Rocking frequency of half-cylinder

• Thread starter smolloy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the author is trying to calculate the rocking frequency of a half-cylindrical arch. They started by calculating the position of the centre of mass for an arch, and then used the limiting case when the inner radius approaches the outer radius. They calculated the limiting value for this as (3R)/π (i.e. approximately 95% of the full radius). When you rock the arch to some angle, θ, you can then draw a line connecting the centre of mass to the point of contact with the floor, and you can resolve the gravitational force perpendicular to this line. Multiplying this resolved force by the length of the line (found by a bit of trig with triangles), gives the torque. Since
smolloy
Hi all,
I'm trying to calculate the rocking frequency of a half-cylindrical arch. That is, a half-cylinder, that has had a smaller half-cylinder "bitten" out of it. If placed with the curved surface on the floor, it can be made to rock from side to side (sort of like an inverted pendulum).

In calculating this, I have come up with the following differential equation:
[tex]\theta'' = -g\frac{3}{\pi}R\theta[/tex]
Where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle of the arch from its nominal position, g is the gravitational constant, and R is the radius of the arch.

The problem is that I interpret this as meaning that the frequency is proportional to the square root of the radius, when observation tells me that it should be an inverse relationship (i.e. large radius leads to low frequency).

Have I interpreted the differential equation incorrectly, or have I made an error somewhere in my derivation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi smolloy! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a pi: π :wink:)

your equation is wrong :redface:

you can use either conservation of energy or τ = Iα …

show us what you get :smile:

Hmmm... that's what I thought.

I started by calculating the position of the centre of mass for an arch, and then using the limiting case when the inner radius approaches the outer radius. I calculated the limiting value for this as (3R)/π (i.e. approximately 95% of the full radius).

When you rock the arch to some angle, θ, you can then draw a line connecting the centre of mass to the point of contact with the floor, and you can resolve the gravitational force perpendicular to this line. Multiplying this resolved force by the length of the line (found by a bit of trig with triangles), gives the torque.

Since torque is the rate of change of angular momentum, you can then use this result to write down the previous equation (you also need to use the small angle approximations to sin(x)-->x and cos(x)-->1).

Sigh... I *know* I'm wrong, but I can't figure out why!

well, your torque is proportional to R, and your moment of inertia is proportional to … ? :smile:

Ah! :)

The equation I wrote down was as follows:
[tex]m\theta'' = -mg\frac{3}{\pi}R\theta[/tex]

But perhaps that is incorrect? Perhaps the m on the left hand side should be [tex]mR^2k^2[/tex] (where R.k is the distance between the centre of mass and the point of contact with the floor)?

This would imply that the mass cancels out (as in the case of a pendulum), and that [tex]R^{-1}[/tex] appears on the right hand side (as required)...

Is this what you meant?

yes, you were using τ = mα instead of τ = Iα ! :rolleyes:

happy new year! :smile:

1. What is the rocking frequency of a half-cylinder?

The rocking frequency of a half-cylinder refers to the rate at which the half-cylinder oscillates back and forth when subject to external forces or disturbances.

2. How is the rocking frequency of a half-cylinder measured?

The rocking frequency of a half-cylinder can be measured by using a frequency meter or oscilloscope to record the number of oscillations per second.

3. What factors affect the rocking frequency of a half-cylinder?

The rocking frequency of a half-cylinder can be affected by various factors such as the mass, shape, size, and material properties of the half-cylinder, as well as the amplitude and direction of external forces.

4. Why is the rocking frequency of a half-cylinder important?

The rocking frequency of a half-cylinder is important because it can provide valuable information about the dynamic behavior and stability of structures, such as ships and offshore platforms, which are subjected to rocking motions.

5. Can the rocking frequency of a half-cylinder be controlled or adjusted?

Yes, the rocking frequency of a half-cylinder can be controlled or adjusted by changing the properties of the half-cylinder, such as its mass or shape, or by applying external forces in a specific direction and amplitude.