How Do You Apply Superposition in Circuit Analysis?

In summary: As you would during any circuit analysis (if you have solved problems with them in there before.) You can go any route you want with mesh or nodal analysis. One problem, though, is that it says "I" but I don't know which current the source is dependent on.
Quincy

Homework Statement

1) Given the following circuit:

http://img841.imageshack.us/i/electriccircuit1.jpg/

Using the concept of superposition, calculate the partial contribution from each source.2) Given the following circuit:

http://img713.imageshack.us/i/electriccircuit2.jpg/

Using the concept of superposition, calculate the partial contribution from each source.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to start; I read about superposition in the book, but I'm not really getting it, please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the partial contributions in terms of what? Voltage? Current? Both? Note, power analysis cannot work using superposition of power delivered since P is nonlinear.

To apply superposition to the first circuit, redraw the circuit with the first voltage source shorted out and find whatever values you aim to find. This will be the partial contribution of the unshorted voltage source. Then, redraw the circuit with the other voltage source shorted (and the first one present this time), and find whatever values you aim to find. Again, these are the values labeled as a 'partial contribution.'

For the second circuit, you do the same except dependent sources remain, i.e. short the first 12V, analyze the circuit, short the second 12V (with the first one not shorted anymore), analyze the circuit, and you're done.

tedbradly said:
For the second circuit, you do the same except dependent sources remain, i.e. short the first 12V, analyze the circuit, short the second 12V (with the first one not shorted anymore), analyze the circuit, and you're done.

How do you account for the dependent sources?

Quincy said:
How do you account for the dependent sources?

As you would during any circuit analysis (if you have solved problems with them in there before.) You can go any route you want with mesh or nodal analysis. One problem, though, is that it says "I" but I don't know which current the source is dependent on.

Or are you asking how do you account for it during the superposition? You just leave it in there after shorting out one of the voltage sources, and solve the circuit. Then you short out the other (unshorting the previous one) and leave it in there again.

Superposition is a concept in circuit analysis that allows us to break down a complex circuit into simpler parts and analyze them separately. In this case, we are given two circuits and we need to calculate the partial contributions from each source using superposition.

To do this, we first need to understand the concept of superposition. Superposition states that the total response of a linear circuit is equal to the sum of the responses of each individual source acting alone. In other words, we can consider each source separately and calculate its contribution to the overall response of the circuit.

For the first circuit, we can consider each source separately and calculate the partial contribution from each one. We can start by considering the voltage source alone and calculating the current through the resistors. Then, we can turn off the voltage source and consider the current source alone and calculate the voltage across the resistors. Finally, we can add these two responses to get the total response of the circuit.

Similarly, for the second circuit, we can consider the voltage source and calculate the current through the resistors, and then consider the current source and calculate the voltage across the resistors. Again, we can add these two responses to get the total response of the circuit.

In both cases, we can use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to calculate the individual responses and then add them together to get the total response of the circuit. This approach allows us to simplify the analysis of complex circuits and make it easier to understand and solve.

1. What is superposition of circuits?

Superposition of circuits is a principle in circuit analysis that states that the voltage and current in a circuit can be calculated by considering each source individually while treating all other sources as if they are turned off. This allows for simpler analysis and calculations of complex circuits.

2. How is superposition applied in circuit analysis?

In circuit analysis, superposition is applied by first considering one source at a time and calculating the resulting voltage and current in the circuit. Then, the results from each source are added together to obtain the overall voltage and current in the circuit. This can be repeated for each source, allowing for a more efficient analysis.

3. What are the limitations of superposition in circuit analysis?

Superposition can only be applied to linear circuits, meaning that the relationship between voltage and current is linear. It also assumes that all circuit elements are passive, meaning they do not generate energy. Additionally, superposition does not take into account any nonlinear effects in the circuit.

4. What are the benefits of using superposition in circuit analysis?

The main benefit of using superposition in circuit analysis is that it simplifies the calculations and analysis of complex circuits. By breaking down the circuit into individual sources, the calculations become more manageable and can be easily verified. This allows for a more efficient and accurate analysis of circuits.

5. Can superposition be applied to AC circuits?

Yes, superposition can be applied to AC circuits as long as the circuit is linear and all sources are purely sinusoidal. In this case, each source can be treated separately and the resulting voltage and current can be added together to obtain the overall response of the circuit.