Surface Integral: Evaluating with Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the surface integral of a vector field over an open surface defined by an ellipsoid. Various methods are proposed, including parameterization in spherical coordinates, using the divergence theorem, and finding the surface normal vector. The confusion over terminology and notation is clarified, and the final solution involves using the cross product method to find the normal vector and integrating in spherical coordinates. The factor of \sin\phi in the normal vector is important in evaluating the integral.
TheFerruccio

Homework Statement

Find
[tex]\iint\limits_S \mathbf{F}\cdot \hat n\, dA[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\mathbf{F} = [1, 1, a][/tex]

[tex]S: s^2+y^2+4z^2 = 4, z \geq 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I parameterized in spherical coordinates

[tex]x=4\sin{\phi}\cos{\theta}[/tex]
[tex]y=4\sin{\phi}\sin{\theta}[/tex]
[tex]z=\cos{\phi}[/tex]

Then, I found the surface normal vector, and finding the normal vector is what exploded into something that I couldn't simplify very well. I have a feeling that, because it exploded, that there is a simpler way for me to go about doing this. I thought about using the divergence theorem, but I didn't see how I could use it with an open surface.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a surface defined implicitly by F(x,y,z)=0, the normal is given by ∇F.

Well, what did you get for that "normal vector"? I, taking the cross product of the the derivatives of [itex]\vec{r}= 4 sin(\phi)cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ 4 sin(\phi)sin(\theta)\vec{j}+ cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/itex], got, giving the "vector differential of surface area",
[tex]4sin^2(\phi)cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ 4sin^2(\phi)sin(\theta)\vec{j}+ 16 sin(\phi)cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/tex]

With [itex]\vec{F}= \vec{i}+ \vec{j}+ a\vec{k}[/itex] then the integrand is
[tex](4 sin^2(\phi)cos(\theta)+ 4sin^2(\phi)sin(\theta)+ 16a sin(\phi)cos(\phi))d\theta d\phi[/tex]

I don't see anything terribly difficult to integrate in that- use the standard identity [itex]sin^2(\phi)= (1/2)(1- cos(2\phi)[/itex].

Or, avoid the surface integral entirely by using the divergence theorem: integrate [itex]\nabla\cdot \vec{F}[/itex] over the interior of the ellipsoid.

HallsofIvy said:
Well, what did you get for that "normal vector"? I, taking the cross product of the the derivatives of [itex]\vec{r}= 4 sin(\phi)cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ 4 sin(\phi)sin(\theta)\vec{j}+ cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/itex], got, giving the "vector differential of surface area",
[tex]4sin^2(\phi)cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ 4sin^2(\phi)sin(\theta)\vec{j}+ 16 sin(\phi)cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/tex]

With [itex]\vec{F}= \vec{i}+ \vec{j}+ a\vec{k}[/itex] then the integrand is
[tex](4 sin^2(\phi)cos(\theta)+ 4sin^2(\phi)sin(\theta)+ 16a sin(\phi)cos(\phi))d\theta d\phi[/tex]

I don't see anything terribly difficult to integrate in that- use the standard identity [itex]sin^2(\phi)= (1/2)(1- cos(2\phi)[/itex].

Or, avoid the surface integral entirely by using the divergence theorem: integrate [itex]\nabla\cdot \vec{F}[/itex] over the interior of the ellipsoid.

Yes, that's what I got. However, you putting "normal vector" in quotes hints at me entirely borking up the terminology. I was basing "normal vector" off of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_normal The whole reason I got stuck was because I thought I had to divide, then, by the magnitude, so I can get a pure direction. Is this not the case?

My confusion over using the divergence theorem was addressed in the first post. The surface isn't closed (since it's only the top half), and I think I'd be getting a net 0 divergence over the entire volume (the vector field uniformly travels in and out of the object). It doesn't seem like it would be helpful.

Maybe my confusion is from mixing up the concept of calculating flux (which is what I'm doing here) and outright finding the surface area. Is finding the surface area itself where I should be focusing on finding the surface normal?

*edit* also, since the integrand is now in spherical coordinates, isn't the _______ (forgot the name) now [tex]\sin{\theta}d\theta d\phi[/tex]?

Last edited:
TheFerruccio said:
Yes, that's what I got. However, you putting "normal vector" in quotes hints at me entirely borking up the terminology. I was basing "normal vector" off of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_normal The whole reason I got stuck was because I thought I had to divide, then, by the magnitude, so I can get a pure direction. Is this not the case?
Yes and no. The vector [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] in the integral indeed refers to the unit vector normal to the surface, but to actually evaluate the integral, you also need dA. It turns out, the cross product method of finding the normal automatically gives you dA as well. In other words, using the notation from the wiki article, you have

[tex]\hat{n}\,dA = \frac{\partial\mathbf{x}}{\partial s}\times\frac{\partial\mathbf{x}}{\partial t}\,ds\,dt[/tex]
*edit* also, since the integrand is now in spherical coordinates, isn't the _______ (forgot the name) now [tex]\sin{\theta}d\theta d\phi[/tex]?
In the normal vector you found, there's a common factor of [itex]\sin\phi[/itex]. That's exactly the factor you're referring to here. (Note you switched the roles of theta and phi from how you were using them in the original post.)

1. What is a surface integral problem?

A surface integral problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the value of a function over a two-dimensional surface. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as mass, volume, and electric flux.

2. How is a surface integral problem different from a regular integral?

A regular integral involves finding the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space, while a surface integral involves finding the area over a surface in a three-dimensional space. This means that a surface integral problem requires an additional variable to be integrated over.

3. What are the different types of surface integrals?

There are two types of surface integrals: the single surface integral and the double surface integral. The single surface integral is used to find the flux through a surface, while the double surface integral is used to find the surface area of a three-dimensional object.

4. What is the formula for a surface integral?

The formula for a surface integral varies depending on the type of integral being used. For a single surface integral, the formula is ∫∫S F(x,y,z) dS, where S is the surface and F(x,y,z) is the function being integrated. For a double surface integral, the formula is ∫∫S F(x,y,z) dS, where S is the surface and F(x,y,z) is the function being integrated.

5. How can I solve a surface integral problem?

To solve a surface integral problem, you will need to identify the type of integral being used, determine the limits of integration, and then use the appropriate formula to calculate the integral. It is important to have a good understanding of multivariable calculus and vector calculus in order to successfully solve surface integral problems.