Subatomic Particles: Electrons, Protons & Charges

• Thread starter a.ratnaparkhi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, electrons and protons acquire a change in their charge when they are combined. The charge is defined by the energy difference between the particles.
a.ratnaparkhi
is their in electrons and protons that they acquire change?
And what is the charge actually?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your questions are very vague.

I want to know the definition of the charge and why do electrons & protons have charge.

a.ratnaparkhi said:
I want to know the definition of the charge
I guess the definition depends on what theory you are interested in. If you are working with QM then charge is the conserved quantity corresponding to the U(1) gauge symmetry. If you are working with classical EM then it is probably best defined by the Lorentz force law, however that might be a little circular if you use the Lorentz force law to define the fields also.

Or in a practical manner (my preference) you could define charge by an experimental procedure for measuring it. E.g. using the SI standard experiment for measuring an Ampere.

a.ratnaparkhi said:
why do electrons & protons have charge.
That is part of the definition of an electron. For the proton, it is because it is composed of quarks and having charge is part of the definition of a quark.

a.ratnaparkhi said:
I want to know the definition of the charge and why do electrons & protons have charge.

Charge is a fundamental property of some particles. This is similar to asking why do electrons and protons have mass. They just do.

a.ratnaparkhi said:
why do electrons & protons have charge.
So, is it a meaningless question?

I do not think it is a meaningless question. I think that it is just difficult to answer.

grzz said:
I do not think it is a meaningless question. I think that it is just difficult to answer.

Charge is a property of subatomic particles. It defines the energy difference either positive or negative.

sankalpmittal said:
Charge is a property of subatomic particles. It defines the energy difference either positive or negative.
can we explain this property just like we can explain the properties of light?

a.ratnaparkhi said:
can we explain this property just like we can explain the properties of light?

What properties of light that can be explained? The existence of E and B field components? It's spin of of 1? It's energy?

Zz.

What are subatomic particles?

Subatomic particles are the smallest units of matter that make up atoms. They include protons, neutrons, and electrons.

What are the charges of subatomic particles?

Protons have a positive charge, neutrons have no charge, and electrons have a negative charge.

How are subatomic particles arranged in an atom?

Protons and neutrons are located in the nucleus, while electrons orbit the nucleus in energy levels or shells.

Can subatomic particles be created or destroyed?

No, according to the Law of Conservation of Mass, subatomic particles cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed or rearranged.

What is the role of subatomic particles in chemical reactions?

Protons and neutrons determine the mass of an atom, while electrons determine the chemical properties and reactivity of an atom.