Craft Beers, Microbreweries and Homebrewing

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, Bell's Brewery is a good brewery. Some American beers are brewed with top or bottom yeasts, but ultimately it depends on the style.

turbo-1 said:
Gritty has a good mix of offerings. I like 21 IPA and Black Fly, but it's hard to find something from them that I don't like. One thing that draws me to Oak Pond is that I have been here since they started up, and I remember the evolution of their classics, like Nut Brown Ale, and the genesis of my favorite White Fox Ale. Breweries are living things, like their brews, and the people that make them. It's so nice to visit the brewery to pick up a couple of growlers - the owner/brewmaster is a very friendly guy and when he has kegged up a particularly good batch of some variant, you WILL have samples of it! It's not pride (though he has every right) but a love of good beer and the recognition that his loyal customers actually appreciate his efforts.

Now that's how you run a business. I'm sorry that we as a nation had to go through a period where we neglected our craftsmen and women, but it's getting back. Sounds like there's no loser in that group of brews... oh man, I've got so many to try now from this thread, but must titrate slooooooowwwlllly. :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org

I saw this on the news this morning.

As loyalty to Budweiser in St. Louis slips after the takeover of Anheuser-Busch, upstart brewer Schlafly has seen its sales jump.

http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/jan2011/sb20110112_443459.htm"

[PLAIN]http://images.businessweek.com/story/11/190/0113_mz_47entbeer.jpg

I'm biting the bullet on cost. More good beer for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

I saw that unmentionable (that which shall not be named) discount beer at the local Walgreens. :yuck:

I refuse to buy that stuff.

By the way, Guinness draft from the tap goes well with pecan pie. I was first introduced to that combination by some Brits, with whom I was dining at Goatfeathers in Columbia, SC. They don't have a website, but rather us FB and MySpace. :uhh:

I saw that unmentionable (that which shall not be named) discount beer at the local Walgreens.

I refuse to buy that stuff.

I've decided that would be best also.

dlgoff said:
I've decided that would be best also.
Save your pennies and come to Maine. After trying some of the Oak Pond ales, you'll be looking for real-estate up here. If I can persuade Astro to emigrate, we can all farm cooperatively, grow hops, make beer and ale... OK, maybe getting out of some peoples' comfort-zone, but it's the stuff that I love to do. I can't manage crowds, but surely we could find someone to man a table at the farmers' market. My wife sold a couple of bags of garlic-bulbs to the local artisan butcher-shop/deli and people are coming back and paying $1/bulb for locally-grown hard-neck garlic. I could put at least 1/2 acre into that crop alone (both Russian and German varieties) and have it all sold before the next season.

Schlafly Beer! The only beer with Phyllis Schlafly's SEAL of approval!

[PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/Phyllis_Schlafly_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg/220px-Phyllis_Schlafly_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg[/quote]*Phillis* "I slam for, maybe five of those ******* in a sitting. *BRAAAP* Buy my beer you pinkos!"

Mmmmm, goes down smooth, just like a conservative agenda.

Astronuc: Really!? I can imagine that it might, but what's the flavor profile? The only thing my pals ever taught me to do with Guinness was the (named in poor taste) "Irish Car Bomb".

Guinness... in glass. Shot-glass, 2 Whiskey to 1 Bailey's Irish Cream. Dump the shot into the glass and chug. Interestingly it tastes disturbingly like a milkshake! Oh, the hangover you get afterword is apparently pretty brutal... I had one and decided I'd stick to gin... my friends went on. Heh... poor guys. Gooood memories. :biggrin:

Turbo: Mmmm... I'm still looking through the listing from that local brewery of yours. Ahhh... nut brown ale. :smile: I think that would go well with some Kabanosy and a light mustard.

Last edited by a moderator:

I prefer to keep my beer and whisky separate, and drink whisky straight and unadulterated. The closest I'd come to mixing drinks is a beer with a whisky chaser. Usually it's one or the other though, and beer more often than whisky.

Glenmorangie is my favorite, but I like many single malts and some blends.

Astronuc said:
I prefer to keep my beer and whisky separate, and drink whisky straight and unadulterated. The closest I'd come to mixing drinks is a beer with a whisky chaser. Usually it's one or the other though, and beer more often than whisky.

Glenmorangie is my favorite, but I like many single malts and some blends.

You're a connoisseur to my heathen. :tongue:

I admit, I've never mixed again, but I cannot abide Scotch. Nothing against Scotch either, it's just that my first drinking experience (I was 18 amazingly enough) beyond a sip of wine or beer was Scotch.

