Biology/other database in PF library

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a library for Biology in order to provide a reference for common and recurring topics. The participants suggest starting with an FAQ and identifying comprehensive terms and concepts for the library. They also discuss the need for entries on evolution, genetics, abiogenesis, immunology, and genetic modification. It is mentioned that the library should be concise and that it can be searched using keywords on Google. There is also a question about viewing all the contents of the PF library, to which the answer is yes by selecting "physics" or "mathematics" on the left side menu and clicking go.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
see title

Physics news on Phys.org

I think we really do need this.

Pythagorean said:
see title

Will you be contributing to it? :smile:

yes!

idea: we can use this thread to submit content too and not add the database until we have sufficient content to make it worth the effort.

Anyone else interested in adding Biology to the library? Anyone else else want to contribute?

I have strong doubts about whether there is any point in saying this, but all I can say is that where it requires legwork, I am willing to contribute with legwork. Where it requires expertise I don't have, there is obviously nothing I can do about that. I'm not sure what you have in mind, Pythagorean but I'm supposing that what you are trying to do is to provide a reference to field some of the more regular and common misconceptions. Perhaps the first thing is just to identify as comprehensive as possible a list of terms and concepts requiring definition and explanation in the library. That might act as a trigger for those with the relevant expertise to contibute over time until all of the items in the list have been defined and explained in a scientifically robust manner. Or is all that is required is a list of references to Wiki?! I don't know.

Could someone explain where/what is this library please?

Studiot said:

Thank you for throwing yourself on that grenade.

Word to Pythagorean: if you think a description of something is self-explanatory, it probably isn't.

You can always trust the special forces, Dave.

:wink:

I always thought you were kinda Special.

:biggrin:

Studiot said:
The Library can be found by linking on the Green "library' link at the top of every page.

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php

I'm not the most expert tease either, but I think each definition should really be a community effort anyway. Especially the core definitions.

My (our!) first contributions should be a description of abiogenesis and a small discussion on the meaning of life.

We already have threads with expert responses in them on these subjects, it only a matter of synthesis.

Doh! by meaning I mean definition.

Pythagorean said:
I'm not the most expert tease either, but I think each definition should really be a community effort anyway. Especially the core definitions.

My (our!) first contributions should be a description of abiogenesis and a small discussion on the meaning of life.

We already have threads with expert responses in them on these subjects, it only a matter of synthesis.

That's a great idea. Lots of themes in the bio forums come up over and over again, from what I've seen.

lisab said:
That's a great idea. Lots of themes in the bio forums come up over and over again, from what I've seen.

We would also need a basic introduction to evolution and genetics (one of the most recurring themes in the Biology Forums).

Sounds like a good idea! What kind of things to people think we should put together? What comes up the most often? Evolution is a fairly good one.

EDIT: Other ideas I've thought of;
Central Dogma of Biology
Abiogenesis
Immunology
Genetic Modification

Also I've been looking through current library pieces and they seem to be quite short and sweet. Perhaps it's just that my academic background has always had a different emphasis (comprehensive but concise) but I think it may be hard to pin down a lot of the common biology topics in a short entry. Whilst in the rest of the forum people may have specific questions most of the time in biology people ask very vague questions often spanning multiple fields e.g. why did love evolve.

However my academic taste-buds have been thoroughly tantalised now so if anyone has any suggestions/advise I'd been keen to put together some libraries entries when I have the time.

Last edited:
Idea: Start with an FAQ. Define the terms as needed in the FAQ.

you can use google to quickly search physicsforums on keywords:

Abiogenesis/Evolution and the second law is a popular one:
Code:
~abiogenesis ~evolution +second +law site:physicsforums.com

the + signs mean the word MUST be there, the ~ means any "approximation" to the word,
"site:physicsforums.com" refrains the search to physicsforums.com :)

ryan_m_b said:
Also I've been looking through current library pieces and they seem to be quite short and sweet.

Indeed, we are not trying to reinvent wiki. This is simply a quick reference for PF members to use who find a term they aren't familiar with and want to learn more without having to leave PF.

A side question here:-

Is it possible to see all the contents of PF library? Whenever i visit PF library, it only shows the top viewed, recent additions and top contributors. If it could have been possible to see all the contents of PF library.

Pranav-Arora said:
A side question here:-

Is it possible to see all the contents of PF library? Whenever i visit PF library, it only shows the top viewed, recent additions and top contributors. If it could have been possible to see all the contents of PF library.

On the left side menu under "Defined browse" You can simply select "physics" or "mathematics" and then click go.

Greg Bernhardt said:
On the left side menu under "Defined browse" You can simply select "physics" or "mathematics" and then click go.

Thank you Greg! :smile:

1. What is biology and why is it important?

Biology is the scientific study of living organisms and their interactions with their environment. It helps us understand the complex processes of life and how living organisms function. It is important because it allows us to understand and improve our own health, the health of our planet, and the relationships between different species.

2. What is a database in biology?

A database in biology is a collection of organized and structured information related to biological data. This can include genetic information, research findings, and other data sets that can be used for analysis and research purposes.

3. What are the different types of databases used in biology?

There are various types of databases used in biology, including sequence databases, which contain genetic information such as DNA and protein sequences; taxonomy databases, which organize information about different species and their classification; and literature databases, which contain published research articles and other literature related to biology.

4. How are databases in biology created and maintained?

Databases in biology are created and maintained by teams of scientists, researchers, and database curators. They collect, organize, and verify the data before making it available to the public. They also continuously update and maintain the databases to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information.

5. How can I access and use databases in biology for my research?

Many databases in biology are available for free online and can be accessed through various platforms, such as the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) and the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI). To use these databases for research, you can search for specific data sets or information using keywords or filters, and then analyze the data using various tools and software programs.