you have seen online, uTube, etc... that you found interesting.

Rhody...

I had the pleasure of watching http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Stoner" [Broken] at Estoril, Australia on recorded cable TV on the Speed Channel with two races left to go in the season. He is from Australia so it was even sweeter for him. He led from the start to the finish. He has the best equipment at the moment, riding for Honda, whereas he struggled when riding for Ducati in 2007, even after many crashes, he was eventually able to win the MotoGP championship for the first time. He has come along way, and in the shadow of greats like Valentino Rossi, who struggled with Ducati this year after having significant crashes in 2010, which hindered his chances. 2012 will see the return of 1000cc bikes and hopefully the racing will be closer next year. As good as Stoner and Honda were this year, from a racing fan's perspective, it is no fun to watch someone run away with the lead race after race. I prefer the days when there was close contests, like the Stoner, Rossi faceoff at Laguna Seca in 2007. Stoner beat Rossi in qualifying by 1.5 seconds and yet somehow Rossi found a way to win. If you get the chance, google video the race and watch it, there are selections on UTube, really exciting stuff.

Rhody...

rhody said:
The colder temps caused the rear end to brake loose, so I will keep that in mind as winter approaches, more than likely I will turn traction control back on, just for safety's sake.

Rhody...
Yep. If your machine can put a lot of HP to the rear wheel, you have to watch tire pressures in cold weather.

Luckily, I was used to Evo-powered Harleys. If you have an Evo running high compression-ratios, then you have be be quite mindful of engine temperature, and that will damp your tendency to twist the throttle. The aluminum block, jugs, and heads have to heat up and expand in order to seat the gaskets tightly before you can flog that machine, lest you start blowing gaskets. By that time (20-30 minutes at least in cold weather), your tires are probably warmed up enough to perform adequately. Still, its best to run reduced pressures in cold weather.

If I had opted for the Monster about 10-15 years back, I might have learned your lesson the hard way, instead of the smart way like you did.

I got a report from my sales buddy at the shop. It was a cool day and 4 guys from our group went down, one a a ZX14 broke his ankle, another guy, someone who I rode with last time got compressed in turn 3, and the kickstand lifted and he low sided, mostly damage to the bike, scuffed leathers and bruises. Another guy high sided in turn 1, and the new guy (on a Monster BTW Turbo) high sided going up the hill while cranked over before entering the bowl. These accidents to me represent letting the adrenaline and excitement get the best of you, and then pushing into a zone that track and tire temps and ability can't handle. It was different in June, warmer weather, and no one from our group crashed, even the guy who low sided in turn 3 was fine. Some of you may think I am being too anal when I post and I am sure to you must think he is being way to analytical about this. I assure you I am not. As much as is humanly possible I storyboard and then try to practice anything I might encounter on the track, if safely possible. These crashes reminder me of that fact.

Rhody...

You don't have to provide disclaimers for me, rhody. A friend of mine had one of the last releases of XR750s available to the public. What a handful! I'd rather have a monster, but I should have snagged one of those HD flat-trackers for a fraction of the price. Hind-sight is so alluring.

turbo said:
You don't have to provide disclaimers for me, rhody. A friend of mine had one of the last releases of XR750s available to the public. What a handful! I'd rather have a monster, but I should have snagged one of those HD flat-trackers for a fraction of the price. Hind-sight is so alluring.
That's why when I see guys on bikes less powerful, or almost just as powerful, and I think of my track experience, I give a sigh of relief that I didn't get caught in the excitement and adrenaline that these guys did. Maybe my brain training helped more than I gave it credit for. I will never know for sure unless I continue it and push the 600cc Kawasaki harder next time. If I don't crash then, I may have stumbled onto something very valuable to prevent injury, financial loss due to fixing a busted bike.
What a kick that would be, eh ?

Rhody...

Less people would have fallen had they been smoother on the throttle in the turns, and ratcheted up as they were told. Although a lot of people fell, the majority didn't. Saw a box stock ZX6R in red and yellow groups they were having a blast.

Be Real said:
Less people would have fallen had they been smoother on the throttle in the turns, and ratcheted up as they were told. Although a lot of people fell, the majority didn't. Saw a box stock ZX6R in red and yellow groups they were having a blast.
Ok, what venue are we talking about here, the Loudon track day that just happened or something you saw awhile ago, and if so, where ?

Rhody...

NHMS Monday 10/17/11.

Thought I would post a couple of pictures from the alzeheimer's memorial ride a few week back.

That is the driveway of the fire dept hall used to hold the event.

Here is a https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=8061568c80431d50&id=8061568C80431D50!5879&sff=1" to all the photos...

