Calculating Maximum Distributed Load on Beam Using Failure Theories

In summary: This is because the beam will fail in two or more places at the same time.In summary, your beam will not fail just because the extreme fibres have reached one of von Mises or Tresca failure criteria. You need to use plastic theory for this.
AdamX1980X
Having a hard time with failure theories. Beam length 20 feet, 6"h x 4"w. sigma yield is 40 ksi. How to calculate the maximum distributed load the beam could carry using von Mises and Tresca failure theories. I have my shear and moment diagrams drawn and know they are right. I found that the max stress will be dead center due to bending. So sigma x= My/I . according to Tresca tmax = sigma yield/2. So how do I make it all relate to find my sigma1 and sigma 2 to plug into the failure theory equations. Any help would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi AdamX1980X, welcome to PF. So you're looking for the principal stresses σ1 and σ2? If your shear stresses are negligible (a common assumption with long beams), than these are just the largest and second largest normal stresses.

More generally, the principal stresses are the eigenvalues of the stress matrix. Or you can get them graphically from Mohr's circle, if you're familiar with that.

I have not covered the Eigen values of the stress matrix. I have covered Mohr's circle but I think I solved it conceptually. After drawing the shear and moment diagrams and calculating some equations I found the maximum stress to come from bending in the top or bottom of the beam. So sigma yield is sigma x which is sigma 1 I have a 0 value for sigma 2 which is sigma y. After using the stress equations I found that the yield is the same and the load is the same in both cases. Does this sound correct to you. I arrived at this from an example from the book.

Yes, this sounds reasonable.

I am not sure why you are doing this?

Von Mises and Tresca criteria are point failure criteria.
So they are only valid as failure criteria in structural elements for loadings that produce uniform stress distributions eg direct stresses.

The beam that you have described will not fail just because the extreme fibres have reached one of these criteria.

You need to use plastic theory for this.

go well

Last edited:

The reason why I did that is because the moment at the dead center of the bottom or the top is the greatest source of stress. I checked values for other points of the beam but this turned out to have the greatest stress. Indeed this was correct. Thanks for all the help.

The reason why I did that is because the moment at the dead center of the bottom or the top is the greatest source of stress. I checked values for other points of the beam but this turned out to have the greatest stress. Indeed this was correct. Thanks for all the help.

Perhaps you have not yet covered plastic analysis, but at failure of the beam your statement above is not true.

A beam such as you describe has considerable strength above the point where the midspan extreme fibres are stressed beyond their limits and yield.

The failure moment is called the full plastic moment and only occurs when a plastic hinge develops in a simply supported beam.
Other modes of support require more than one plastic hinge (failure section) to develop.

1. What is maximum distributed load?

Maximum distributed load refers to the maximum amount of weight that can be evenly distributed along a beam before it fails or reaches its maximum stress point.

2. What are failure theories?

Failure theories are mathematical models used to predict when and how a material or structure will fail under certain conditions, such as applied load or stress.

3. How do you calculate the maximum distributed load on a beam?

The maximum distributed load on a beam can be calculated using various failure theories, such as the Euler-Bernoulli theory, the Timoshenko theory, or the von Mises theory. The specific calculation method will depend on the type of beam and the material it is made of.

4. What factors affect the maximum distributed load on a beam?

The maximum distributed load on a beam is affected by various factors, including the type of beam, material properties, cross-sectional shape and size, support conditions, and applied load or stress. These factors can impact the beam's ability to withstand and distribute the load before reaching its maximum stress point.

5. Why is it important to calculate the maximum distributed load on a beam?

Calculating the maximum distributed load on a beam is important for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of buildings and other structures. It allows engineers and designers to determine the maximum load a beam can support and make necessary adjustments to avoid failure or damage.