Connecting Quadrature Encoder to Single-Ended Channel: Advice

• Thread starter jxlee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Encoder
In summary: You'll need to hook up ground of the scope as well.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a single-ended encoder channel to drive a motor with a quadrature encoder that has A- A+ and B- B+ signals. The question is whether it is possible to connect either the A+ and B+ or A- and B- signals to the single-ended encoder channel. It is also asked if it is possible to connect the encoder directly to the motion controller without going through the driver. The response suggests checking the polarity of the signals and using an oscilloscope to determine the correct connections.
jxlee
I have one quadrature encoder with A- A+ and B- B+ Signal, but my driver is a single-ended encoder channel?
Can i just connect either the A+ and B+ or A_ and B- signal to the single-ended encoder channel?
Please advise.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
jxlee said:
I have one quadrature encoder with A- A+ and B- B+ Signal, but my driver is a single-ended encoder channel?
Can i just connect either the A+ and B+ or A_ and B- signal to the single-ended encoder channel?
Please advise.
Thanks

Could you please post more details? You don't drive an encoder.

Now i have a motor with quadrate encoder from MicroE-Mecury Model 1510-S with A- A+ and B- B+ Signal, and i want use my Advanced motion controller (BE15A8) to drive the motor. From the driver its only have Single-ended encoder A and B. So can i just connect the A+ and B+ from the encoder direct to the controller?

Beside that is it possible direct connect the encoder signal to amotion controller and didnt go through the driver? Please advise. Thanks

the + and - means that the signals are differential pairs

to me it sounds like it is possible to use it by connecting the - pairs to your encoder... someone sent this to me, i hope that it can help you
Standard polarity signals consist of a “positive” level, pulse or edge in RS-422 input mode. (This
means the + input has a higher, more positive, voltage than the – input.) In single-ended logic-level
input mode, standard polarity consists of a “negative” level, pulse or edge. (This means the input is
at logic zero, about 0.7 volts or less.)
This definition of polarity is by convention. TTL signals have been historically “active low.” Many
sensors and opto-couplers are “active low.”

For as far as I can reproduce from your information, you have an dual channel encoder. Basicly this means channel A and B are shifted a few degrees from each other. In this way, you can determine the rotation direction (clockwise or counterclockwise).

Try powering the encoder and see if you can get a pulse signal from either A+ and A- or B+ and B-. Theres some deviation in the logic signals you get from an encoder, but experience tells me hooking up A+ and A- to an osciliscope should do the trick.

1. How do I connect a quadrature encoder to a single-ended channel?

To connect a quadrature encoder to a single-ended channel, you will need to use a voltage divider circuit. This circuit will convert the differential signals from the encoder into single-ended signals that can be read by the channel.

2. What components do I need to build a voltage divider circuit?

You will need resistors and capacitors to build a voltage divider circuit. The values of these components will depend on the input and output impedance of your encoder and channel, as well as the desired voltage level.

3. How do I determine the appropriate values for the resistors and capacitors in the voltage divider circuit?

To determine the values for the resistors and capacitors, you will need to consult the datasheets for your encoder and channel. Look for the input and output impedance values and use these to calculate the appropriate values for the voltage divider circuit.

4. Are there any other considerations when connecting a quadrature encoder to a single-ended channel?

Yes, there are a few other things to consider. You will need to pay attention to the wiring and placement of the components to minimize noise and interference. You may also need to add filtering or shielding to further reduce noise.

5. Can I use a single-ended channel with a quadrature encoder without a voltage divider circuit?

No, a voltage divider circuit is necessary to convert the differential signals from the encoder into single-ended signals that can be read by the channel. Trying to connect a quadrature encoder directly to a single-ended channel can result in inaccurate or unreliable readings.