Where Can I Find Information on Drag Coefficients for Slow Speed Mixers?

In summary: Otherwise, I may as well be using a stick to stir.In summary, the conversation discusses a search for information on designing a slow speed mixer, specifically in regards to the drag coefficient and drag force on the rotating blade. The fluid being mixed is an incompressible fluid with a density of 1.3 g/cm3 and a viscosity of 100000 poise. The mixer manufacturer is expected to provide this information, otherwise it is like using a stick to stir.
B12se-R
I'm kind of stuck in my search, hoped to be able to find some answers on this board.

Anyways, I've been taksed to design a slow speed mixer and I'm trying to look up information beyond Stokes Law of FD = 6 pi r V u

The fluid to be mixed is approx. 100000 poise, incompressible fluid. I'm trying to find how to approximate a proper drag coefficient and calculate a drag force on a rotating mixer blade. Cross sectional footprint of one tine passing through the fluid is approx. 3" x 1/3". Low speed, so Re << 1. density is 1.3 g/cm3

Can someone throw me a bone please?

Engineering news on Phys.org
B12se-R said:
I'm kind of stuck in my search, hoped to be able to find some answers on this board.

Anyways, I've been taksed to design a slow speed mixer and I'm trying to look up information beyond Stokes Law of FD = 6 pi r V u

The fluid to be mixed is approx. 100000 poise, incompressible fluid. I'm trying to find how to approximate a proper drag coefficient and calculate a drag force on a rotating mixer blade. Cross sectional footprint of one tine passing through the fluid is approx. 3" x 1/3". Low speed, so Re << 1. density is 1.3 g/cm3

Can someone throw me a bone please?
The mixer manufacturer should supply such fundamental design information on how to use their product.

What is a drag coefficient?

A drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of resistance an object experiences as it moves through a fluid, such as air or water. It is used to calculate the drag force on an object, which is the force that opposes the motion of the object.

How is drag coefficient calculated?

Drag coefficient is calculated by dividing the drag force by the dynamic pressure of the fluid and the reference area of the object. The reference area is typically the frontal area of the object facing the flow of the fluid.

What factors affect drag coefficient?

The shape and size of the object, the properties of the fluid, and the speed and direction of the object's motion can all affect the drag coefficient. Roughness of the surface and the presence of other objects in the fluid can also impact the drag coefficient.

How does drag coefficient impact an object's movement?

The higher the drag coefficient, the more resistance an object will experience as it moves through a fluid. This can slow down the object's movement and require more energy to maintain its speed. Objects with lower drag coefficients are more streamlined and experience less resistance.

What is the significance of drag coefficient in engineering and design?

Understanding the drag coefficient is important in engineering and design, particularly in fields such as aerodynamics and fluid dynamics. It helps engineers and designers optimize the shape and size of objects to reduce drag and improve efficiency and performance.