Creating emf with a wire coil and magnet

In summary, there are three ways to generate an emf using Faraday's law: changing the area of the loop, changing the angle between the normal vector of the loop and the direction of the magnetic field, and changing the strength of the magnetic field. The potential difference induced in the loop depends on various factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the area of the loop, and the angle between the normal vector of the loop and the direction of the magnetic field. The magnetic field produced by a permanent magnet is typically in the range of 0.2-2 Tesla.
baileya

Homework Statement

We have seen this week that there are 3 ways to generate an emf (voltage or a current) using Faraday's law. Suppose you have a permanent magnet (of your choice), and 5-cm radius coil of wire with 100 loops, and a sledge hammer. Describe the three different ways the loop of wire and the magnet can interact to produce an emf in the loop. Give specific details on what exactly you would do to produce the emf. Don't forget diagram(s)! For each way, estimate the potential difference you could create in the wire.

In the last part you will need to research reasonable numbers for the magnetic field produced by a permanent magnet. Don't forget to reference your sources.

Homework Equations

emf = -d"phi"/dt
phi = (magnetic field, B)(area, A)costheta

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I know that in order to induce emf you must change B or change A or change the angle. This also will introduce flux, "phi". I don't really understand how you would exactly change the magnetic field.. I just can't remember.
You can change the area by changing the overall shape of the coil so it's no longer circular, correct? (I seem to remember my prof saying this)
You can change the angle by moving the coil so that the difference between the coil's normal angle & the magnetic field(?) are changed, right?

Also, how would I find the potential difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
The three different ways of producing an emf in a loop of wire and a magnet are:1. Changing the area of the loop: By using a sledge hammer, you can flatten out the coil so that it is no longer circular. The change in area then causes a change in flux and thus, an emf is generated. The potential difference that would be induced in this case would depend on the strength of the magnetic field, the area of the loop before and after the change, and the angle between the normal vector of the loop and the direction of the magnetic field. 2. Changing the angle between the normal vector of the loop and the direction of the magnetic field: By using the sledge hammer, you can rotate the loop so that it changes its angle with respect to the direction of the magnetic field. This will cause a change in flux, and thus an emf is generated. The potential difference that would be induced in this case would depend on the strength of the magnetic field, the area of the loop, and the change in the angle between the normal vector of the loop and the direction of the magnetic field. 3. Changing the strength of the magnetic field: By bringing the permanent magnet closer or further away from the loop, you can change the strength of the magnetic field. This causes a change in flux, and thus an emf is generated. The potential difference that would be induced in this case would depend on the distance between the magnet and the loop, the area of the loop, and the angle between the normal vector of the loop and the direction of the magnetic field. On average, the magnetic field produced by a permanent magnet is in the range of 0.2-2 Tesla. (Source: https://www.magnetseurope.com/blog/magnetic-field-strength-of-permanent-magnets)

1. How does creating emf with a wire coil and magnet work?

When a wire coil is moved through a magnetic field, the changing magnetic field induces a current in the wire. This current generates an electromagnetic force (emf) in the wire, which can be measured by a voltmeter.

2. What materials do I need to create emf with a wire coil and magnet?

You will need a wire coil, a magnet, and a power source to create emf. The wire coil should be made of a conductive material, such as copper, and the magnet should be strong enough to produce a noticeable magnetic field.

3. Can I use any type of wire for a wire coil when creating emf?

Ideally, you should use a wire with a high conductivity and low resistance, such as copper wire. Thicker wires also tend to produce stronger emf. However, you can experiment with different types of wire to see how they affect the emf produced.

4. How can I increase the emf produced by the wire coil and magnet?

To increase the emf, you can either increase the strength of the magnetic field or increase the speed at which the wire coil moves through the field. You can also add more wire loops to the coil to increase the number of times the wire cuts through the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of creating emf with a wire coil and magnet?

The principle of creating emf with a wire coil and magnet is used in many everyday devices, such as generators, electric motors, and transformers. It is also used in some renewable energy technologies, such as wind turbines, to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.