How can I express h in terms of D for this problem?

• Thread starter whatsoever
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving h in terms of D, using the equation sinh(x)=1/2(e^(x)-e^(-x)). The conversation goes on to discuss rearranging, factorizing, and solving the problem using logs and the sinh(x+y) expansion. It is suggested to multiply through by e2xh and solve the resulting quadratic equation in order to find h in terms of D.
whatsoever

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1679/problemhup.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[PLAIN]http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/8075/solutionz.png
That is how far i have got, using that sinh(x)=1/2(e^(x)-e^(-x))
I have to express h in terms of D

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly let

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2.09\cdot 10^6}{D}}=x[/tex]

just to make things clearer and easier to write out. Now we have

[tex]0.5=\frac{e^{xh-10x}-e^{10x-xh}}{e^{xh}-e^{-xh}}[/tex]

So we need to find h in terms of x (which is in terms of D, we can substitute back at the end)
Multiplying through by the denominator of the fraction, and then by [itex]2e^{xh}[/tex] remember that [itex]e^x\cdot e^{-x}=1[/itex] and [tex]e^{x}\cdot e^{x}=e^{2x}[/itex]
So we now have

[tex]e^{2xh}-1=2e^{2xh-10x}-2e^{10x}[/tex]

and from here just rearrange, factorize out the exponents with h present, and solve from there using logs and such.

Seems like i have made a mistake sinh(x+y)=sinh(x).cosh(y)+sinh(y).cosh(x)
considering that and your help I've got this
[PLAIN]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6678/probp.png
but i have no idea what to do next

whatsoever said:
Seems like i have made a mistake sinh(x+y)=sinh(x).cosh(y)+sinh(y).cosh(x)
I haven't studied sinh myself, so I took your word for it. I like that it's similar to the sin(a+b) expansion :wink:

whatsoever said:
considering that and your help I've got this
[PLAIN]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6678/probp.png
but i have no idea what to do next

Again multiply through by exh and you can easily simplify things, such as the [tex]e^{2xh-10x}e^{-2xh-10x}[/tex] term

Mentallic said:
I haven't studied sinh myself, so I took your word for it. I like that it's similar to the sin(a+b) expansion :wink:
Again multiply through by exh and you can easily simplify things, such as the [tex]e^{2xh-10x}e^{-2xh-10x}[/tex] term

i've made a mistake when writing it its not [tex]e^{2xh-10x}e^{-2xh-10x}[/tex], its [tex]e^{2xh-10x}+e^{-2xh-10x}[/tex]

Then multiply through by e2xh. You'll get a quadratic in e2xh, and if you can't see it, let u=e2xh and treat other terms such as e-10x as constants, then solve the quadratic in u, then substitute back.

1. What does it mean to "express h in terms of D"?

Expressing h in terms of D means to write the variable h as a function of the variable D. This means that h will be defined in relation to D and any changes in D will affect the value of h.

2. Why is it important to express h in terms of D?

Expressing h in terms of D allows for a better understanding of the relationship between the two variables. It also allows for easier manipulation and analysis of data, as changes in D can be directly correlated to changes in h.

3. How do you express h in terms of D?

To express h in terms of D, you need to use algebraic manipulations to isolate h on one side of the equation. This may involve using basic algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as more advanced techniques such as substitution and factoring.

4. Can you provide an example of expressing h in terms of D?

Sure, let's say we have the equation h = 2D + 5. To express h in terms of D, we need to isolate h by subtracting 5 from both sides of the equation, giving us h - 5 = 2D. Then, we can divide both sides by 2 to get the final expression h = (2D - 5)/2, which is h expressed in terms of D.

5. What are the benefits of using "h in terms of D" notation?

Using "h in terms of D" notation makes it easier to understand and work with equations that involve multiple variables. It also allows for more precise and efficient calculations, as well as the ability to make predictions and draw conclusions based on the relationship between h and D.