Earth Sciences for a math guy?

• Thread starter gungywamp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, the speaker is a fourth year student with a major in Applied Math and minor in Physics who is looking into interdisciplinary graduate programs in Math and Earth Sciences. They have found a few interesting programs and are seeking insight on the types of math involved and the possibility of focusing on theory or computation rather than experiment. They also ask for recommendations on similar programs. The conversation ends with encouragement to pursue this path and a reminder to find a supervisor who is strong in math for advanced studies.
gungywamp
I will be entering my fourth and final year of study for my BS in Applied Math with a minor in Physics, and I have been looking into graduate programs to apply to. In my searches, I have come across a few programs that are interdisciplinary degrees between Math and Earth Sciences that looked pretty interesting:

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/edu/grad/
http://caos.cims.nyu.edu/page/home

I was hoping that someone may have some insight to offer. Particularly, I was wondering what kinds of math I could expect to do if I went this route, and if it would be possible to focus more on theory or computation than experiment. I was also wondering if anyone knew of any similar programs that I could look into.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are interested in the Earth then go for it! The subject is very multi-disciplinary, there is definitely space for mathematicians.

For climate science you will definitely need to do fluid physics. If you want to go into seismology or solid Earth geophysics you will need inverse theory. The maths can get as advanced as you like, but if you want to get super advanced make sure you get a supervisor who is big on maths.

1. What is the relationship between math and Earth sciences?

Math is essential to understanding and analyzing the Earth and its processes. It provides the tools and language for measuring and describing various phenomena such as weather patterns, geological features, and climate change. In Earth sciences, math is used to create models, make predictions, and interpret data.

2. How does math play a role in studying the Earth's climate?

Math is crucial in studying the Earth's climate as it allows us to analyze large datasets, create climate models, and make predictions about future climate change. Math concepts such as statistics, calculus, and geometry are used to understand and interpret data from various sources, including satellite imagery, weather stations, and ocean buoys.

3. Can you give an example of how math is used in geology?

In geology, math is used to measure and describe the Earth's topography, calculate the volume of rocks and minerals, and determine the age of different geological formations. For example, trigonometry is used to measure the height of mountains, while radiometric dating uses mathematical equations to determine the age of rocks.

4. How does math help in understanding natural disasters?

Math plays a critical role in understanding and predicting natural disasters such as earthquakes, hurricanes, and volcanic eruptions. By analyzing data and creating mathematical models, scientists can make predictions about the likelihood and severity of these events. Math also helps in designing structures and systems that can withstand natural disasters.

5. Are there any specific branches of math that are particularly important in Earth sciences?

Yes, there are several branches of math that are particularly important in Earth sciences, including statistics, calculus, and geometry. Other important areas include differential equations, linear algebra, and computer programming. These branches of math help in analyzing and interpreting data, creating models, and making predictions about the Earth's processes.