Solving the Rotational Angle of a Strangely-Shaped Slab

In summary, a thin slab of material with a uniform density and total mass of 3.0 kg is cut in a strange shape bounded by the curves y=4-x^2 and x=0. It is initially lying in the xy plane and is free to rotate about the y axis. A force of 8.0 Newtons is constantly applied perpendicular to the slab at the outer bottom corner. To determine the angle (in radians) it has rotated through after 20 seconds, you must first calculate the moment of inertia through an integral of r^2 dm. Then, using the formula M=I\alpha, you can solve for the angular acceleration. From there, it is a simple problem of constant angular acceleration where you
mopar969
A thin slab of material of uniform density with a total mass 3.0 kg is cut in a strange shape: It is bounded by the curves y=4-x^2 and x=0. Initially it is lying in the xy plane. It is free to rotate about the y axi. A force of 8.0 Newtons is constantly applied perpendicular to the slab at the outer bottom corner. What angle (In radians) has it rotated through after 20 seconds?

Please help me get started with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
The main thing you will want to do is to determine the moment of inertia from the function given. To do this you will have to do an integral of r^2dm. Then simply use M = I[tex]\alpha[/tex] to determine the angular acceleration.

The integral of r^2 dm is 1/3r^3. Buthow did you know to integrate r^2 dm?

mopar969 said:
The integral of r^2 dm is 1/3r^3.

That is the integral of r^2 dr... you need to find a relationship between m & r so you can put dm in terms of dr...

The reason you do that integral is because that is the definition of the moment of inertia. And since you don't have a nice common shape like a rod, circle, etc. you must integrate.

Now what do I do to solve the problem. Also what are my limits when I integrated?

How do I apply the M=I to the alpha to this problem. Also, how do I figure in the time?

My professor states that this method is incorrect and that I need to find the area of the object to solve the problem. Please help asap.

mopar969 said:
My professor states that this method is incorrect and that I need to find the area of the object to solve the problem. Please help asap.

kjohnson :smile: is correct …

you need ∫ r2dm (= density times ∫∫ x2dxdy), not ∫ r2dr

please show us your calculation for ∫ r2dm

(if you don't understand how to calculate a https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=31" you'd better say so now :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for clearing that up. Here is what I have done so far:
dm=(M/A)(dx)(dy)
So, I=integral of (R^2)(M/A)(dx)(dy)

But now how do I integrate that and what are my limits.

mopar969 said:
Thank you for clearing that up. Here is what I have done so far:
dm=(M/A)(dx)(dy)
So, I=integral of (R^2)(M/A)(dx)(dy)

But now how do I integrate that and what are my limits.

your limits are the area given in the question …

get on with it!​

So my limits are from 0 to 2. But How do I finish the rest of the problem?

Thank you tiny-tim for helping clear some of that up for him..

Once you have properly calculated the moment of inertia as stated above the next step is to solve for alpha. This is done by summing your moments and setting that equal to moment of inertia multiplied by alpha M=I [tex]\alpha[/tex]. Since you only have one force you only have one moment, then simply solve for alpha.

Once you have alpha its simply a constant angular acceleration problem where you know the acceleration and time.

1. How do you determine the rotational angle of a strangely-shaped slab?

The rotational angle of a strangely-shaped slab can be determined by using a protractor or measuring tool to measure the angle of rotation from the original position to the final position.

2. What factors affect the rotational angle of a strangely-shaped slab?

The rotational angle of a strangely-shaped slab can be affected by factors such as the shape and weight distribution of the slab, the surface it is resting on, and any external forces acting on it.

3. Can the rotational angle of a strangely-shaped slab be calculated mathematically?

Yes, the rotational angle of a strangely-shaped slab can be calculated using mathematical equations such as using trigonometry to determine the angle of rotation based on the length and width of the slab.

4. Are there any techniques for finding the rotational angle of a strangely-shaped slab without using tools?

Yes, there are techniques such as using the sun's position as a reference point and observing the shadow cast by the slab to determine the angle of rotation.

5. How is the rotational angle of a strangely-shaped slab useful in real-world applications?

The rotational angle of a strangely-shaped slab can be useful in various industries such as construction and engineering, as it helps in determining the stability and structural integrity of the slab, as well as in designing and positioning objects on the slab to prevent tipping over.