Can Plasticine Be Used as an Aerofoil?

• Thread starter jiggy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about using plasticine as an aerofoil in a project for IB coursework. The person is unsure if plasticine is a suitable material to use and is seeking an urgent answer. They clarify that they are using plasticine to model aerofoils of different shapes and have already conducted experiments with it. They mention using a basic wind tunnel and suggest asking for help on an aerospace engineering forum.
jiggy
I am doing a project for my IB coursework investigating lift on aerofoils with different shapes. I was wondering if plasticine can be used as an aerofoil. Answer urgently needed!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little confused as to what you mean as using plasticine for an airfoil, but the first thing that comes to mind is that it's much too heavy.. but that seems a bit obvious maybe be a bit clearer.

or perhaps you mean using plasticine just to represent the airfoil shape, in which case again seems obvious and would be fine..

I am designing aerofoils of different shapes such as camber , cuboid , sphere , etc. For modelling them , I have used plasticine instead of polystyrene I have done experiments using plasticine and have gotten results. but I am not too sure if plasticine is an accepted aerofoil to do the experiment with. my experiment is pretty low-tech using a very basic wind tunnel

Oh I see! well although I can't answer for sure, if you didn't know there's an aerospace engineering thread on this site and if you posted your question there I'm sure someone would have an answer for you. Good luck your project sounds very interesting!

I would like to advise that plasticine may not be the most suitable material for investigating lift on aerofoils. While it is a malleable and easy-to-use material, it may not accurately represent the properties and behavior of real aerofoils.

Aerofoils are designed to have specific shapes and characteristics in order to generate lift and reduce drag. Plasticine may not have the same structural integrity and surface smoothness as materials commonly used for aerofoils, such as aluminum or carbon fiber. This could affect the accuracy and reliability of your results.

Additionally, plasticine may not be able to withstand the forces and pressures experienced by aerofoils in real-life conditions, such as during flight. This could lead to distortions or deformations in the plasticine, again affecting the accuracy of your results.

I would recommend using materials that are specifically designed for aerofoil testing, such as wind tunnel models or computer simulations. These methods will provide more accurate and reliable results for your IB coursework. However, if plasticine is the only material available, I suggest conducting thorough research and testing to understand its limitations and how it may affect your results.

1. Can Plasticine be used as an aerofoil for aircraft?

No, Plasticine is not a suitable material for use as an aerofoil on an aircraft. It is too soft and malleable, and would not provide the necessary lift and stability that a proper aerofoil shape would.

2. Is Plasticine a good substitute for traditional aerofoil materials?

No, Plasticine is not a suitable substitute for materials such as aluminum or carbon fiber that are commonly used for aerofoils. These materials are much stronger and more durable, and can withstand the high speeds and forces of flight.

3. Can Plasticine be used as a temporary aerofoil during testing?

While Plasticine may be used as a temporary aerofoil during testing in a controlled environment, it is not a reliable or accurate material to use for testing the aerodynamics of an aircraft. It may provide some basic information, but results would not be accurate enough for real-world applications.

4. What makes Plasticine unsuitable for use as an aerofoil?

Plasticine is too soft and pliable to maintain its shape and provide the necessary lift and stability for an aerofoil. It is also not strong enough to withstand the high speeds and forces of flight, and would likely deform or break under these conditions.

5. Are there any potential uses for Plasticine in aeronautics?

While Plasticine may not be suitable for use as an aerofoil on an aircraft, it may have some applications in modeling and prototyping for visual representation and basic testing of aerodynamic concepts. However, for accurate and reliable results, other materials should be used.