Mobile version not marking read posts

• Thread starter Grep
  • Start date
In summary, the mobile version of PF does not always mark threads as read. It would be helpful to have a way to switch between the regular desktop version and the mobile version. Additionally, the mobile version is difficult to navigate and lacks some features found in the regular version.
Grep
Is it just me missing something, or does the mobile version of PF not mark threads I've already read? Normally, it bolds the subject when it's new or contains unread posts. But that doesn't seem to happen on the mobile version, that I can tell.

Otherwise, I like it so far. Won't be writing massive replies on my phone, mind you. This message was painful enough to write already.

EDIT: Also, "normal version" link just sends me back to the same mobile page. I also find the missing "forum bug" means it's hard to navigate back to the forum without pressing back a bunch of times.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Grep said:
Is it just me missing something, or does the mobile version of PF not mark threads I've already read? Normally, it bolds the subject when it's new or contains unread posts. But that doesn't seem to happen on the mobile version, that I can tell.

Otherwise, I like it so far. Won't be writing massive replies on my phone, mind you. This message was painful enough to write already.
It doesn't always happen on the regular version either.

True, it's sometimes glitchy, but it usually works for me. Maybe it's just Opera mobile. I usually use FireFox.

p.s. Added two more comments in an edit to the original post.

Grep said:

Yes it doesn't happen on the mobile version.

Grep said:
EDIT: Also, "normal version" link just sends me back to the same mobile page.

You said that you are using opera mobile but it seems you are using opera mini. Can you confirm which browser you are using? If its mini, clicking the "normal version" link won't do anything. Opera Mobile however displays the site just like a desktop browser would unless you have enabled mobile view.

Grep said:
I also find the missing "forum bug" means it's hard to navigate back to the forum without pressing back a bunch of times.

I always find a link to the home page right at the top.

mishrashubham said:
Yes it doesn't happen on the mobile version.

Thanks for confirming. Don't know that there's anything to be done, but Greg et al., consider that a feature request. Kind of important to be able to tell if there's a new post in a thread or not.

mishrashubham said:
You said that you are using opera mobile but it seems you are using opera mini. Can you confirm which browser you are using? If its mini, clicking the "normal version" link won't do anything. Opera Mobile however displays the site just like a desktop browser would unless you have enabled mobile view.

Actually, seems you're right! I just installed the mobile version as well. Seems they'll both come in handy. Though I can't see how to switch to mobile view in the mobile version of Opera. No link right on the pages that I can see, and I don't see it in my account settings. Probably just missing it.

Would be really useful to be able to generally switch between both modes. The full PF is more painful on a mobile in some respects, but it does offer full functionality. The mobile version clearly is lacking, but it's a lot easier to use on the small screen.

Granted, with these issues, I'll probably stick to the full PF interface anyways. Not marking threads with unread messages is a big issue, as is the terrible navigation in the mobile version.

mishrashubham said:
I always find a link to the home page right at the top.

True, the link to the main PF homepage is there. But let's say I read through a thread with 5 pages. On the 5th page, I reply to a post. After it's posted, I seem to be able to find two ways to get back to the forum I was just reading, and both are terrible.

One, I can click on the PF link at the top and end up at the PF main page, navigate back to the forum and keep reading. Or two, I can click the back button (or link) past all the forms for posting the message, and five more times to get past the 5 pages of posts. On the full PF, I can just click on the forum name in the "bug".

By navigation bug, I mean below the button bar where you get things like this:

Physics Forums > PF Lounge > Forum Feedback & Announcements > etc...

Lacking that makes the navigation pretty unbearable. On my laptop, I just open posts in another tab, which makes it a non-issue on that device.

Of course I've not used the mobile version for long, and I can easily be missing things. Though whatever I'm missing should probably be more obvious.

Anyways, I guess I'll use mostly my laptop and the non-mobile version with Opera Mobile for now. And hopefully the mobile version will become more useful in the future. Consider this some constructive feedback on it.

Thanks to you both for responding!

Grep said:
True, the link to the main PF homepage is there. But let's say I read through a thread with 5 pages. On the 5th page, I reply to a post. After it's posted, I seem to be able to find two ways to get back to the forum I was just reading, and both are terrible.

One, I can click on the PF link at the top and end up at the PF main page, navigate back to the forum and keep reading. Or two, I can click the back button (or link) past all the forms for posting the message, and five more times to get past the 5 pages of posts. On the full PF, I can just click on the forum name in the "bug".

By navigation bug, I mean below the button bar where you get things like this:

Physics Forums > PF Lounge > Forum Feedback & Announcements > etc...

Lacking that makes the navigation pretty unbearable. On my laptop, I just open posts in another tab, which makes it a non-issue on that device.

Of course I've not used the mobile version for long, and I can easily be missing things. Though whatever I'm missing should probably be more obvious.

Anyways, I guess I'll use mostly my laptop and the non-mobile version with Opera Mobile for now. And hopefully the mobile version will become more useful in the future. Consider this some constructive feedback on it.

I guess you are using an older version. Opera Mini 6, the latest one, supports multiple tabs just like your desktop browser. So you might like to update your software.
http://www.opera.com/mobile/download/versions/

mishrashubham said:
I guess you are using an older version. Opera Mini 6, the latest one, supports multiple tabs just like your desktop browser. So you might like to update your software.

Still learning how to use it, so more of an issue with it being new to me. Hadn't realized I could long press to open a link, and get an option to open in a new tab.

Thanks a lot for the tip! That's going to come in handy. One problem down.

1. Why does the mobile version not mark read posts as read?

The mobile version of a website may not mark read posts as read due to a number of reasons. It could be a bug in the code, a compatibility issue with the device or browser, or a setting that needs to be adjusted.

2. How can I fix the issue of mobile version not marking read posts as read?

If you are experiencing this issue, the first step is to try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. If that does not work, try accessing the website on a different device or browser. If the problem persists, reach out to the website's support team for assistance.

3. Is there a way to manually mark posts as read on the mobile version?

The ability to manually mark posts as read on the mobile version depends on the website's design. Some websites may have a feature for users to mark posts as read, while others may not. Check the website's FAQ or contact their support team for more information.

4. Will the mobile version eventually mark read posts as read?

If the issue is due to a bug or technical error, the mobile version should eventually mark read posts as read once the issue is resolved. However, if the problem is due to a setting or compatibility issue, it may require manual action from the user to mark posts as read.

5. Can I switch to the desktop version to have the posts marked as read?

In some cases, switching to the desktop version of a website may solve the issue of posts not being marked as read on the mobile version. However, this may not always be possible or convenient. It is best to reach out to the website's support team for assistance with resolving the issue on the mobile version.