Flow rate through a tee fitting

In summary, the speaker has a piping system with multiple tee fittings that decreases in size before reaching a final nozzle. They know the initial flow rate into the system but are unsure about the flow rate at each outlet of the tee. The speaker is seeking help or resources to find the answer. They also mention that the flow rate will change depending on the outlet destination, such as a heat exchanger or a well. However, more information about the system is needed to provide a specific answer.
LIONS
i have a piping system and i know the initial flow rate into the system. the the piping system steps down several times through tee fittings on its way to a final nozzle in which i have required minimum flow rate. i know the flow rate going into the tee but i can't find any information about the flow rate that will output from each outlet of the tee. if anyone can help or lead me somewhere where i can find the answer this would be appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
What are the outlets running to? Water takes the path of least resistance, so your flow will change accordingly. If they are discharging at the same height into open containers, then you should see 1/2 split flow. If one is going to a heat exchanger and one drops down into a well, then you should see way more flow through the one to the well.

More info on your system is required to really get at an answer

1. What is a tee fitting?

A tee fitting is a plumbing or piping fitting that has three openings, with one inlet and two outlets arranged in a T shape.

2. How does flow rate through a tee fitting differ from other fittings?

The flow rate through a tee fitting can differ from other fittings due to the presence of two outlets, which can create turbulence and affect the overall flow rate. Additionally, the angle and size of the tee fitting can also impact the flow rate.

3. What factors affect the flow rate through a tee fitting?

The factors that can affect the flow rate through a tee fitting include the angle and size of the fitting, the fluid viscosity, and the velocity of the fluid. The presence of any obstructions or changes in direction can also impact the flow rate.

4. How is the flow rate through a tee fitting calculated?

The flow rate through a tee fitting can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the fluid velocity, density, and pressure at different points in the fitting. Other factors such as the angle and size of the fitting may also need to be considered in the calculation.

5. Can the flow rate through a tee fitting be controlled?

Yes, the flow rate through a tee fitting can be controlled by adjusting the angle and size of the fitting, as well as using other flow control devices such as valves or regulators. Properly sizing and selecting the tee fitting for the specific application can also help control the flow rate.