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1995/alzeheimersride2.jpg [Broken]

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/2530/alzeheimersride.jpg [Broken]

Check out the red one of a kind ZX14 with hand built side car and center hubs, the bike is worth well over 100K, and a thousand hours of build time.
The pair of guys who build them do it for fun, not profit.
They have sold a few bikes with side cars along the way.
Amazing to see the engineering and craftsmanship up close.
The pictures in no way does the bike justice, IMHO.

Rhody...

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli. You're giant hair and racing will be missed greatly. The motorcycle world lost a great young racer

Amazon said:
R.I.P Marco Simoncelli. You're giant hair and racing will be missed greatly. The motorcycle world lost a great young racer
Amazon, how about a few links, tributes, racing clips etc..., so sad, but he left us doing what he loved, how many of us can say that about our lives ?

Rhody... :cry:

Amazon said:
Here's a clip of the crash, you can see his helmets comes off and bounces away. His picture is actually on the October page of my MotoCourse calendar.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fdd_1319359606
Oh God, that was horrible, I saw a rider making the sign of the cross. Mercifully, at least is was as near instant as possible. Looks to me like as gruesome as it sounds he was partially decapitated. RIP http://www.google.com/imgres?q=marc...&tbnw=206&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0".

Rhody...

I am going to write details of the new 2012 model in a future post. I thought this video might give you a taste. I like the fact that the wind noise and buffeting is picked up in the video. The rider appears to have traction control off. I wish some of you could experience the thrust (close to 1g) and braking (about the same, -1g).

Words cannot begin to describe it when you add the noise of the motor, the wind blast, and the feel through the chassis. I couldn't post the past day or two. The death Marco Simoncelli still bothers me. For those of you who don't know, he was best friends with Valentino Rossi, one of the riders who collided with him. The other was Colin Edwards, Rossi's former teammate when he rode for Yamaha. Marco was trying to save it and for a split second found himself in the wrong place at the wrong instant. In racing, that is all it takes my friends.

Rhody...

RIP Marco...

Kurdt said:
Instant? Apparently he was conscious for 15 minutes in the medical centre.

Wishful thinking on my part Kurdt then, I apologize. I would hope that those closest to him could have been there when he passed, but I doubt it. This really really sucks...

Rhody... :redface:

Nice recovery at 2:36!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN3MFLwlsEg&hd=1"

I got a "Buzz" from watching it, I am sure nothing compared to actually being there and onboard.
The Isle of Man TT was for many years the most prestigious motor-cycle race in the world. Between 1907 and 2009 there have been 237 deaths during official practices or races on the Snaefell Mountain Course.

Rhody...

<h2>1. What is the purpose of needing a runway?</h2><p>The purpose of needing a runway is to provide a designated space for aircraft to take off and land. This allows for safe and efficient operations for both commercial and private flights.</p><h2>2. How long does a runway need to be?</h2><p>The length of a runway can vary depending on the type of aircraft using it and the conditions of the surrounding area. Generally, a commercial runway needs to be at least 8,000 feet long, while a private runway can be as short as 2,000 feet.</p><h2>3. What materials are runways made of?</h2><p>Runways are typically made of concrete or asphalt, as these materials are strong enough to withstand the weight and impact of aircraft. They also provide a smooth surface for planes to take off and land on.</p><h2>4. How are runways maintained?</h2><p>Runways require regular maintenance to ensure they are safe for use. This includes repairing any cracks or potholes, clearing debris, and ensuring proper lighting and signage. Runways also need to be regularly inspected for any potential hazards.</p><h2>5. Can a runway be used for other purposes?</h2><p>In some cases, a runway may be used for other purposes such as emergency landings, military training, or as a drag strip for racing events. However, these alternate uses must be approved and coordinated with air traffic control to ensure the safety of all parties involved.</p>

1. What is the purpose of needing a runway?

The purpose of needing a runway is to provide a designated space for aircraft to take off and land. This allows for safe and efficient operations for both commercial and private flights.

2. How long does a runway need to be?

The length of a runway can vary depending on the type of aircraft using it and the conditions of the surrounding area. Generally, a commercial runway needs to be at least 8,000 feet long, while a private runway can be as short as 2,000 feet.

3. What materials are runways made of?

Runways are typically made of concrete or asphalt, as these materials are strong enough to withstand the weight and impact of aircraft. They also provide a smooth surface for planes to take off and land on.

4. How are runways maintained?

Runways require regular maintenance to ensure they are safe for use. This includes repairing any cracks or potholes, clearing debris, and ensuring proper lighting and signage. Runways also need to be regularly inspected for any potential hazards.

5. Can a runway be used for other purposes?

In some cases, a runway may be used for other purposes such as emergency landings, military training, or as a drag strip for racing events. However, these alternate uses must be approved and coordinated with air traffic control to ensure the safety of all parties involved.