I am Looking for a green color molecule less than 3 angstrom in size

In summary, the conversation is about finding a green color molecule that is less than 3 angstrom in size. The initial suggestion of using Cr2O3 was rejected due to its size being greater than 3.5 angstrom. It is suggested to try Vanadium and Titanium for potential green molecules. However, the conversation takes a turn towards discussing the difficulty of finding a size database. The conversation then shifts towards using the assumption that the molecules are cubic in shape and calculating the size based on mass and volume. The actual value for water is found to be 2.8 angstrom. Finally, a list of green inorganic molecules is provided from the book "Structural Inorganic Chemistry" by Wells.
Panthera Leo
I am Looking for a green color molecule less than 3 angstrom in size...

I have found Cr2O3 but its greater than 3.5 angstrom... so anything smaller will do the job :)

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't have size lists, but several metal chlorides and oxides and disulphides are green, try Vanadium and Titanium for the less exotic ones.

If you can do some size research I can make a green list.

Thanks studiot,

Actually I didn't find any size database either... so I am making guesses by assuming the molecules are cubic in shape; so its length = CubeRoot (Mass/Volume) :p

I checked it with water & it wasn't bad;
Mass of molecule= 3x10^-23 gm
Density = 1 gm/cm^3
hence V= m/D = 3x10^-23 cm^3
taking the cuberoot = 3.1x10^-8 cm = 3.1 Angstom

The actual value is 2.8 Angstrom on its longest side!

Last edited:
I have bond length tables.
Of course you need the bond angles then.

The definitive work is

Structural Inorganic Chemistry

by Wells

(Oxford)

Green inorganic molecules

HSb(OH)6
Be
Cr2O2
Cr(OH)3.2H2O
Cr3C2
CrF3
CuHAsO3
CuCl2.2H2O
Fe(OH)2
FeI2.2H2O
FeSO4(NH4)2SO4.2H2O
FeCl2.4H2O
FeCO3
Fe(CO)5
FeSO4.7H2O
Fe2S3
MnO
NiO
Ni(OH)2
Ni(C2H3O2)2
NiCl3NH4Cl.6H2O
NISO4.(NH4)2SO4.6H2O
NiCO3
2NiCO3.3Ni(OH)2.4H2O
Ni(CN)2.4H2O
Ni(NO3)2.6H2O
Ni3(PO4)2.7H2O
Nb
OsCl2
Pd2S
(NH4)2PdCl4
PtCl2
PtP2O7
PuBr3
K2MnO4
Pr2O3
Pr2(SO4)3
SmCl3
AgC2H3O2
Na2MnO4.10H2O
SnO2
TiS2
W2C
U3O8
UCl4
U(SO4)2.4H2O
VO
VO2
VCl2
VN
YbCl3.6H2O

go well

What is the significance of looking for a green color molecule less than 3 angstrom in size?

The size and color of a molecule can provide important information about its properties and potential applications. In this case, a green color molecule less than 3 angstrom in size may have unique optical and electronic properties that could be useful in various fields such as nanotechnology and materials science.

How do scientists determine the size of a molecule?

Scientists use various techniques such as X-ray crystallography, electron microscopy, and spectroscopy to determine the size of a molecule. These techniques involve analyzing the scattering or absorption of radiation by the molecule and using mathematical models to calculate its size.

Why is the 3 angstrom size limit important for this search?

The 3 angstrom size limit is important because it falls within the range of nanoscale particles, which have unique properties due to their small size. Molecules smaller than this limit may exhibit quantum effects and have high surface-to-volume ratios, making them potentially useful in various applications.

What is the significance of the green color in this search?

The green color may indicate the presence of certain chemical groups or bonds within the molecule that contribute to its unique properties. Additionally, the color may also be indicative of its potential use in applications such as sensors, solar cells, and light-emitting devices.

How does the search for a green color molecule less than 3 angstrom in size contribute to scientific knowledge?

By searching for and studying molecules with specific properties, scientists can gain a better understanding of their structure and behavior at the nanoscale. This knowledge can then be applied to the development of new materials and technologies with improved performance and functionality.