Some doubts in attaching images

• Thread starter logearav
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of uploading and attaching images in multiple threads on the Physicsforums website. It is noted that there is a restriction on directly uploading files to PF, and instead, users are advised to upload the image to an external image hosting service and then use the image in their post. It is also mentioned that there may be some discrepancies in the behavior of the image depending on the browser being used, and that the image may not be visible if the original post that attached it is deleted or if the viewer is not logged in.
logearav
Dear Sirs,
This has been an excellent forum which hones my physics knowledge through dedicated members who have been tireless and meticulous in their efforts. At the outset i express my thanks for that.
When i try to attach the same image in more than one thread, it is not accepted. Why? Sometimes, i may need to post the same image in different thread to get response for some other query. Even if i rename the image, Physicsforums is not accepting. Help in this regard will be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
If you upload the attachment to an image hosting service, you can post it in multiple threads/forums. Perhaps Greg can answer the question as to why there is a restriction on uploading files directly to PF. I've wondered that myself.

attachment.php?attachmentid=38100&d=1313694043.gif

Borek said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38099&d=1313693862

Didn't seem to post right in your test, Borek...

Here is the story: if your attachment is on the server (attached to different post in different thread), you can use it in your other posts, just like any external image (using [noparse][/noparse] tags). Two caveats: when you original post is deleted, attachment is removed, when someone is not logged, he can't see the image.

Could be there is more to it, as I see different behavior in Chrome and in Opera - but this can be cache related.

Edit: Berkeman quoted older version of my post, one which used attachment that was deleted, that's why image is not visible in his quote. Surprisingly, I can still see it in Opera - obviously it is in my cache. For unrelated reasons I am not going to clear the cache now.

Last edited:
Borek said:
attachment.php?attachmentid=38100&d=1313694043.gif
Ah, so that's the difference between a bug and a feature! I always wondered about that.

1. How do I attach an image to my document?

To attach an image to your document, you can either use the "insert image" function in your document editing software or manually copy and paste the image into your document.

2. What is the maximum file size for attaching images?

The maximum file size for attaching images varies depending on the platform or software you are using. In general, most platforms allow file sizes up to 25MB, but it is always best to check the specific guidelines for the platform you are using.

3. Can I attach multiple images at once?

Yes, most document editing software and platforms allow you to attach multiple images at once. You can either select multiple images while using the "insert image" function or copy and paste multiple images at once.

4. How do I resize an attached image?

To resize an attached image, you can use the resizing handles that appear when you click on the image in your document. You can also access the image properties or formatting options to adjust the size accordingly.

5. Why can't I see the attached image in my document?

There could be a few reasons why you are unable to see the attached image in your document. Make sure the file size is within the limit, the image format is supported, and the image is not hidden or set to a transparent setting. You can also try refreshing the document or restarting your device.