I need a proof for this binomial property.

In summary: Hurkyl: Maybe using the Gaussian integers \mathbb{Z}[i] would be an even better idea. You'd have a chance to make the square root go away. :)In summary, Tony is looking for a proof for a binomial property and has been researching for many hours on his own and on the web. He has found a formula involving Pell numbers and Fermat numbers but needs help understanding it and finding a way to use it in the proof. He has also shared a paper he wrote on the topic and is looking for someone to study the period of Pell numbers modulo Fermat numbers of primes, which could potentially aid in the proof. Hurkyl suggests using number fields such as \mathbb{Z}
T.Rex
Hi,
I've spent dozen of hours searching by my-self and dozen of hours searching on the Web. Now I need help.
Who could provide a proof for this binomial property ? I need it for another proof.
Thanks
Tony

Let: [tex]F_n=2^{2^n}+1 , n \geq 2 .[/tex]

Prove: [tex]F_n \text{ prime } \Longrightarrow
F_n \mid A_{k_n} , \text{ where } k_n=2^{3 \times 2^{n-2}-1} \text{
and } A_{k_n} = \sum_{i=0}^{k_n/2}{k_n \choose 2i}
2^i[/tex]
Examples:
[tex]n=2 , F_2=17 , k_2=4 , A_{k_2}=17[/tex]
[tex]n=3 , F_3=257 , k_3=32 , A_{k_3}=257*1409*2448769[/tex]
[tex]n=4 , F_4=65537 , k_4=2048 , A_{k_4}=\text{very big} \equiv 0 \
(\text{mod} F_4)[/tex]
[tex]n=5 , F_5=4294967297 , k_5=8388608 , A_{k_5}=\text{VERY big} \neq 0 \ (\text{mod} F_5)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula can be checked with this PARI/gp program:
binomialmod(a,b,p)= B=1; while(a!=0 && b!=0,a_=a%p;b_=b%p;a=(a-a_)/p;b=(b-b_)/p; B=(B*(binomial(a_,b_)%p)%p)); return(B)

l(n)=S=0;F=2^2^n+1;k=2^(3*2^(n-2)-1);for(i=0,k/2, B=(binomialmod(k,2*i,F)*((2^i)%F))%F;S=(B+S)%F); print(n," ",F," ",k," ",S)

l(2)

Well, you do know that

[tex]
\sum_{i=0}^n {n \choose i} x^n = (1+x)^n
[/tex]

right?

Maybe it would help to see if you can do sequence manipulations to eliminate the odd terms from this sequence...

(then again, it might not)

Fermat numbers and Pell Sequence

Hi Gerald, Hurkyl,

Thanks trying to help me.
The formula I give in the first post of this thread gives Pell numbers.
While studying a certain Lucas Sequence, I found that it seemed that this Lucas Sequence could give a fastest proof of Fermat numbers primality than Pepin's test. Then I wrote a paper (no proof, only computing facts plus historical facts from E. Lucas) explaining that. The formula appeared when I tried to find other ways for computing the Pell Sequence.

I talked about this in another thread in this forum:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=49778
and here is my paper: http://tony.reix.free.fr/Mersenne/PrimalityTest4FermatNumbers.pdf

I looked at the A000 sequences you talked about, but found no help.

About the (1+x)^n formula, yes I thought about using it, but I failed finding any way for finding some other formula where the Fermat number appears clearly.

If you have time, read my paper. I think I missed many things. But, what's interesting is that Edouard Lucas himself provided a theorem using the Pell Sequence that is very close to the one I talk about.
But, all of that seems to complex for me.

If someone could make a study of the period of Pell numbers modulo Fermat numbers of primes, that would help.

Regards,
Tony

Well, note that:

[tex]
(1+x)^n = \sum_{i=0}^n {n \choose i} x^i
[/tex]
[tex]
(1-x)^n = \sum_{i=0}^n {n \choose i} (-x)^i
[/tex]
[tex]
(1+x)^n + (1-x)^n = \sum_{i=0}^n {n \choose i} (x^i + (-x)^i)
[/tex]
[tex]
(1+x)^n + (1-x)^n = 2 \sum_{i=0}^{n/2} {n \choose 2i} x^{2i}
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{1}{2} (1+\sqrt{2})^{k_n} + (1-\sqrt{2})^{k_n}
= \sum_{i=0}^{k_n/2} {k_n \choose 2i} 2^i
[/tex]

Ick, so it involves square roots. :tongue: Maybe you can do the problem in a number field? I.E. use [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{2}][/itex] instead of [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. (Or are you supposed to use [itex]\mathbb{Z}[(1 + \sqrt{2})/2][/itex]? I can't remember)

Does 2 have any square roots in Z mod F_n?

Last edited:

1. What is the binomial property?

The binomial property is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between binomial coefficients and powers in a binomial expansion.

2. How is the binomial property used?

The binomial property is used to simplify and expand binomial expressions, making it easier to solve equations and understand patterns in mathematics.

3. Can you give an example of the binomial property in action?

One example of the binomial property is the expansion of (x + y)^3, which can be simplified to x^3 + 3x^2y + 3xy^2 + y^3 using the binomial coefficients 1, 3, 3, and 1.

4. Is the binomial property always true?

Yes, the binomial property is a fundamental property of mathematics and is always true for any binomial expression.

5. How is the binomial property related to Pascal's triangle?

Pascal's triangle is a visual representation of the binomial coefficients used in the binomial property. The rows of the triangle correspond to the powers in a binomial expansion, and the numbers in each row represent the coefficients in that expansion.