Understanding Power Supply and Ethernet Adapter Wiring: A Guide"

In summary, the conversation is about connecting a 24V DC power supply to an I/O Ethernet Adapter and the confusion surrounding the wiring terminology. The power supply is connected to the Common and Supply terminals, and the Chassis terminal may be connected to a ground for noise and interference protection. The DC supply will be connected directly to the internal power bus of the device.
gyroElec
I'm trying to hook up my power supply to I/O Ethernet Adapter, and am getting confused with the wiring terminology.

The power supply is 24V DC (+/- terminals) and the Ethernet Adapter has NC, Chassis Ground, Common (C), and V (Supply).

I guess I am getting confused with what exactly Common and Chassis Ground are, and what I'm connecting the +/- to?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would put minus on "Common" and plus on "Supply". You might connect "Chassis" to a water pipe or other earth-grounded thingie to provide a little noise and interference protection. Usually chassis and common are connected together someplace in a system and it is best to do that in only one place to avoid "ground loops", so that's probably why they are separate on your box.

What does it mean when it says that the DC supply will be connected to the internal power bus?

It probably means that the DC supply goes directly to the supply lines (buss) of the thing. I can't think of a way to say that any clearer, sorry...

What is a power supply adapter?

A power supply adapter is an electronic device that converts AC power from an electrical outlet into DC power that can be used to power various electronic devices.

How does a power supply adapter work?

A power supply adapter works by taking the high voltage AC power from an electrical outlet and using a transformer to convert it into a lower voltage AC. This AC power is then sent through a rectifier to convert it into DC power, which is then regulated to provide a stable and consistent output.

What types of devices can be powered by a power supply adapter?

A power supply adapter can power a wide range of devices, including laptops, desktop computers, routers, printers, gaming consoles, and other small electronic devices.

What are the important factors to consider when choosing a power supply adapter?

The most important factors to consider when choosing a power supply adapter include the output voltage and current, the size and shape of the plug, and the compatibility with your specific device. It is also important to ensure that the adapter has the necessary safety certifications and protections.

What are common issues that can occur with power supply adapters?

Some common issues that can occur with power supply adapters include overheating, short circuits, and voltage fluctuations. It is important to properly maintain and use the adapter to prevent these issues, and to replace it if any problems arise.