How is electric potential related to electric potential energy?

In summary, electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge in an electric field. It is related to electric potential energy, which is the potential energy a charged object possesses due to its position in the field. The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts (V) and it changes with distance, being directly proportional to the distance from the source of the field. The electric potential of a point charge also varies with its distance from the source, following an inverse relationship according to the formula V = kQ/r.
Lucy Yeats

Homework Statement

I have an expression for electric potential. Can I multiply this by mass to turn it into potential energy?

Homework Equations

W=Fs ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric potential is (potential energy)/(electric charge).

(potential energy)/(mass) is gravitational potential.

I honestly don't know anything about eletromagnetism.
I do know that "eletric potential"(measured in Volts) is not the same as "eletric potential energy" (measured in Joules)

So if I understood correctly your problem it looks like it can be solved by dimensional analysis.

Sorry, but I can't help further than that

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is often described as the amount of work needed to move a unit charge from one point to another within the field.

2. How is electric potential energy related to electric potential?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is directly related to electric potential, as the electric potential energy of a charged object can be calculated by multiplying its charge by the electric potential at its position.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric potential?

The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts (V). One volt is equivalent to one joule of energy per coulomb of charge.

4. How does electric potential change with distance?

The electric potential at a point in an electric field is directly proportional to the distance from the source of the field. As the distance increases, the electric potential decreases, and vice versa.

5. How does the electric potential of a point charge vary with its distance from the source?

The electric potential of a point charge follows an inverse relationship with the distance from the source. As the distance increases, the electric potential decreases according to the formula V = kQ/r, where k is a constant, Q is the charge of the source, and r is the distance from the source.