Rational Canonical Form

In summary, the problem asks to show that if two matrices A and B are similar over a subfield F of a field K, then they are also similar over F. The hint provided suggests looking at the rank of certain matrices involving the companion matrix of a monic polynomial. By considering the rank of these matrices and their relationship to the minimal polynomials of A and B, it can be shown that A and B must have the same rational canonical form over F, thus proving their similarity over F.
Maria00
Hi, I'm just new here, I don't know if I'm on the right thread.:D

Homework Statement

Let F be a subfield of K. A, B be elements of Mn(F). Show that if A and B are similar over K, then A,B are similar over F. (Hint: what can be said about the rank of f(C(f(x)^m))^n? about the rank of f(C(f(x)^n))^m? where m<n are nonnegative integers and C(f(x)) is the companion matrix of the monic poly. f element of F[X].))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here my attempt: Let A be an element of Mn(F) and mA(x) be the minimal poly. of A over F, Then it can be showed that mA(x) is also the minimal poly. of A over K. Since A & B are similar over K, then mA(x)=mB(x) where mB(X) is the min. poly of B over K. By similar argument, mB(x) is also the min. poly of B viewed as an element of Mn(F). Now, note that mA(x) is an element of F[x], then A is similar to it's rational canonical form (RCF). Also, B is similar to it's RCF. But mA(x)=mB(x)

=> RCF of A = RCF of B.

Hence, A & B are similar over F i.e, there exist a nonsingular Q element of Mn(F) s.t.
B=Q-1AQ.

My problem is, i didn't use the hint. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear new member,

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad to see that you are already working on a problem and seeking help from others. This is a great place to discuss and learn about different scientific topics.

Now, let's take a look at the problem you have posted. The hint provided is actually quite useful in solving the problem. It suggests looking at the rank of certain matrices involving the companion matrix of a monic polynomial. Remember that the rank of a matrix is the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in that matrix.

One key property of the companion matrix is that its rank is equal to the degree of the monic polynomial it represents. This means that if we have a monic polynomial f(x) of degree n, the rank of the companion matrix C(f(x)) is also n.

Now, let's consider the matrices f(C(f(x))^m and f(C(f(x))^n, where m<n. Think about what these matrices represent and how they are related to the minimal polynomials of A and B. Can you see how the hint can be used to show that the rank of these matrices must be equal? And what does this tell us about the similarity of A and B over F?

I hope this helps! Keep working on the problem and don't hesitate to ask for clarification or further assistance. Good luck!

What is rational canonical form?

Rational canonical form is a way of expressing a square matrix as a block diagonal matrix, where each block represents a companion matrix of a polynomial. In other words, it is a way of simplifying a matrix into a form that reveals its underlying structure.

Why is rational canonical form important?

Rational canonical form is important because it allows us to easily identify important properties of a matrix, such as its eigenvalues, minimal polynomial, and Jordan canonical form. This can be useful in various areas of mathematics and science, including linear algebra, differential equations, and control theory.

How is rational canonical form computed?

The process of finding the rational canonical form of a matrix involves finding its invariant factors and arranging them in a specific way. This can be done using algorithms such as the Smith normal form or the elementary divisors method.

What is the relationship between rational canonical form and Jordan canonical form?

Rational canonical form and Jordan canonical form are two different ways of expressing a matrix, but they are closely related. In fact, the Jordan canonical form can be obtained from the rational canonical form by making some modifications to the blocks. However, rational canonical form is more general and can be applied to any field, while Jordan canonical form is specific to matrices over a field of complex numbers.

What are the applications of rational canonical form?

Rational canonical form has various applications in mathematics and science, including the study of linear systems, control theory, differential equations, and coding theory. It is also used in the process of finding the minimal polynomial of a matrix, which has important implications in the theory of finite fields and algebraic number theory.