Virgin Mary with cheese for only $22,000

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, a 10-year-old grilled cheese sandwich with an image resembling the Virgin Mary was being sold on eBay for up to $22,000. The auction was initially canceled but later put back up. Some people commented on the authenticity of the image and others joked about creating their own "miracle" sandwich. The absurdity of the situation was highlighted, with some questioning why people would pay such a large amount for a sandwich with no mold after 10 years.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TECH NEWS
'Virgin Mary' sandwich for sale on eBay
Posted Tue, 16 Nov 2004

A 10-year-old grilled cheese sandwich a Florida woman says bears the image of the Virgin Mary was back on eBay on Tuesday after the internet auction house initially canceled bids that went up to $22 000. [continued]
http://cooltech.iafrica.com/technews/391178.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Jesusland!

Smurf said:
Welcome to Jesusland!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Why do people think they know what the Virgin Mary looked like?
(Indoctrination, brainwash, etc?)

BoulderHead said:
Why do people think they know what the Virgin Mary looked like?
(Indoctrination, brainwash, etc?)
Don't be silly, she looks Renaissance Italian woman, just like in the paintings. :smile:

Artman said:
Don't be silly, she looks Renaissance Italian woman, just like in the paintings. :smile:

I believe it was PT Barnum who said, "There's a sucker born every minute." I may have attributed that quote to the wrong person, I can't recall. Nonetheless, it's fitting. Hey, if someone wants to pay $22,000 for a half-eaten grilled-cheese sandwich just because it has something resembling a face cooked into it, it's their money. No mold after 10 years, huh? Who wants to bet it's made out of Velveeta, i.e., not even real cheese. :rofl:

I have a new goal when i cook. Do you think you could lay out some fine shredded cheese on a pan in the form of a woman, then carefully lay the sandwich on the cheese, and cook it to get the same effect? For $22,000 is worth a try. If it even is close to looking like a woman someone may buy it. People will always see what they want to find, especially if you condition them with a good story first. You could say that the sandwich caught fire but did not burn.

If wondering if we made Jesus...or MOSES one...
Yep..we are not Mary..unfortunately :rofl:

There really are some sad people in this world

Bidding ona 10 year old piece-o-toast

I am wondering if they will buy bread and send it to starvation people by this money...not for God sake...but for "Mary" sake..[am not sure if it works..]

Moonbear said:
No mold after 10 years, huh? Who wants to bet it's made out of Velveeta, i.e., not even real cheese. :rofl:
I did hear it hadn't spoiled. The Velveeta could explain that. :tongue2:

This reminds me of when they sold Justin Timberlake's half eaten french toast for a couple thousand..

It's sort of foolish to think that a mere coincidence like this is so prominently known, and other actual miracles are considered as nothing.

Artman said:
Exactly so, yes! :biggrin:

Uhh...I thought this thread was about cocktails ! :frown:

You want a $22,000 cocktail with cheese?

1. What is the significance of the Virgin Mary with cheese for only $22,000?

The Virgin Mary with cheese for only $22,000 is a piece of grilled cheese toast that allegedly bears the image of the Virgin Mary. It gained attention in 2004 when it was sold on eBay for $28,000.

2. How was this image created on the cheese?

The image on the grilled cheese toast is believed to have been created by natural browning during the cooking process. Some people also speculate that it was intentionally created with a mold or stencil.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the authenticity of this image?

No, there is no scientific evidence to prove that this image is an actual representation of the Virgin Mary. It is considered to be a subjective interpretation and can be attributed to pareidolia, a psychological phenomenon where the brain perceives a familiar pattern in a random image or object.

4. Why is this grilled cheese toast being sold for such a high price?

The price of the grilled cheese toast was determined by the seller and the buyer on eBay. It gained attention and became a viral sensation, leading to a high demand for it. The high price can also be attributed to the religious significance that some people associate with the image.

5. Has there been any similar cases of religious images appearing on food items?

Yes, there have been several similar cases of religious images appearing on food items like toast, tortillas, and even Cheetos. Some of these items have also been sold for high prices due to their perceived religious significance.

Back