Converting kN to Bar: An Explanation and Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a pressure gauge for calibration, with graduations in bar and kN. The gauge is to be calibrated using kN readings and the result should include uncertainty in measurements. The diameter of the piston provided by the customer is 5.4cm. The conversation also addresses how to read kN values in terms of pressure and how to relate kN values to the piston radius provided by the customer. It is also mentioned that the pressure gauge is being used for a hydraulic jack, which can also double as a weight scale. The conversion for pressure to force is explained, taking into account the piston area and diameter.
josey584
I have received a pr. gauge for calibration. It's graduations are in bar and kN. The gauge is to be calibrated using kN readings and result should be given along with the uncertainty in measurements. The diameter of the piston used in the system (provided by the customer) is 5.4cm.
Can anybody help me how to read the kN values in terms of pressure? I would highly appreciate if the units are elaborated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this for a weight scale of some sort? kN is generally an abbreviation for kiloNewtons which is a unit of force, not pressure. If it's in kN/m2, then the conversion is 1 bar = 100 kN/m2.

Last edited:
Thank you Goest for the comment.

The pressure gauge is used for hydraulic jack.

The outer scale of the gauge is in bar. Inner scales (3 in nos) are graduated in kN with different ranges which can be used with different pistons.
I need to relate the kN values with the piston radius provided by the customer.

Thanks and regards

josey584

It sounds like the hydraulic jack is also doubling as a weight scale. That's not unusual, so I'll assume that's what the kN scale is being used for. So the conversion is to simply multiply pressure times piston area. If your piston is 5.4 cm, the area of that piston is 0.00229 m2*. The force produced by the piston is the piston area multiplied by pressure. For example, let's say you have a pressure of 1 bar:

Force = 1 bar * 0.00229 m2 * 100 = 0.229 kN

* Note that the area being used is actually the seal diameter which is the cylinder ID if your seals are on the piston which is the more typical case. If the seals are in the cylinder, the piston diameter is the actual diameter you use. I just wanted to point this out because you shouldn't measure the piston to get the area, you should measure the ID of the cylinder.

Sure, I can help you with reading the kN values in terms of pressure. First, let's start with the units. kN stands for kilonewton, which is a unit of force. This unit is commonly used in engineering and mechanics. On the other hand, bar is a unit of pressure, specifically in the metric system.

To convert kN to bar, we need to use the formula for pressure, which is force divided by area. In this case, the force is measured in kN and the area is given to us as 5.4cm in diameter. We need to convert the diameter to meters, so we can use the formula in SI units. 5.4cm is equivalent to 0.054m.

Now, we can plug in the values to the formula: pressure (in bar) = force (in kN) / area (in m^2). This gives us the equation: pressure (in bar) = force (in kN) / (π x (0.054m)^2).

To get the pressure in bar, we need to multiply the kN value by a conversion factor of 1000/π x (0.054m)^2. This will give us the pressure value in bar.

As for the uncertainty in measurements, this is typically given by the manufacturer of the pressure gauge. It is important to follow their guidelines and procedures for calibration to ensure accurate and precise readings.

I hope this helps in understanding how to read kN values in terms of pressure and how to convert them to bar. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is pressure gauge calibration?

Pressure gauge calibration is the process of adjusting and verifying the accuracy of a pressure gauge. This ensures that the gauge gives precise and reliable readings, making it an essential step in many industries where pressure measurements are critical.

2. How often should pressure gauges be calibrated?

The frequency of pressure gauge calibration depends on various factors such as the type of gauge, its usage, and the industry it is used in. In general, pressure gauges should be calibrated at least once a year to ensure accuracy. However, certain industries may require more frequent calibrations, such as every six months or even monthly.

3. What are the methods used for pressure gauge calibration?

The two main methods used for pressure gauge calibration are deadweight tester calibration and pressure comparator calibration. Deadweight tester calibration involves using calibrated weights to apply pressure to the gauge, while pressure comparator calibration uses a reference gauge to compare and adjust the readings of the gauge being calibrated.

4. Can pressure gauges be calibrated in-house or should it be done by a professional?

While simple pressure gauges can be calibrated in-house using a deadweight tester, for more accurate and precise calibrations, it is recommended to have a professional calibration service perform the calibration. They have specialized equipment and expertise to ensure accurate results.

5. What is the importance of pressure gauge calibration?

Pressure gauge calibration is crucial for maintaining accuracy and reliability in pressure measurements. In industries such as manufacturing, aviation, and healthcare, incorrect pressure readings can lead to serious consequences. Regular calibration ensures that pressure gauges are functioning correctly and can help identify any potential issues before they cause problems.