Well, not just Scotch:
Scotch from a PLASTIC bottle.
Gin my friend had mixed with ice-tea mix
Manischewitz (GAH!)
the dregs of an ANCIENT bottle of Brandy.

The result was extremely predictable, and now the smell of Scotch STILL gives me chills.

NOW... Bourbon... there's a whiskey. Pappy's, and Woodford Reserve are my absolute favorites, but not a common thing. Ahhhh the price of good booze.

Scotch is in my genes apparently. I don't like Bourbon.

My first drinking experience was a conconction of various liquors and Everclear. I was 13 or 14 at the time. Later I had some Scotch straight which I enjoyed.

I had an occasional beer in my early teens.

During the summer between 11th and 12th grade, I attended a summer program at a university. There was a rush party on campus, so my friends and I went. We overdid on the beer. I lost count around 16. We got snockered. I don't remember getting sick, but one of my friends ended up on the floor. We more or less had to carry him back to our dorm, and returned to the party. About 15 minutes later, we turned around and he was standing there without his glasses. We asked how he managed to find his way back. Well he told a pretty funny (at the time) story of following the sidewalk from the dorm to a row of rocks. He crawled over the rocks rather than walks around. He then found a fence and used the fence to hold himself up. He then crawled and found the party.

We took him back to the dorm and called it a night.

Later that summer - I overdid it on vodka. Vodka does not go well with Tang or Fanta Root Beer. :yuck: The cheap cigar was a bad idea. The night deteriorated rapidly after that.

I want to hear more :biggrin:!

Astronuc said:
Scotch is in my genes apparently. I don't like Bourbon.

My first drinking experience was a conconction of various liquors and Everclear. I was 13 or 14 at the time. Later I had some Scotch straight which I enjoyed.

I had an occasional beer in my early teens.

During the summer between 11th and 12th grade, I attended a summer program at a university. There was a rush party on campus, so my friends and I went. We overdid on the beer. I lost count around 16. We got snockered. I don't remember getting sick, but one of my friends ended up on the floor. We more or less had to carry him back to our dorm, and returned to the party. About 15 minutes later, we turned around and he was standing there without his glasses. We asked how he managed to find his way back. Well he told a pretty funny (at the time) story of following the sidewalk from the dorm to a row of rocks. He crawled over the rocks rather than walks around. He then found a fence and used the fence to hold himself up. He then crawled and found the party.

We took him back to the dorm and called it a night.

Later that summer - I overdid it on vodka. Vodka does not go well with Tang or Fanta Root Beer. :yuck: The cheap cigar was a bad idea. The night deteriorated rapidly after that.

Ooooh... I think I'd rather take a real screwdriver and hit myself with it! Let's be honest... what DOES go well with tang, other than LEO? :rofl:

I love the crawling those... I wish I'd seen that. The most I've seen is my friend get a distant look and just topple forward. It was interesting at the time, but... meh.

Kevin_Axion: A friend of mine with the same first name as you ate some... uh... let's call them, "bad mushrooms". He lived a few miles away at the time, but I heard ah knocking' on my front door (no bust of Pallas). This is a direct quote:

Me: "Kevin? Hey man, what's up?"
Kevin: *Stare* *Smile*
Me: "Kev? Wait, did you walk here? Is everything OK?!"
Kevin: "I'm... on a journey."
Me: "Uh huh... why don't you come inside for a bit?"

I know he walked there, and he does too, but to this day he can't remember WHY, or what he meant by being on "a journey". I thought of this because of Astronuc's mention of Everclear (or "death juice")... this is the same friend of mine who spiked 'the punch' with Everclear.

Not creative, I know, but what WAS creative is that he put only 3 shots into a BIG big of Sangria. So... why the big deal? It turns out he'd used that Everclear to make an extract of cannabis. That... was a very interesting night, and keep in mind that I've never taken anything except alcohol (generally in extreme moderation) and as a young man, um... Oregano. I was NOT prepared for what turned out to be a MASSIVELY concentrated dose of the stuff, and I'd never "eaten" it before.

VERY interesting night.

Kevin_Axion said:
NO! :bugeye:

This is a Beer Connoisseur thread. I have enough vises already.:redface:

Kevin_Axion said:
Learn from my mistakes and stupidity - and don't repeat.

The vodka ordeal was pretty bad. I had to walk down a flight of stairs to my floor. My head was spinning. I turned off the lights in the stairwell because my eyes couldn't take bright lights. Going down those stairs step by step with my head spinning was very unpleasant. I got to the stairwell door and noticed the hallway lights on. I opened the door enough to put my arm through and around the wall fishing to find the lightswitch. I turned off the lights and entered the hallway - hoping to make it to my room. I think the hall supervisor noticed me, but didn't say anything.

