Solve Mcos^2(x) + Ncos(x) – 3 = 0 for M & N | Trig Help

In summary, the solution to the equation Mcos^2(x) + Ncos(x) - 3 = 0 can be found by equating the coefficients with the given solutions of cos x = -3/4 and cos x = 1/2. This will result in the values of M and N. No trigonometric identities are needed for this problem.
Mathhelp77

Homework Statement

If cos(x) = -¾ or cos = ½ then the value of M and N in the equation Mcos^2(x) + Ncos(x) – 3 = 0 are what?

Homework Equations

Identities I can use:
csc(x) = 1/sin(x)
cot(x) = 1/tan(x)
sec(x) = 1/cos(x)
tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x)
cot(x) = cos(x)/sin(x)
sin^2(x) +cos^2(x) = 1
1 +tan^2(x) = sec^2(x)
1 +cot^2(x) = csc^2(x)
sin(A+B) = (sinA)(cosB) + (cosA)(sinB)
sin(A-B) = (sinA)(cosB) - (cosA)(sinB)
cos(A+B) = (cosA)(cosB) - (sinA)(sinB)
cos(A-B) = (cosA)(cosB) + (sinA)(sinB)
sin(2A) = 2(sinA)(cosA)
cos(2A) = cos^2A - sin^2A

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathhelp77 said:
cos = ½

What is that? Welcome to PF. You need to attempt a solution before we can really help.

Alright :) I have kind of a few different things I've been working on and I'm not sure which is right or if any of them are...

I considered using the pythagorean identity to get
-Msin^2(x) + Ncos(x) - 2 = 0

and that is my best guess but that doesn't really make sense cause then I am bringing sin which might make it more difficult :S So... perhaps I have to see what it could factor into?

This is not really a trig question, but more of an algebra question. I assume you know how to solve quadratics by factoring. Here's an example:

[tex]\begin{aligned}
3y^2 - y - 4 &= 0 \\
(3y - 4)(y + 1) &= 0 \\
3y - 4 &= 0 \rightarrow y = 4/3 \\
y + 1 &= 0 \rightarrow y = -1
\end{aligned}[/tex]

But suppose I gave you the solutions y = 4/3 and y = -1 and I want you to find the quadratic with those solutions. We go "backwards":
[tex]\begin{aligned}
y = 4/3 \rightarrow 3y = 4 \rightarrow 3y - 4 &= 0 \\
y = -1 \rightarrow y + 1 &= 0 \\
(3y - 4)(y + 1) &= 0 \\
3y^2 - y - 4 &= 0
\end{aligned}[/tex]

You have to do something similar here. You're given the "solutions":
cos x = -3/4 and cos x = 1/2.
Pretend that "cos x" is the variable. Go "backwards" and find the quadratic in terms of cos x. Equate the coefficients with
[tex]M\cos^2 x + N\cos x - 3 = 0[/tex]
to find M and N. That's it! No identities needed.

okay that makes sense! Thanks a lot you were a huge help!

1. How do I solve the equation Mcos^2(x) + Ncos(x) – 3 = 0 for M and N?

To solve this equation, you will need to use trigonometric identities and techniques. First, use the double angle identity for cosine to express cos^2(x) as (1 + cos(2x))/2. Then, use the substitution u = cos(x) to rewrite the equation as a quadratic equation in terms of u. Solve for u and then use inverse trigonometric functions to solve for x. Finally, plug in the values of M and N to find their solutions.

2. Can this equation be solved without using trigonometric identities?

No, this equation cannot be solved without using trigonometric identities. The equation contains trigonometric functions and cannot be solved using basic algebraic techniques alone.

3. What are the possible values of M and N that will make the equation solvable?

The equation will be solvable for any real value of M and N. However, the solutions for x may be complex numbers. If you are looking for real solutions, then the values of M and N must satisfy certain conditions, such as the discriminant of the quadratic equation in terms of u must be greater than or equal to 0.

4. Can this equation be solved using a graphing calculator?

Yes, this equation can be solved using a graphing calculator. You can graph both sides of the equation and find the x-coordinates of the points of intersection to find the solutions for x. However, this method may not give exact solutions and may only provide approximate values.

5. Can I use a computer program, such as MATLAB, to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a computer program to solve this equation. MATLAB has built-in functions for solving equations and can handle complex numbers as solutions. Other computer programs, such as Wolfram Alpha, can also solve this equation and provide step-by-step solutions.