Chemical Engineering Grad with Physics undergrad?

In summary, if you are pursuing a degree in physics and want to pursue a degree in chemical engineering, you would need to take courses in chemistry that are beyond general chemistry. Additionally, you would need to have stellar work/research experience in chemical engineering and have recommendations from professors in the field.
chiako
Hello. I am currently a physics major attending a university where there is no true engineering degree. I was wondering if one who is pursuing a degree in physics would even have a chance of getting into a program involved with chemical engineering. To me, it seems the further along, physics and chemistry can intertwine together, especially when you look at such things as thermodynamics and quantum mechanics. My question is, would I qualify for entry into a graduate chemical engineering program (Generalize this. I am sure it depends all on the university being applied to) with an undergraduate degree in physics, or should I place my hope elsewhere? I am currently about a third of the way from completing my degree. Below is a list of courses I have, or will be taking:

Analytic Geometry and Calculus (three semester sequence)
Linear Algebra
Elementary Differential Equations
Introduction to Electrical Circuits
General Physics (two semester sequence)
Statics of Engineering
Intermediate Electricity and Magnetism (two semester sequence)
Introduction to Optics
Intermediate Mechanics
Introduction to Modern Physics
Thermal Physics
Quantum Mechanics (two semester sequence)
Atomic Physics
Nuclear Physics
Mathematics Electives (two semester sequence)
General Chemistry (two semester sequence)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
My question is, would I qualify for entry into a graduate chemical engineering program (Generalize this. I am sure it depends all on the university being applied to) with an undergraduate degree in physics...?

How can you generalize while acknowledging it depends on the university? Just based on your academic resume I'd say you have little chance unless you had some really stellar work/research experience in CE with great recommendations to go along with it.

fss said:
How can you generalize while acknowledging it depends on the university? Just based on your academic resume I'd say you have little chance unless you had some really stellar work/research experience in CE with great recommendations to go along with it.

The reason I say "generalize" is because all graduate programs for a certain subject have SOME kind of "base-line" of classes that needs to be completed with undergraduate studies. As far as "stellar work/research experience," are you trying to come off as condescending or something? If you are, knock it off. I didn't ask anything that remotely corresponded to my grades or research experience. My question can be further simplified into this: If one is pursuing a degree in physics, what classes would be needed, as a base-line, for thought of admittance into a Chemical Engineering program for graduate studies? You may assume I have all ready talked to college advisers. I am looking for third-party information at this time.

Last edited:
chiako said:
As far as "stellar work/research experience," are you trying to come off as condescending or something? If you are, knock it off. I didn't ask anything that remotely corresponded to my grades or research experience.

The title of your thread is:
Chemical Engineering Grad with Physics undergrad?
Do you not understand what typical graduate admissions criteria are? If not, perhaps you should get a better idea of what you're in for. This board as well as Google can provide you with a standard picture of a typical science/engineering advanced degree applicant. Since you don't seem to mind dealing in generalities, the basic criteria that pop up over and over are:

-Grades
-Standardized test scores
-Recommendations
-Research experience
My question can be further simplified into this: If one is pursuing a degree in physics, what classes would be needed, as a base-line, for thought of admittance into a Chemical Engineering program for graduate studies?

Seeing as you have taken exactly 2 chemistry courses, neither of which involved anything more difficult than redox reactions, I'd say any chemistry course past general chemistry would help your case. Is that too obvious? You haven't even taken a chemistry lab. Or, perhaps there's more to the story (kind of like my earlier post re: research and recommendations) than you've initially let on? Something (anything) that would help anyone give more informative advice?