I made it halfway down the hallway and starting feeling ill. Fortunately the bathroom was right there. So I dash in and made it just in time. After my stomach calmed down, I stripped and got into the shower (it was a communal shower). I just sat there on the floor with the water running over me.

Probably after half an hour or so. I got up, grabbed my clothes, not bothering to get dressed, walked to my dorm room and crashed on to my bed. The room was spinning and I fell asleep.

Astronuc said:
Learn from my mistakes and stupidity - and don't repeat.

The vodka ordeal was pretty bad. I had to walk down a flight of stairs to my floor. My head was spinning. I turned off the lights in the stairwell because my eyes couldn't take bright lights. Going down those stairs step by step with my head spinning was very unpleasant. I got to the stairwell door and noticed the hallway lights on. I opened the door enough to put my arm through and around the wall fishing to find the lightswitch. I turned off the lights and entered the hallway - hoping to make it to my room. I think the hall supervisor noticed me, but didn't say anything.

I made it halfway down the hallway and starting feeling ill. Fortunately the bathroom was right there. So I dash in and made it just in time. After my stomach calmed down, I stripped and got into the shower (it was a communal shower). I just sat there on the floor with the water running over me.

Probably after half an hour or so. I got up, grabbed my clothes, not bothering to get dressed, walked to my dorm room and crashed on to my bed. The room was spinning and I fell asleep.

Wow, that sounds just... painful. :(
Definitely a good object lesson...

Well, the first time I drank I was 15 and it was pretty awesome. Firstly I was on vacation in Aruba, a Dutch island off of the coast of Venezuela and the weather was absolutely beautiful. My brothers and parents one night decided to take me to a private party on the North End of the island inside of a residential area (Tierra Del Sol), the complex where my home is (It's surprisingly cheap, well cheaper then cottages). We went rather early, and we entered without hassle (although I was under aged) despite the dozens of all black-clothed security guards patrolling the area. The party hadn't begun at this time and we were essentially the only people there so we decided to look around, the place was amazing. There was a DJ over the pool which was lit up in various colours. There was also tall palm trees, spectacular clay roof buildings, and a view that stretched over the land and ocean, a pretty awesome first party (Pictures of area at the bottom, not of party). After looking around my brothers and I decided to walk back home and return when more people came. This is where the drinking began, My brothers gave me two beers which I enjoyed (Corona's I believe) and we talked about things as I sat there with more confidence then ever. At this point after I polished off my second beer I was feeling pretty good and we decided to walk back, this was in an hour span. After getting past security, the party was pretty up-beat, music was pounding through the open warm air and a world was revealed to me that only existed in my hollywoodesque ideas. After walking around I ended up getting a rum and coke, with A LOT of rum. No one was my age so it was pretty difficult to talk to people or dance. After finishing that my brothers got me another beer if I remember correctly and at this point I was a little tipsy. As liquid courage subsides inside of my body my brothers introduce me to a stunning Dutch girl who was probably 10 years older then me, I mean she was absolutely beautiful. With her boyfriend near, my brothers insisted that I walk up to her and blatantly say "You are so beautiful!" As it goes, my immature self (I regret it) couldn't will the words to her, but for some odd reason I turned to a 40 year old women near by and without hesitation I (dizzy at this time) utter "YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!" (I regret this). I probably said this a few times without a stutter and I don't really remember her reaction except maybe a nonchalant "Thank you!", followed by an awkward stare as she saw who I was and probably her walking away with confusion and a thought, "Why in the world is 15 year old hitting on me?"

That was pretty much the end of my night (about 2:00 a.m at this time), my brothers returned at about 3:00 a.m and I was rather confused because my brothers face was sliced and bleeding. I couldn't resist asking what happened, apparently, as they were walking back they decided to cross through the construction area of a new development. Now apparently my brother stood over the 5 foot drop for 10 minutes instead of walking around it and with the encouragement of my brother he fell face first into dirt and rubble. That was probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard him do apart from him throwing plates at fire trucks and throwing eggs into people's cars (something that isn't expected by a person who gets 90s and high 80s in university, both of my brothers are very intelligent although this may portray them as stupid).

All in all, I haven't drank since and the night was a lot of fun.

I'm done, no more party stories.

