Why Waiting for i56.tinypic.com

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary: You may have got it as part of the "package deal" from your DSL supplier, in which case the default settinbg may be to block images. I've found that if I reload the page several times (3 or 4 times), I finally get all the content.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
why "Waiting for i56.tinypic.com"

I keep getting this Firefox status message in some threads. Like this one that, as far as I can tell, has no reason to load tinypic.com:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=516977"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

dlgoff said:
I keep getting this Firefox status message in some threads. Like this one that, as far as I can tell, has no reason to load tinypic.com:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=516977"

Doesn't the diagram on that page:

2zeytjq.png

require tinypic?

Last edited by a moderator:

micromass said:
Doesn't the diagram on that page:

2zeytjq.png

require tinypic?
I'm not seeing any diagram. WTF?

edit: I tried opening http://i56.tinypic.com/2zeytjq.png in a new tab. No Go!

dlgoff said:
I'm not seeing any diagram. WTF?
That's because you're getting that message that your browser can't download it.

Can you switch to a different browser?

Evo said:
That's because you're getting that message that your browser can't download it.

Never had that problem before. I'd rather not change browsers.

dlgoff said:

Okay. I found the problem. An add-on was causing it. Thanks Evo.

dlgoff said:

You're using Firefox right? Can you perhaps restart firefox with no add-ons?? Go to help -> restart with disabled add-ons.
Sometimes this works for me if I have problems.

EDIT: never mind.

micromass said:
You're using Firefox right? Can you perhaps restart firefox with no add-ons?? Go to help -> restart with disabled add-ons.
Sometimes this works for me if I have problems.

EDIT: never mind.

Thanks micromass. I appreciate your help.

Evo said:
You probably shouldn't say that to someone who's using Firefox. :smile:

Fredrik said:
:tongue2:

This is nuts. After removing the add-on I was able to see the pic. Now it's happening again so I tried micromass's suggestion. Still getting the "waiting" status.

Dang. I restarted FF. Now it's working again.

edit: restarted again. Now it's not working. I'll quite bothering you all here and keep trouble-shooting.

Evo said:

Fredrik said:

Indeed. But I tried IE anyway. That didn't work either. So Firefox is not the problem.

dlgoff said:
Indeed. But I tried IE anyway. That didn't work either. So Firefox is not the problem.
Curious, which version of IE?

This is what I'm seeing; sometimes tinypic and never latex (see attachment PF1)
This is what I'm seeing if I view view just the post 1 (see attachment PF2)

Attachments

• PF1.jpg
    PF1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 398
  • PF2.jpg
    PF2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 426

Evo said:
Curious, which version of IE?

Well I tried it on IE 8 then upgraded to IE 9. Same problem.

Edit: If I uncheck the FF option "load images automatically", I can get the latex but not the image. Then if I recheck the option, it works since it gets cached. Clearing the cache...problem back.

You seem to be using the old version of firefox, no?? What happens if you get the recent version?

micromass said:
You seem to be using the old version of firefox, no?? What happens if you get the recent version?
It's the latest. Version 5.0

Damn. I guess I have to live with not being able to view "tinypic.com" in order view mathjack/stix-fonts. I blocked it.

dlgoff said:
It's the latest. Version 5.0
Don,

A bit of advice, anything using FireFox past version 3.6.(5?) or so I believe I had issues, anything in version 4 at the time, and now you say version 5.X. I would stick with what works and leave it as is, same thing used to happen in the days when I used IE too, if I was a version of two behind, it was pretty stable to rock stable. This strategy has served me well.

Rhody... :wink:

But FireFox 5 was working fine until just recently. Tinypic sucks not FireFox IMO.

Edit: So why does IE 8 and IE 9 have the same results?

I'm beginning to think it is associated with my change from dial-up to DSL. Possible?

dlgoff said:
I'm beginning to think it is associated with my change from dial-up to DSL. Possible?
Maybe "Roger" has found his way pecking into your DSL line, hehe... causing a bad connection...

Rhody... :grumpy:

P.S. I don't use IE, unless FF does not support some function I need. I use it for that one time and then back to FF, again using an older version. You might try that, just for giggles.

rhody said:
You might try that, just for giggles.

Thanks, but I'm good. With FF that is. :biggrin:

I've found that if I reload the page several times (3 or 4 times), I finally get all the content. :smile:

dlgoff said:
Edit: So why does IE 8

FWIW IE8 shows the picture in this thread for me with no problems.

Possibly you have some installed over-enthusiastic ad-blocker, popup-blocker or antivirus software.

You may have got it as part of the "package deal" from your DSL supplier, in which case the default settinbg may be "make the web safe for 5-year-olds to view", until you reconfigure it.

AlephZero said:
You may have got it as part of the "package deal" from your DSL supplier, in which case the default settinbg may be "make the web safe for 5-year-olds to view", until you reconfigure it.

Very possible. I'll look into this. Thanks

1. Why is "Waiting for i56.tinypic.com" taking so long?

There could be a few reasons for this delay. It is possible that the server hosting i56.tinypic.com is experiencing high traffic or technical issues, causing the site to load slowly. It could also be due to a slow internet connection on your end. Additionally, if the image or resource being loaded from i56.tinypic.com is large or high-quality, it may take longer to load.

2. Is there a way to speed up the "Waiting for i56.tinypic.com" process?

If the delay is caused by a slow internet connection, you can try improving your connection speed by resetting your router or connecting to a different network. You can also try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, as this can sometimes help with loading speeds. However, if the issue is on the server side, there is not much you can do to speed up the process.

3. Can I access the content on i56.tinypic.com while waiting?

Unfortunately, you will not be able to access the content on i56.tinypic.com until the site finishes loading. However, if you are trying to access a specific image or resource, you can try searching for it on a different site or platform.

4. How long should I wait for i56.tinypic.com to load before giving up?

The loading time for i56.tinypic.com can vary based on the reasons mentioned in the first question. If the site has been loading for more than a few minutes without any progress, it may be a good idea to try accessing it at a later time or finding an alternative source for the content you are looking for.

5. Is "Waiting for i56.tinypic.com" a sign of a security issue?

In most cases, "Waiting for i56.tinypic.com" is not a sign of a security issue. It is simply a message indicating that the browser is waiting for the site to load. However, if you encounter any suspicious behavior or pop-ups while waiting for i56.tinypic.com, it is best to close the window and run a virus scan on your device.