I need serious help with Word Problems in Math 11 Level.

• Thread starter Gamecubesupreme
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about learning interest rates and word problems. The question given is to calculate the balance on June 19 given a starting balance on March 14, with no deposits or withdrawals and an annual interest rate of 3 3/4%. The general rules for solving interest problems are provided. The solution involves using the principal amount of $870, the interest rate of 3.75%, and the time period of 97 days to calculate the interest of $8.67. The final balance on June 19 is $878.67. Both parties in the conversation used similar methods to arrive at the answer.
Gamecubesupreme
Alright, I am learning about interest rate and stuff like that and I get it, but I seriously SUCK at word problems.

For example, here is the question:

1) On March 14, the balance in a daily interest account was $870. No deposits or withdrawals were made. The annual interest rate was 3 3/4%. Calculate the balance on June 19.

I know the general rules are:

1) Accumulated amount = Principle + I

2) A = P(1+i)

3) A = P ( 1 + t/m) ^ n*m

I don't even know how to tackle the question.

PLEASE HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
Please help >_<

Here is what I've got:

P is the principal amount, $870.00.

r is the interest rate, 3.75% per year, or in decimal form, 3.75/100=0.0375.

The best I could do for time is 97 days, or 97/365 = .2658

t is the time involved, 0.2658...year(s) time periods.

So, t is 0.2658...year time periods.

I multiply 870 × 0.0375 × 0.2658

The interest is: $8.67

870.00 + 8.67 = $878.67 on June 19.

Am I right?

I am not sure from just the way you described it but I did a similar thing method... and found the same answer

[tex] \frac{870*.0375}{365}*97+870=878.67 [/tex]

1. What are some strategies for solving word problems in Math 11 Level?

Some strategies for solving word problems in Math 11 Level include: carefully reading the problem, identifying the known and unknown values, creating a diagram or table to visualize the problem, and using algebraic equations to represent the information given in the problem.

2. How do I know which operation to use when solving a word problem?

The operation used in a word problem depends on the relationship between the given values and the unknown value. For example, if the problem involves finding the total of two or more quantities, addition would be used. If the problem involves finding the difference between two quantities, subtraction would be used. It is important to understand the meaning of each operation in order to choose the correct one.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a word problem?

If you get stuck on a word problem, try re-reading the problem and identifying the known and unknown values again. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or looking for patterns in the information given. If you are still having trouble, ask your teacher or a classmate for help.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve word problems in Math 11 Level?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve word problems in Math 11 Level. However, it is important to first understand the concept and steps involved in solving the problem without a calculator. Calculators should be used as a tool to check your work or to save time, not as a replacement for understanding the material.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving word problems in Math 11 Level?

Practice is the key to improving your skills in solving word problems in Math 11 Level. Make sure to review and understand the concepts and strategies for solving word problems, and then practice with a variety of problems. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling with a particular concept.