Fermi LAT Sensitivity: Estimating Spectral Flux in Jy

In summary, the sensitivity of the Fermi LAT in units of spectral flux is approximately 6\times10^{-11} \textrm{Jy} or a limiting magnitude of 29. This takes into account the energy resolution of the LAT and yields a more accurate result.
zhermes
I'm trying to figure out the sensitivity of the Fermi LAT, in units of spectral flux---e.g. Jansky, or a limiting magnitude which could easily be converted. I've only found sensitivity in traditional high-energy terms, e.g:
[tex]4\times10^{-6} \textrm{ photons/s/cm}^2[/tex]
for photons above 100 MeV, with a photon spectral index of -2.1
from http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.1436" .

The published spectral range of the LAT is 20 MeV to 300 GeV, thus for a spectral index of -2.1, I find that the average photon energy (above 100 MeV) should be about 606 MeV.
This gives a sensitivity of about [tex]3.9\times10^{-9} \textrm{ ergs/s/cm}^2[/tex] That seems fair.

Now, to get spectral flux, one needs to divide by the bandpass to yield units of ergs/s/cm^2/Hz, and then 1 Jy = 10^-23 erg/s/cm^2/Hz (wikipedia).

Dividing by a bandpass of 300 GeV (~7e25 Hz) gives a sensitivity of ~[tex]5\times10^{-12} \textrm{ Jy}[/tex]! That can't be right! This would correspond to a limiting magnitude of 37!

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!
Z

EDIT: This value is for an integration of 100s --- not very long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm also not sure how to account for the energy resolution/window of the LAT, which is typically ~10%.It looks like you need to take into account the energy resolution of the LAT when calculating the spectral flux. The energy resolution is about 10%, so that means that only 10% of the energy of the photons in the range of 100 MeV to 300 GeV will actually be detected by the LAT. So if your average photon energy is 606 MeV, then the effective energy of the photons detected by the LAT will be more like 600 MeV. Using this revised energy value and dividing by the bandpass of 300 GeV (~7e25 Hz) gives a sensitivity of ~6\times10^{-11} \textrm{Jy}. This corresponds to a limiting magnitude of ~29, which is much more realistic.

1. What is Fermi LAT Sensitivity?

Fermi LAT Sensitivity refers to the ability of the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope's Large Area Telescope (LAT) to detect and measure the flux of gamma rays from astronomical sources. It is a measure of the instrument's sensitivity to different energy levels of gamma rays.

2. How is spectral flux in Jy estimated?

Spectral flux in Jy (jansky) is estimated using the formula: flux (Jy) = 10^(log(Energy Flux (erg/cm^2/s)) - 23), where Energy Flux is the spectral energy flux in erg/cm^2/s. This formula is used to convert the energy flux into units of jansky for easier comparison with other telescopes and instruments.

3. What is the significance of estimating spectral flux in Jy?

Estimating spectral flux in Jy allows for easier comparison of data from different telescopes and instruments. It also provides a standardized unit for measuring the brightness of astronomical sources at different energy levels.

4. How does Fermi LAT Sensitivity impact astronomical research?

The high sensitivity of the Fermi LAT allows for the detection of faint and distant astronomical sources, providing valuable data for researchers. It also allows for the study of a wide range of astronomical phenomena, including pulsars, supernovae, and active galactic nuclei.

5. How is Fermi LAT Sensitivity measured and evaluated?

Fermi LAT Sensitivity is measured and evaluated using a combination of simulations and data analysis. The instrument's performance is regularly monitored and evaluated to ensure accurate and precise measurements of spectral flux in Jy.