Possion equation in circular annulus-II

• Thread starter smoger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circular
In summary, the forum poster is facing a difficulty in solving the Poisson equation in a circular annulus with given boundary conditions. They have made some progress by separating variables and identifying the problem for G(r), but are struggling with the boundary condition 2. This is due to a contradiction between the assumed dependence of G(r) on θ and the given boundary condition. To solve this, the poster can try separating variables as A(r,θ) = R(r)T(θ) instead of A(r,θ) = G(r) + R(r)T(θ) to satisfy both boundary conditions.
smoger
I previosuly asked about possion equation in circular annulus.
I found the general soultion of the problem myself. but i meet a another problem and still can not find the solution.

The problem is :

2A/∂r2 + 1/r ∂A/∂r + 1/r22A/∂θ2= f(r,θ) in the circular annulus (a<r<b)

where f(r,θ)=1/r + Xn/r cos(nθ)

The boundary condition is :

1. ∂A/∂θ=0 (at r=a)
2. ∂A/∂r =0 (at θ=±β)

I solved the problem as ,

Seperating variables as :
A(r,θ)=G(r)+R(r)T(θ) , assuming that
G(r) should satisfy 1/r , and R(r)T(θ) should satisfy Xn/r cos(nθ) term in f(r,θ)
Then the problem for G(r) is :

2G(r)/∂r2 + 1/r ