The Significance of a Non-Constant Scalar Field in 4-Dimensional Spacetimes

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the question from Deutsch's website is about the existence of a real, non-constant scalar field in certain classes of 4-dimensional spacetimes that obeys the wave equation and has a gradient that is always null. This question is related to his work and may be of significance, as seen in his paper, which can be found at the provided link."
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
this is from his website:
"In what class of 4-dimensional spacetimes does there exist a real, non-constant scalar field φ with the following properties:

It obeys the wave equation: ◻φ=0
Its gradient is everywhere null: ∇φ.∇φ=0"
somehow i think it is concerned with his work, but what is its siginificance?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe this is the link:http://xxx.lanl.gov/ftp/quant-ph/papers/0401/0401024.pdf

As to the significance :) I'll leave that for now, while Deustch is a remarkable thinker, I wonder if you could place a link with relevance to the context of your post, others may then want to comment on any significance?

i got the question from deustch's website, in the question section.

1. What is a scalar field?

A scalar field is a mathematical concept used to describe a physical quantity that has a single value at each point in space. Examples of scalar fields include temperature, pressure, and density.

2. How is a scalar field different from a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept used to describe a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction at each point in space. This means that a vector field has multiple values at each point, while a scalar field has only one value at each point.

3. What is the significance of a non-constant scalar field?

A non-constant scalar field means that the value of the field changes at different points in space. This can have significant implications for physical phenomena, such as the behavior of particles or the curvature of spacetime.

4. How does a non-constant scalar field affect 4-dimensional spacetimes?

A non-constant scalar field can affect 4-dimensional spacetimes by altering the curvature of space, which can in turn affect the motion of particles and the behavior of physical systems within that spacetime.

5. What are some real-life applications of studying non-constant scalar fields in 4-dimensional spacetimes?

Non-constant scalar fields and their effects on 4-dimensional spacetimes are important in various fields of physics, including general relativity, cosmology, and quantum field theory. They are also relevant in engineering and design, such as in the study of fluid dynamics and the behavior of materials under stress.