Can anything be reduced down to a single atom?

• Thread starter Wave's_Hand_Particle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom
In summary: Out of phase with another Atom?There is a follow up, but for now I want some yes or no answers.Can a Liquid, say a litre devided in half and half again etc, be reduced down to a single atom?..or would the process only reduce to a finite measure..say two atoms?There is a follow up, but for now I want some yes or no answers.Ok a little to complicated?I have a flask containing a liquid, I have two other empty flasks, that I empty the liquid into, so I divide liquid into two flasks containing equal 'parts', thus completing STAGE-ONE.I now take the two flasks of
Wave's_Hand_Particle
Can a Liquid, say a litre devided in half and half again etc, be reduced down to a single atom?..or would the process only reduce to a finite measure..say two atoms?

There is a follow up, but for now I want some yes or no answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wave's_Hand_Particle said:
Can a Liquid, say a litre devided in half and half again etc, be reduced down to a single atom?..or would the process only reduce to a finite measure..say two atoms?

Ok a little to complicated?

I have a flask containing a liquid, I have two other empty flasks, that I empty the liquid into, so I divide liquid into two flasks containing equal 'parts', thus completing STAGE-ONE.

I now take the two flasks of liquids, and pour each into another set of empty flasks, repeating as identical the first stage process, thus completing STAGE-TWO.

I complete all stages until I have arrived to a point wherby I have a vast number of flasks, each with a single molecule of liquid.

1) This is 'SEPARATION' rather than reductionism.

I now want to progress to REDUCE a single molecule into its base components, if I choose any of the separate molecules, this will not have any different effect of my ability to reduce and record data.

2) What phase are I going to?.. LIQUID to a GAS or LIQUID to SOLID?..and is there a correlated function that is fixed by a law, for any further reduction?..what is the bog-standard process needed for breaking/separating a single molecule into fundamental ATOMIC components?..without adding or taking away any component needed for a precise measurement to be attained.

Now all seems pretty basic, but I want to clarify the processes of Separation as opposed to Reductionism, where is the line drawn? specifically do I allways need to smash TWO atoms from the process of separation for a further examination, if so then the process of Separation attains a limit fir any process that involves Singular Measurements?

Example:
3) A photon is sent into a beam 'splitter' is this process Separation or Reductionism?

4)Is there a limit for PHASE transformations?..can there be some directions one cannot obvious interject..ie from Solids to Liquid to Gas's in a way that Entropy does not allow to occur?

5) Are single Protons/Neutrons classes as Solids , Liquids or Gas phase components

6)Is Entropy, Phase dependant?

7)Is Relativity Phase reliant?

8)Is Quantum Mechanics reductionism or Seperation?

9)Do beam splitters induce inter-phase correlations?..can an entangled photon be sent into two different Phase enviroments a Solid and Liquid?

10)Is Quark Confinement related/consequence, to the phase of matter?

11)Is the wave-function of the Universe correlated to Quark Confinement?

Basic Question, How does one Isolate one self from a system, and STILL, receive information? what are the paramiters needed, are they contained by QM or GR.

This is sort of a trick question, and its relevence is contained within another thread ;)

I will be tacky and point out that I have addressed this issue of "reductionism" several times. This includes a rather tedious essay in my journal addressing the idea of reductionism and the possible fallacy of "The Theory of Everything". There are a few very important references there, especially the one pertaining to why phenomenon such as superconductivity cannot be looked at the way you are exactly doing here.

Zz.

Thanks, a link to your journal, or maybe on PF?.. I presume this is so, and will read your take on this.

Cool, I read some of your journal, I take it the 20th-9 part is very relevant.

I will enjoy a further reading of your journal in its entirety, thanks for actually taking the time to put your opinions,(precise knowledge) for everyones benefit.

Last edited:
Thanks, a link to your journal, or maybe on PF?.. I presume this is so, and will read your take on this.

Cool, I read some of your journal, I take it the 20th-9 part is very relevant.

I will enjoy a further reading of your journal in its entirety, thanks for actually taking the time to put your opinions,(precise knowledge) for everyones benefit.

Is the probability of me separating the #First# amount in stage one, equivelent, equal in probability as in the final stage?..put another way is the chance of me seperating a TWO part molocule into TWO flasks viable?..can a Single Atom be In Isolation!

1. Can anything really be reduced down to a single atom?

Yes, it is possible to reduce certain elements and compounds down to a single atom through various processes such as sublimation, electrolysis, and chemical reactions. However, not all substances can be reduced down to a single atom.

2. Why is it important to study single atoms?

Studying single atoms is crucial in understanding the fundamental building blocks of matter and how they interact with each other. This knowledge can lead to advancements in fields such as medicine, materials science, and nanotechnology.

3. Is it possible for a single atom to exist on its own?

Yes, certain elements on the periodic table, such as noble gases, can exist as single atoms in their natural state. However, most elements and compounds form bonds with other atoms and molecules to create stable structures.

4. Can single atoms be seen with the naked eye?

No, single atoms are too small to be seen with the naked eye. They are typically measured in nanometers, which is one billionth of a meter. Specialized equipment, such as scanning tunneling microscopes, are needed to visualize single atoms.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with reducing matter down to a single atom?

There are ethical considerations when dealing with certain elements and compounds that are potentially harmful or radioactive. It is important for scientists to handle and dispose of these substances responsibly to avoid any negative impacts on the environment or human health.