What are all the jobs you can get with a Physics PhD?

In summary, There are various job opportunities available for physicists, besides teaching. Some examples include working at NASA, being a stock market analyst, and more. ZapperZ has a thread in his journal with a list of job openings for physics degree holders, and there is also a flowchart and list of topics in physics available for further research.
mathlete
Except for teaching (that's the obvious). Please don't be vague and say ("research"), some specific examples would be nice (so in a sense not ALL the physics jobs, but specific things you could do - ie, work at NASA, be a stock market analyst, etc.). I just want to have an idea of what I can do with it - I'm a bit afraid that the only types of jobs open (from the jokes and whatnot) are teaching, and that's just not what I want to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it was ZapperZ who started a thread a few weeks ago that had a job website showing all the jobs asking for someone with the qualification of physicists. Had quite the array of jobs available. You can propably find it if you look through the last few pages.

Dracovich said:
I believe it was ZapperZ who started a thread a few weeks ago that had a job website showing all the jobs asking for someone with the qualification of physicists. Had quite the array of jobs available. You can propably find it if you look through the last few pages.

I did... if you browse my Journal, there are at least 2 entries titled "Employment in Physics" that list all the job openings for physics degree holders. This is the best and clearest way to get an idea of the kinds of jobs that physicsts gets, depending very highly on the area of physics, of course.

Zz.

Nice resources u got there in ur journal, ZapperZ.. if only it got an RSS feed.

futb0l said:
Nice resources u got there in ur journal, ZapperZ.. if only it got an RSS feed.

Thank you. I guess, short of that, you just have to keep an eye on it regularly. Who knows what other tidbits I will have in store soon? :)

Zz.

i guess i could plug a little flowchart I've made

doubt it will answer your question but at least it will give you a general sense and help find direction :zzz:

http://silentserenity.com/images/tgz/11028732871485.jpg

Also there is a neat list of some topics in physics that you can later google at this site:
http://www.zsu.edu.cn/zsu/dept/ewuliindex.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What industries can I work in with a Physics PhD?

A Physics PhD can open up job opportunities in a wide range of industries, including academia, research and development, government agencies, technology companies, and consulting firms. Some specific examples of industries that often hire individuals with a Physics PhD include aerospace, energy, healthcare, and defense.

2. What types of job titles can I expect with a Physics PhD?

With a Physics PhD, you can pursue various job titles depending on your interests and skills. Some common job titles for Physics PhDs include research scientist, data scientist, consultant, engineer, professor, and technical writer. However, this list is not exhaustive, and your specific job title may depend on the industry and company you work for.

3. Can I work in a non-scientific field with a Physics PhD?

Yes, having a Physics PhD does not limit you to only working in scientific fields. The skills and knowledge gained during a Physics PhD program, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, can be applied to various industries and roles. Many employers value the analytical and technical skills of individuals with a Physics PhD, making them competitive candidates for non-scientific roles as well.

4. Are there opportunities for advancement with a Physics PhD?

Yes, a Physics PhD can lead to opportunities for career advancement. In addition to traditional career paths such as becoming a professor or researcher, individuals with a Physics PhD can also advance to managerial or executive roles in their chosen industry. With a strong background in critical thinking and problem-solving, Physics PhDs are well-equipped to take on leadership positions.

5. What skills do I need to have to be successful in a Physics PhD program?

In order to be successful in a Physics PhD program, you will need to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as a passion for scientific research. Additionally, strong analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills are essential for conducting research and presenting findings. Time management and perseverance are also important qualities to have in order to complete the rigorous coursework and research requirements of a Physics PhD program.