Concepts in calculating diffusion

In summary, experts in diffusion say that activity (or chemical potential) drives diffusion, and that diffusion data can be found online. They also say that diffusion can be shown by calculating the activation energy in the Arrhenius equation.
MightyQuinn
Hello experts in diffusion,

I am having some trouble understanding some concepts in calculating diffusion. First, I understand activity (or chemical potential) drives diffusion, but where does this come into play in the calculations? Is it in the activation energy (Q) in the Arrhenius equation (D=Doexp(-Q/RT))?
Next, where can I find data online for Do and Q for materials like 4340 steel etc? Or would I just use values for Carbon in FCC (Fe) if my temperature is austenitizing? I have found some values online which do not compare at all, so I assume they are wrong!

My reason is that I want to show in calculations that a steel say 4340 (with ~no Si content) will not carburize as much as a similar steel with ~3% Si or greater. How can I show this in calculations? Its obvious that it is because of the chemical potential gradient driving C away from the Si, but how can this be shown mathimatically. I have a good bit of literature and have done several searches and I cannot not find anything explaining this very important problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org

I am not a metallurgist, but I am certain that the effect of solutes such as Si on the carburization of steel have been well studied in the literature. Rather than re-invent the wheel, I would look into the work of others first: I believe Mats Hillert published quite a bit on the subject over the years, and would be a good place to start.

As for your question on diffusion: Fick's law is properly written utilizing the chemical potential gradient rather than concentration gradient. Uphill diffusion against a concentration gradient (spinodal decomposition, liquid-phase solute extraction, etc.) could never occur if it weren't for the chemical potential gradient. The concentration gradient in many cases is the dominant factor, and is often used in Fick's law with satisfactory results.

Sorry, I just now got your reply. Thanks for your responce. I found some interesting documentation on the subject. And I do agree with your responce and have found the solution. If anyone is interested in more, let me know.

1. What is diffusion and why is it important to understand?

Diffusion is the process by which molecules or particles spread out and move from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration. It is important to understand because it plays a crucial role in many biological, chemical, and physical processes, such as respiration, osmosis, and heat transfer.

2. What factors affect the rate of diffusion?

The rate of diffusion is affected by several factors, including temperature, size and shape of particles, concentration gradient, and the medium through which diffusion occurs.

3. How do you calculate the rate of diffusion?

The rate of diffusion can be calculated by using Fick's law, which states that the rate of diffusion is directly proportional to the surface area, concentration gradient, and diffusion coefficient of the particles, and inversely proportional to the distance they have to travel.

4. What is the difference between simple and facilitated diffusion?

Simple diffusion is the movement of particles through a semi-permeable membrane without the help of any proteins or energy, while facilitated diffusion involves the use of membrane proteins to transport specific particles across the membrane.

5. How does diffusion play a role in drug delivery?

Diffusion is an important process in drug delivery as it allows drugs to be transported from the site of administration to the target tissues or cells. The rate of diffusion can be manipulated by altering the properties of the drug, such as its size and solubility, to ensure effective delivery.