Last edited:
If you don't think recommendations and research experience is relevant, here are some links to graduate CE programs that require that you submit them (which can therefore be assumed to be a factor in the admissions process). I tried to sample from a wide range of institutions so you can see how ubiquitous these requirements are.

http://www.cbe.buffalo.edu/admissions/graduate.php
http://www.seas.harvard.edu/audiences/prospective-graduates/faqs
http://www.cheme.cornell.edu/cheme/graduate/admissions.cfm [Broken]
http://web.mit.edu/cheme/academics/office/faqs.html
http://www.chbe.gatech.edu/grads/prospective/admissions.php [Broken]
http://www.che.vt.edu/grad_app.php
http://chms.engineering.ucdavis.edu/admissions/graduates/faq.html#pread_2 [Broken]
http://www.engr.ku.edu/prospective/graduate/apply/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for answering my question the second time around. You seem to be under the assumption that I haven't taken chemistry labs, which is far from the case. As per grades, research, recommendations, and what have you; if I didn't have those as it were, I wouldn't even consider this. My GPA has granted me two semesters on the Chancellor's list, and thrice on the Dean's. I have four semesters of chemical research. I have recommendations as it is.

All I wanted to know is what courses I should put more under my belt before trying to get into a program. Classes (or preparatory classes), not the process. For example, I was looking at Particle Physics with the University of North Texas. They assume a student has -certain classes- taken for admittance, in this case:

Cutnell & Johnson Physics; Krane Modern Physics;Fowles Analytical Mechanics;Arfken Essential Mathematical Methods for Physicists; Serway & Jewett Physics for Scientists & Engineers; Griffith Introduction to Quantum Mechanics; Bowley Introductory Statistical Mechanics.
Or, for less-specifics, from Princeton's entry:

A sound undergraduate education in physics and mathematics is assumed, including courses in electricity and magnetism, classical mechanics, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics, differential equations, and complex variables.
This is what I was looking for. This was taken from the 2011 Graduate Program catalog printed by the American Institute of Physics. I was hoping for, once again, a base-line of preparatory classes one might need to take before thinking of this degree choice so I can take them to be considered, along with my grades, my research, and recommendations. If I was unclear to begin with, I apologize, but it gives you no right to be abrasive as you have been.

I haven't found anything of these yet, except for such things (out of the same catalog) for Chemical Physics. Is there a difference between the two? Or can preparatory classes for Chemical Physics be applied to Chemical Engineering? Classes required for the former are (for Washington State University's AIP catalog entry):

Symon, Mechanics; Reitz, Milford, and Christy, Foundations of Electromagnetic Theory; Zemansky, Heat and Thermodynamics; Liboff, Introductory Quantum Mechanics; Boas, Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences; Eisberg and Resnick, Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles. Preparation in optics, solid state physics, nuclear physics, and/or acoustics is encouraged.

Last edited:

What is chemical engineering?

Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that applies principles of chemistry, physics, biology, and mathematics to design and develop processes for converting raw materials into useful products. Chemical engineers are involved in a wide range of industries, including pharmaceuticals, petrochemicals, food and beverage, and environmental engineering.

What is the difference between a chemical engineering graduate and a physics undergraduate?

A chemical engineering graduate has specialized knowledge and training in the principles of chemical engineering, which involves the design and operation of chemical processes. A physics undergraduate, on the other hand, has a broad understanding of the fundamental laws and principles of physics. While there may be some overlap in coursework, a chemical engineering graduate will have a deeper understanding of chemical processes and their application in industries.

What skills does a chemical engineering graduate with a physics undergraduate background possess?

A chemical engineering graduate with a physics undergraduate background has a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. They also have a good understanding of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and transport phenomena. Additionally, they possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, as well as the ability to work with complex systems and data.

What job opportunities are available for a chemical engineering graduate with a physics undergraduate degree?

A chemical engineering graduate with a physics undergraduate degree can pursue a variety of career paths. They may work in industries such as energy, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, or environmental engineering. They may also work in research and development, quality control, process design, or project management roles. Additionally, they can pursue further education in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, or environmental science.

What are the benefits of having a background in both chemical engineering and physics?

Holding a degree in both chemical engineering and physics can provide a unique skill set and perspective. This combination allows for a deeper understanding of chemical processes and their underlying physical principles. It also opens up a wider range of career opportunities in industries that require knowledge in both fields. Having a background in both disciplines can also make an individual more versatile and adaptable in the rapidly evolving fields of engineering and science.