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:

Kevin_Axion said:
Well, the first time I drank I was 15 and it was pretty awesome. Firstly I was on vacation in Aruba, a Dutch island off of the coast of Venezuela and the weather was absolutely beautiful. My brothers and parents one night decided to take me to a private party on the North End of the island inside of a residential area (Tierra Del Sol), the complex where my home is (It's surprisingly cheap, well cheaper then cottages). We went rather early, and we entered without hassle (although I was under aged) despite the dozens of all black-clothed security guards patrolling the area. The party hadn't begun at this time and we were essentially the only people there so we decided to look around, the place was amazing. There was a DJ over the pool which was lit up in various colours. There was also tall palm trees, spectacular clay roof buildings, and a view that stretched over the land and ocean, a pretty awesome first party (Pictures of area at the bottom, not of party). After looking around my brothers and I decided to walk back home and return when more people came. This is where the drinking began, My brothers gave me two beers which I enjoyed (Corona's I believe) and we talked about things as I sat there with more confidence then ever. At this point after I polished off my second beer I was feeling pretty good and we decided to walk back, this was in an hour span. After getting past security, the party was pretty up-beat, music was pounding through the open warm air and a world was revealed to me that only existed in my hollywoodesque ideas. After walking around I ended up getting a rum and coke, with A LOT of rum. No one was my age so it was pretty difficult to talk to people or dance. After finishing that my brothers got me another beer if I remember correctly and at this point I was a little tipsy. As liquid courage subsides inside of my body my brothers introduce me to a stunning Dutch girl who was probably 10 years older then me, I mean she was absolutely beautiful. With her boyfriend near, my brothers insisted that I walk up to her and blatantly say "You are so beautiful!" As it goes, my immature self (I regret it) couldn't will the words to her, but for some odd reason I turned to a 40 year old women near by and without hesitation I turned to her (dizzy at this time) and utter "YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!" (I regret this). I probably said this a few times without a stutter and I don't really remember her reaction except maybe a nonchalant "Thank you!", followed by an awkward stare as she saw who I was and probably her walking away with confusion and a thought, "Why in the world is 15 year old hitting on me?"

That was pretty much the end of my night (about 2:00 at this time), my brothers returned at about 3:00 and I was rather confused because my brothers face was sliced a bleeding. I couldn't resist asking what happened, apparently, as they were walking back they decided to cross through the construction area of a new development. Now apparently my brother stood over the 5 foot drop for 10 minutes instead of walking around it and with the encouragement of my brother he fell face first into dirt and rubble. That was probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard him do apart from him throwing plates at fire trucks and throwing eggs into people's cars (something that isn't expected by a person who gets 90s and high 80s in university, both of my brothers are very intelligent although this may portray them as stupid).

All in all, I haven't drank since and the night was a lot of fun.

Oh I see... get the big thickos to tell you their dirt and you come back with paradise! :rofl:

J/K, that sounds like a lot of fun, except for the near-death bits. Oh, and you're not the only guy who's made the "You're beautiful" mistake when drunk... we're basically evolved dogs. :wink: Alcohol is a very effective means of slowly draining the checks and balances we grow with, and leave us bare. Most guys don't turn into monsters... we turn into complete goobers. :biggrin:

Lol, I wasn't trying to condescend :biggrin:

Kevin_Axion said:
Lol, I wasn't trying to condescend :biggrin:

I know! I'm just playing around... you had no way of knowing that Atronuc was a degenerate! hehehehe...

*runs away*

edit: to be clear... degenerate = joke.

Lol, I knew you were kidding, I'm joking too, never mind, confusio infinitum.

Kevin_Axion said:
Lol, I knew you were kidding, I'm joking too, never mind, confusio infinitum.

"Confusion to our enemies." :wink:

I'm normally not a complainer, but when I got back home after filling my two growlers Sunday, one wasn't my favorite Golden Wheat.

So I went back yesterday to get that one refilled and mentioned that since they were very busy Sunday a simple mistake was made and I had no problem paying for another refill.

The bartender said "I'll take care of you" and sent me home with two full ones for free. Needless to say, $10 went into his tip jar.

dlgoff said:
I'm normally not a complainer, but when I got back home after filling my two growlers Sunday, one wasn't my favorite Golden Wheat.

So I went back yesterday to get that one refilled and mentioned that since they were very busy Sunday a simple mistake was made and I had no problem paying for another refill.

The bartender said "I'll take care of you" and sent me home with two full ones for free. Needless to say, $10 went into his tip jar.

Mmmm... smart bartender... smart customer.

Yum.

