What caused my circuit breaker to fail and why is there a 50A fuse?

In summary, the 50A fuse blew because it was carrying less current than the other circuit breakers. The main fuse is usually larger than the other circuit breakers, so it can still blow even when the currents through the individual circuit breakers are all below the breakers' trip point of 20A each.
Ed Aboud
Hi all!

I have an issue with the circuit breaker in my house and was wondering would anyone be able to shed some light on what's going on.

So last night, I plugged in the hoover and all the electrical devices in my house switched off. I wasn't surprised as I had many devices on at the time so I went out to the boiler room to reset the circuit breaker.

But to my surprise, I noticed that none of the switches had been tripped. After a few minutes I realized that there was also a 50A fuse in the board (I attached a picture). Luckily there was a new 50A fuse in the boiler room, and I replaced the blown fuse. The electricity came back on and all was good.

What I'm wondering is, and excuse my ignorance (its been a while since I've touched circuit theory), why didn't any of the switches trip?

And why did the 50A fuse blow instead?

Why is there a 50A fuse in the first place, I though that was the purpose of the circuit breakers?

Also, I had a discussion with an employee in an electrical store, he didn't really shed too much light on the problem but just suggested replacing the 50A fuse with a 63A fuse. But, to be honest, I don't feel this is entirely necessary as this was a rare incident.Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ed(I marked the 50A fuse in the picture)

Attachments

• IMG_0076__1291474604_86.45.9.67.jpg
    IMG_0076__1291474604_86.45.9.67.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 458
Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
The 50A is the main path by which all of the electricity flows into your home. The main is always smaller than the sum of the other breakers because odds are you'll never load up every circuit in your house enough to trip it...but 50A is pretty small and in your case, you tripped it.

...btw, is that an actual electrical panel? It looks like it is made of wood and drywall... :confused:
I've never seen a panel with that configuration.

Thanks dlgoff for the prompt reply. I'm not too sure about this. Would the circuit breakers not already be hot considering I had many devices on at the time?

Thanks
Ed

Ed Aboud said:
Thanks dlgoff for the prompt reply. I'm not too sure about this. Would the circuit breakers not already be hot considering I had many devices on at the time?

Thanks
Ed
The breaker temperature will be dependent on the current load. i.e. more load means more temperature. When it's too hot, it opens.

russ_watters said:
The 50A is the main path by which all of the electricity flows into your home. The main is always smaller than the sum of the other breakers because odds are you'll never load up every circuit in your house enough to trip it...but 50A is pretty small and in your case, you tripped it.

...btw, is that an actual electrical panel? It looks like it is made of wood and drywall... :confused:
I've never seen a panel with that configuration.

Haha yeah it is the electrical panel, but its actually made of metal.

I still don't understand why that fuse blew instead of one of the circuit breakers switching?

Most likely the reason is that each individual breaker was carrying less than its rated current although probably not much less. When all added together they exceed 50 amps. I have had this happen in a house with an older service. (Fuses)

Averagesupernova said:
Most likely the reason is that each individual breaker was carrying less than its rated current although probably not much less. When all added together they exceed 50 amps. I have had this happen in a house with an older service. (Fuses)

I was thinking along the lines of this, but I noticed that on each circuit breaker it says 20A and there are around 30 of them. Does that make a difference?

Yes, that's what we were saying: 20x30=600 and 600 is a lot bigger than 50.

russ_watters said:
Yes, that's what we were saying: 20x30=600 and 600 is a lot bigger than 50.

20 x 30 = 600?? is that how the whole current flow to the main should be calculated?

sportynumair said:
20 x 30 = 600?? is that how the whole current flow to the main should be calculated?
No. The point is that the 50A fuse can blow even when the currents through the individual circuit breakers are all below the breakers' trip point of 20A each.

Also, assuming this is a US residence, the main fuse might be on a 240V (do they make double-pole fuses...?) line while the other breakers are 120V. So the 50A main is really 100A of 120V service.

In any case, the reason you can have a main that is so much smaller than the sum of the individual breakers is because as we said, you never have all of your circuits fully loaded at the same time. This is called electrical load diversity. Calculating the required main size is somewhat complicated, which is why a licensed electrical engineer is required by law to be the one to do it. The calculations are driven by the National Electric Code (NEC).

For an apartment building, accurate estimation of diversity is critical to properly sizing the incoming service and transformers. For residences, it seems like today people are oversizing them. I have a 100A service on a relatively new 1500 sq ft townhouse with all gas heating/cooking. Even if I ripped out the gas furnace and put in an electric one, I'd still have enough amperage to cover it.

1. What is a circuit breaker problem?

A circuit breaker problem refers to a malfunction or failure in a circuit breaker, which is a safety device that automatically interrupts the flow of electricity in an electrical circuit when it detects an overload or short circuit. This is important because it helps prevent electrical fires and damage to appliances.

2. How do I know if I have a circuit breaker problem?

There are a few signs that may indicate a circuit breaker problem, such as tripped breakers, flickering lights, burning smells, or appliances not working properly. If you experience any of these issues, it is best to have a professional electrician inspect your circuit breaker to determine the cause of the problem.

3. How can I fix a circuit breaker problem?

Fixing a circuit breaker problem can be dangerous and should only be done by a licensed electrician. Attempting to fix it yourself can put you at risk for electrical shock or further damage. A professional electrician will have the necessary skills and equipment to safely diagnose and repair the issue.

4. How can I prevent circuit breaker problems?

To prevent circuit breaker problems, it is important to regularly check and maintain your electrical system. This includes not overloading circuits, using surge protectors, and avoiding the use of extension cords. It is also important to have your electrical system inspected by a licensed electrician every few years to ensure it is in good working condition.

5. How much does it cost to fix a circuit breaker problem?

The cost of fixing a circuit breaker problem can vary depending on the cause and severity of the issue. It is best to contact a few licensed electricians for quotes and to compare prices. Keep in mind that the safety of your home and family should be the top priority, and it is worth investing in a professional and reliable electrician for any electrical repairs.