Determining if the functions {cosx , e^-x , x} are linearly independent

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Wronskian to determine if a set of functions are linearly independent on the interval (-infinity, infinity). The Wronskian is the determinant of a matrix composed of the functions, their first derivatives, and second derivatives. After calculating the Wronskian, the speaker cannot seem to simplify it and asks for help. They are then given a suggestion to substitute a specific value for x and conclude that the Wronskian will never be equal to zero due to the function of e.
chris_0101

Homework Statement

Basically, the title says it all, I need to figure out whether these functions are linearly independtend on (-infinity, infinity)

Homework Equations

Wronskian (the determinant of the matrix composed of the functions in the first row, first derivative in the second row and second derivatives in the third row)

The Attempt at a Solution

After computing the Wronskian this is what I got:
[(-e^-x)(-cosx)] + [(xe^-x)(-sinx)] - [(x)(-e^-x)(cosx)] - [(e^-x)(cosx)]

however, I cannot seem to simply this. If anyone can help me simplify this further that would be great. Also if you help me determine if whether they are linearly independent.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, you have calculated the Wronskian. Why? What does the Wronskian tell you? Would it help you to observe that, if [itex]x= \pi/2[/itex], that reduces to [itex]-(\pi/2)e^{-\pi/2}[/itex]?

basically the wronskian tells us that if it is not equal to zero the specified functions are linearly independent.

After evaluating what you told me to substitute in, I get

(-1/2)(e^(-pi/2))(pi)

With this, the wronskian can never equal to zero due to the function of e.

Is this correct?

1. What does it mean for a set of functions to be linearly independent?

Linear independence refers to the property of a set of functions where no function in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other functions. In other words, none of the functions in the set can be written as a scalar multiple of another function in the set.

2. How do you determine if a set of functions is linearly independent?

To determine if a set of functions is linearly independent, you can use the Wronskian test. If the determinant of the Wronskian matrix is nonzero for all values of x, then the functions are linearly independent. Alternatively, you can also check if the functions satisfy the definition of linear independence by attempting to write one function as a linear combination of the others.

3. What is the Wronskian matrix and how is it used to test for linear independence?

The Wronskian matrix is a square matrix formed by taking the first derivative of each function in the set and arranging them in rows or columns. To test for linear independence, the determinant of this matrix is calculated and if it is nonzero for all values of x, then the functions are linearly independent.

4. Are cosx, e^-x, and x linearly independent?

Yes, cosx, e^-x, and x are linearly independent. This can be confirmed by either using the Wronskian test or by attempting to write one function as a linear combination of the others. Since none of the functions can be expressed as a scalar multiple of another, they are linearly independent.

5. Why is it important to determine if a set of functions is linearly independent?

Determining if a set of functions is linearly independent is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between these functions and how they can be used in mathematical equations. It also helps in solving differential equations, as linearly dependent functions can lead to errors in the solution. Additionally, linearly independent functions are often used as a basis for constructing more complex functions.