Gross Weight Load: Can It Be Used for Railcar Gravity Force?

In summary, the term "gross weight load" is used to describe the weight of a fully loaded railcar. It is assumed that the vertical force on one chord section is equal to the gross weight load.
Altai
Dear native English speaking professionals!
Would someone please advise on the term "gross weight load" - is it possible to use it for gravity force of a fully loaded railcar?

I use it in the following context:

"Estimated vertical force on one chord section is assumed to be equal to:
q(v) = P(gr) : n
where P(gr) is gross weight load;
n is number of car dumper clamps; it is assumed that n = 8 (4 per side)."

Is it OK to use this term here? Being no native English speaker, I'm not 100% sure...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Altai! :smile:

I'm not familiar with transport terminology :redface:, but I've always understood gross weight to include the load, and net weight to exclude the load …

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_weight#Measuring_weight"
Gross weight is a term that generally is found in commerce or trade applications, and refers to the total weight of a product and its packaging. Conversely, net weight refers to the weight of the product alone, discounting the weight of its container or packaging; and tare weight is the weight of the packaging alone.​

So the word "load" would be unnecessary (I think).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply tiny-tim.
I was also thinking about "gross weight force", but... again, I'm not so sure. Though what "P" stands for is really a force due to the weight of a fully loaded railcar - including the weight of the car itself (tare weight) and the weight of its contents (net weight).

Hi Altai! :smile:

Weight is a force.

m is mass, and mg is weight.

Of course, a lot of people say "weight" when they mean "mass" …

who is this being written for?​

It's for English-speaking railwaymen. I'm just translating some Russian material into English.
So the "force" part is also excessive here? Oops.

Altai said:
It's for English-speaking railwaymen.

mmm … I don't really understand why a railwayman would be interested in force :confused:

what calculations do they need to make?

Don't they simply want to know what the weight (the mass) is?

tiny-tim said:
mmm … I don't really understand why a railwayman would be interested in force :confused:

Well, the material is about all kinds of loads and forces acting on a railcar, so why not?

Tare weight = weight of the empty container or car
Net weight = weight of the contents of the container or car
Gross weight = total of Tare and Net weights

These figures are displayed on the sides of shipping containers, for instance

1. What is gross weight load?

Gross weight load refers to the total weight of a railcar and its contents. It takes into account the weight of the railcar itself, along with any cargo, passengers, and other items being transported on the railcar.

2. How is gross weight load calculated?

Gross weight load is typically calculated by weighing the railcar on a scale. The weight of any cargo or other items on the railcar is also added to this measurement to determine the total gross weight load.

3. Can gross weight load be used for railcar gravity force?

Yes, gross weight load can be used to determine the railcar's gravity force. Gravity force is the force exerted on an object due to the Earth's gravitational pull. The heavier the railcar, the greater the gravity force acting on it.

4. Why is it important to consider gross weight load for railcar gravity force?

Gross weight load is important to consider for railcar gravity force because it affects the stability and safety of the railcar. If the gross weight load exceeds the maximum weight capacity of the railcar, it can lead to potential accidents or damage to the railcar.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines for gross weight load and railcar gravity force?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines set by the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) that specify the maximum gross weight load and gravity force for railcars. It is important for railcar operators to adhere to these regulations to ensure the safety of their operations.