Material Properties of Carbon Fibers

In summary, the speaker is working on a computer model to simulate material damage in fiber reinforced polymers in extreme temperatures. They have found Rock West Company to be the best place to buy the materials they need, specifically the quasi-isotropic lay (0,45,90,135) and the 34-600 fiber and NCT 301-1 resin. They have sent an email requesting material data but are unsure of how long it will take to receive a response. They are also looking for the material properties for the 34-600 fiber and NCT 301-1 resin and have found potential sources for the resin.
simonb530
I'm working on a computer model that simulates material damage in fiber reinforced polymers in extreme temperatures. I have looked around to find where I can buy some and get material properties. So far the best place I have found is Rock West Company with their quasi-isotropic lay (0,45,90,135). They also have listed their materials they use for this type: 34-600 fiber and NCT 301-1 resin. I have sent an email requesting material data, but I don't know how long that will. This bring me to my question. Does anyone know where I can find the material properties for the 34-600 Fiber and NCT 301-1 resin?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
This fiber? http://www.grafil.com/images/newpdf/grafil/34-600_03_2010.pdf

Quick search on the resin seems it's an epoxy resin. Can you generalize from average epoxy values? Is it Newport Adhesives resin? http://www.newportad.com/pdf/PL.NB-301.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are carbon fibers made of?

Carbon fibers are made of long, thin strands of carbon atoms that are tightly bonded together in a crystalline structure. They are typically derived from organic polymers, such as rayon, pitch, or polyacrylonitrile (PAN).

2. What makes carbon fibers strong?

Carbon fibers have a high strength-to-weight ratio, meaning they are incredibly strong for their relatively low weight. This is due to the strong covalent bonds between carbon atoms, as well as the alignment of these bonds along the length of the fiber.

3. What are the advantages of using carbon fibers?

Carbon fibers have several advantages, including high strength and stiffness, low weight, and resistance to corrosion and temperature. They are also highly versatile and can be used in a variety of applications, including aerospace, automotive, and sporting goods.

4. How are carbon fibers produced?

The production of carbon fibers typically involves several steps, including spinning, stabilization, carbonization, and surface treatment. The process can vary depending on the type of precursor material used, but generally involves heating the fibers in a controlled environment to convert them into pure carbon.

5. What are the limitations of carbon fibers?

While carbon fibers have many benefits, they also have some limitations. These include high production costs, low ductility, and susceptibility to damage from impact or abrasion. Additionally, the manufacturing process can be energy-intensive and may have a negative impact on the environment.