I want to start brewing beer, and I want to start off easy. So, I just want to buy a beer kit. The one I chose was Munton's American Light.:wink:

smoothie12 said:
I want to start brewing beer, and I want to start off easy. So, I just want to buy a beer kit. The one I chose was Munton's American Light.:wink:
If you want to brew beer, start haunting garage sales and estate sales. You need a 20 gallon crock. It can take a long time to brew a batch of beer depending on the method, so you'll want to have enough capacity to get ahead of the game.

Cold weather and bottom-fermentation can slow down your process. In the winter, I'd start another batch of brew as soon as the last one was bottled.

turbo-1 said:
If you want to brew beer, start haunting garage sales and estate sales. You need a 20 gallon crock. It can take a long time to brew a batch of beer depending on the method, so you'll want to have enough capacity to get ahead of the game.

Cold weather and bottom-fermentation can slow down your process. In the winter, I'd start another batch of brew as soon as the last one was bottled.
I would try it if I thought I could keep production up with consumption. And consumption would probably increase as a result.

BTW I found one liquor store in Lawrence that sells my favorite microbrewery Golden Wheat in six packs. I'm going there today.

turbo-1 said:

I second that motion. I lucked into a garage sale a few years ago, the old gent who lived there used to brew beer/wine, I was able to purchase everything for $25 USD. Included copper immersion chiller, 2 5-gal glass carboys, plenty of other small equipment, more then enough caps for years plus more. The chiller alone is probably $70. I sat down and figured it out once, figured I got $200 worth.

I've been able to get some carboys free too, just got to look around.

dlgoff said:
I would try it if I thought I could keep production up with consumption. And consumption would probably increase as a result.

BTW I found one liquor store in Lawrence that sells my favorite microbrewery Golden Wheat in six packs. I'm going there today.

I just brew at lot at once and often. I brewed 50 gallons before winter. Your limit in production is the number of fermenters you have, and the size of your boil kettle. Brewing a 15gal batch is not much harder then a 5gal. Plus if you brew it, you control the ABV, a if you get it high, a little goes a long way.

dlgoff said:

Insanity said:
I just brew at lot at once and often. I brewed 50 gallons before winter. Your limit in production is the number of fermenters you have, and the size of your boil kettle. Brewing a 15gal batch is not much harder then a 5gal. Plus if you brew it, you control the ABV, a if you get it high, a little goes a long way.

Don't get me started. As easy as it sounds, I'd probably be drunk all the time. :biggrin:

Nah, found that when my brews are rarely below 8%, anything lower is water. Can't get drunk off water can you?

dlgoff said:
I found one liquor store in Lawrence that sells my favorite microbrewery Golden Wheat in six packs. I'm going there today.

I just got back with a couple of six packs and will give it a try as soon as I finish my last growler.

Insanity said:
Nah, found that when my brews are rarely below 8%, anything lower is water. Can't get drunk off water can you?

8% or greater? Are you close to Kansas? If so, I'll be right over. :!)

dlgoff said:
I just got back with a couple of six packs and will give it a try as soon as I finish my last growler.

Dogfish Head (Boston) tends to run on the high proof end; they make a raisin porter that's about 8.5%, and it's DELICIOUS.

I think they also make a 35% brew... yeesh. I'll drink vodka or "The Blue *****" when I want to get THAT drunk. :tongue:

I changed the title, which is now more on-topic.

I'm going to join a friend making some homebrew this weekend - probably a Porter.

Astronuc said:

I'm going to join a friend making some homebrew this weekend - probably a Porter.

A porter! Ooooohh... what kind of profile are you looking for? Agressive hopping, or more malt and nut/coffee flavor? Porter is SOOOOO good (Otter Creek StovePipe Porter being an example)

Astronuc said:

Have one for me Astronuc. Good idea on the title.

dlgoff said:

Relatively close I suppose yes, if Michigan is close. Waiting to thaw out to brew again.
my barley wine is 11.5% I've made mead at 12.5%
want to attempt an all-grain to get over 20%.

Insanity said:
Relatively close I suppose yes, if Michigan is close. Waiting to thaw out to brew again.
my barley wine is 11.5% I've made mead at 12.5%
want to attempt an all-grain to get over 20%.
This is outstanding info. You might have actually convinced me to look into this. Heck, I live near two grain elevators where you can get almost every kind of grain you want (Kansas grown). Since I like the Golden Wheat State microbrewery stuff, I wouldn't need barley. Or would I? Seems like I remember hearing you need both (wheat and barley)?

I'll do a little internet research in the meantime. I do have some pumps, solenoid valves, etc that might come in handy. My problem will be the space to do the process.

Back