Finding the moment of inertia of a uniform square lamina

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the parallel and perpendicular axis theorems for calculating the moment of inertia for a large square with two smaller squares attached. The correct formula for the moment of inertia is (1/3)*M*(l^2), where l is the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass. There was a mistake made in the calculation of the moment of inertia for the small squares, but it was corrected later on. The final result was a different value due to the mistake.
kingkong69
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9443/ssssnm.png
parallel and perpendicular axis theorem for moment of inertias
So i solved the Moment of inertia for the large square through the perpendicular axis through a,

(1/3)*M*(l^2), where l is 4a/2=2a,
using the perpendicular theorem, Ixx+Iyy=Izz,
we have (4/3)*M*(a^2)+(4/3)*M*(a^2)=(8/3)*M*(a^2), then using the parallel theorem, I,+md^2=I.,
d is the distance AO, which is sqrt.(8)*a therefore d^2= 8a^2
we get (8/3)*M*(a^2) + M*8*(a^2)=(32/3)M*(a^2)

Now I will subtract the moment of inertia of the 2 small squares from the big square's moment of inertia we got.

The small squares moment of inertia through its perpendicular centre is (m/3)*(a/2)^2=ma^2/12, and m is M/9 therefore it is M*a^2/108,

The axis is at vertex A, so we apply the parallel axis theorem, d^2 = 12.5, so we get 25Ma^2/2 + Ma^2/108=1351Ma^2/108

The two small squares are identical so it is 1351Ma^2/54

subtracting we got a different result
Any help is appreciated thanks alot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi kingkong69! :smile:
kingkong69 said:
… m is M/9 …

nooo :redface:

m is M/16 :wink:

Hi tiny-tim!

Thanks for pointed my mistake out, is the rest correct?

Alright I found it! Thanks a ton again!

(1/3)*M*(l^2), where l is 4a/2=2a,
isn't the l here is 32a^2

why are you using the formula 1/3ml^2 inspite of 1/6ml^2?Then why have u taken the a as 4a/2.Please explain and if u got the right answer,please explain it here.

Gauranga said:
why are you using the formula 1/3ml^2 inspite of 1/6ml^2?Then why have u taken the a as 4a/2.Please explain and if u got the right answer,please explain it here.

hey sorry didnt answer you
do you want me to explain it or you ok with it?

What is the moment of inertia of a uniform square lamina?

The moment of inertia of a uniform square lamina is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a property of the object that depends on its mass distribution and the axis of rotation.

How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform square lamina?

The moment of inertia of a uniform square lamina can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * M * a^2, where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the square lamina, and a is the length of one side of the square.

What is the unit of measurement for moment of inertia?

The unit of measurement for moment of inertia is kg*m^2 in the SI system. In other systems, it may be expressed as g*cm^2 or lb*ft^2.

How does the moment of inertia change for different axes of rotation?

The moment of inertia of a uniform square lamina will vary depending on the axis of rotation. It will be smallest when the axis of rotation passes through the center of mass of the square and largest when the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the square.

What is the physical significance of the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is an important physical quantity in rotational dynamics. It helps determine how much torque is required to rotate an object and how fast it will rotate. It also plays a role in determining an object's stability and its ability to resist changes in its rotational motion.