A book about overcoming pain by increasing pain

In summary, a book was discussed that was possibly written by an MD or Ph.D. and published between 1998-2006. The author's thesis was training the brain to overcome pain. The book received negative reviews from the author's peers and the author went on a lecture circuit to promote it. The speaker had personal experience with the book's methods after an injury and meeting the author. Despite not remembering the title or author, the book was effective in helping a cancer patient with chronic pain. Assistance in finding the book is requested.
Braid
Hello all. I'm looking for a book possibly written by an MD but most likely written by a Ph.D. I believe published sometime between 1998-2006. The author's thesis was/is training the brain to overcome pain (by increasing the pain). Sometime in the time period given above there was either a book review or an interview with the author in The Houston Chronicle Newspaper, not their web news.

The only other thing I can remember is this book was poorly received by the author's peers. The author, a man, went on a [wide?] lecture circuit promoting his thesis.

I had an opportunity to practice what I read within the pages, plus meet and work with him, the author, after an injury and the interesting resuscitation after 22 minutes of a hell of a blast roller-coaster of that "tunnel thing;" however, it left me with so much memory loss. Blah. Blah. Pain is the issue and whether that book is laughed about or not, it works with some people living with a constant 10 on the fun smiley-to-crying 1-10 pain scale. I gave my copy to a cancer patient who after reading this book, flourished!

But, I've no memory of the title, nor memory of the author's name. Can anyone help?

Becoming unbraided with OWWW,
Braid

Biology news on Phys.org
Maybe these fine folks can help: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/

1. What is the purpose of the book?

The purpose of the book is to explore the concept of overcoming pain by increasing pain and to provide strategies and techniques for doing so. It aims to help readers better understand their pain and learn how to use it as a tool for personal growth and resilience.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is anyone who is struggling with pain, whether physical, emotional, or psychological. It may also be helpful for healthcare professionals, therapists, and researchers interested in pain management and resilience.

3. What evidence supports the idea of overcoming pain by increasing pain?

There is a growing body of research that supports the idea of using pain to overcome pain. Studies have shown that facing and gradually increasing exposure to painful stimuli can lead to improved pain tolerance and decreased sensitivity to pain. Additionally, many individuals who have gone through traumatic experiences report that embracing their pain and using it to drive personal growth has been a crucial part of their healing process.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with increasing pain to overcome pain?

Yes, there are potential risks involved in using this approach. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before attempting to use pain as a tool for overcoming pain. Additionally, it is crucial to have a support system in place and to proceed slowly and carefully to avoid exacerbating existing pain or causing further harm.

5. How can I apply the concepts in this book to my own life?

The book provides practical strategies and exercises for incorporating the concept of increasing pain to overcome pain into your daily life. It encourages readers to approach pain with curiosity and openness, rather than avoidance or resistance. By following the suggested practices and techniques, readers can learn to use their pain as a catalyst for personal growth and resilience.