WHICH IS HARDER PHYSICS 1 or 2 ADVICE NEEDED

In summary: You are rotating electric and magnetic fields around a central point. So, if someone is having trouble with E&M, they might struggle with RMM as well.
FahimP
WHICH IS HARDER PHYSICS 1 or 2 ADVICE NEEDED !

Hello PEOPLE ...
I am currently community and very close to transfering.
My major is civil engineering. There's only 1 semester left for me then i transfer.
I need some advise asap.

I am currently taking University Physics 1 at my college and I have a A average so far with 1 more test to go. I am pretty sure I can pull an A in the class b/c the final will only be worth lik 8 % if if you have an average of 95% or higher. I am not overly smart or anything and my teacher is kind of easy that's why I have an A. But i also have studied a lot for this class.

PHYSICS 2 is really scaring me at this point and i have to take next semester. SHoud I be scared of will it be easier than PHY1.

When i took calculus 1 for the first time it was really hard b/c i was new to the subject and i got a B. But taking CALC 2 and Multivariable CALC 3 i got A s in both those classes. They were harder than calc 1 but i understood them easier.

My concern is will PHY 2 be easier than PHY 1. PHY 1 is by far the hardest class i have taken so far and people are telling me that only like 10 or people pass PHY 2 every semester per class of out of 30 kids. meaning 20 people drop the class every sem.
ANY ADVICE ...

Physics news on Phys.org

What are physics 1 and 2? I assume your Physics 1 is Mechanics-based, while Physics 2 is Electricity & magnetism?

What advice do you want? I assume you have to take Physics 2 so you don't really have a choice. Just do your best!

Some people have more trouble understanding concepts like electricity and magnetism versus mechanics-related concepts since they're not as easy to visualize. Either way, it's an introductory physics course and since you're in a science-related major I'd think you wouldn't have too much trouble with it.

dav2008 said:
What are physics 1 and 2? I assume your Physics 1 is Mechanics-based, while Physics 2 is Electricity & magnetism?

What advice do you want? I assume you have to take Physics 2 so you don't really have a choice. Just do your best!

Some people have more trouble understanding concepts like electricity and magnetism versus mechanics-related concepts since they're not as easy to visualize. Either way, it's an introductory physics course and since you're in a science-related major I'd think you wouldn't have too much trouble with it.

What's hard to one person is easy to another. What dav2008 says is right, E&M gives some people fits. But others think rotational mechanics is harder.

Most students find each class offers plenty of challenge.

lisab said:
What's hard to one person is easy to another. What dav2008 says is right, E&M gives some people fits. But others think rotational mechanics is harder.

Most students find each class offers plenty of challenge.

I am taking these courses right now. And yes, Rotational mechanics is something new for Engineering freshmen. However, in Electricity and Magnetism Course, there is a lot of integration.

I cannot give you specific advice on which class will be harder for you as everyone's strengths and abilities are different. However, I can offer some general advice for success in physics courses. Firstly, it is important to have a strong foundation in the concepts and principles from physics 1 before moving on to physics 2. Make sure you fully understand the material and are able to apply it to different scenarios. Secondly, it is important to stay on top of the material and not fall behind. Physics is a subject that builds upon itself, so if you don't understand a concept in physics 1, it will make it harder to understand the material in physics 2. Thirdly, practice, practice, practice. Physics is a subject that requires a lot of problem-solving and the more you practice, the better you will become at it. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help. If you are struggling with a concept or problem, seek help from your professor, classmates, or a tutor. Good luck in your studies!

1. Which is harder, Physics 1 or Physics 2?

The difficulty of Physics 1 or 2 can vary depending on the individual's strengths and learning style. However, many students find Physics 2 to be more challenging due to its focus on electricity and magnetism, as well as more complex mathematical concepts.

2. What is the main difference between Physics 1 and 2?

The main difference between Physics 1 and 2 is the topics covered. Physics 1 focuses on mechanics, motion, and forces, while Physics 2 covers electricity and magnetism, optics, and thermodynamics.

3. Which class should I take first, Physics 1 or 2?

It is recommended to take Physics 1 before Physics 2, as the concepts and principles learned in Physics 1 are built upon in Physics 2. However, some students may choose to take them simultaneously or in a different order depending on their academic goals and schedules.

4. How can I succeed in Physics 1 or 2?

To succeed in either Physics 1 or 2, it is important to attend lectures, actively participate in class, and complete all assigned readings and homework. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help from the professor or a tutor can greatly improve understanding and performance.

5. Do I need a strong math background to do well in Physics 1 or 2?

A basic understanding of mathematics, including algebra and trigonometry, is necessary for success in Physics 1 and 2. However, the level of math required may vary depending on the specific topics being covered. It is important to review and practice math skills as needed to excel in these courses.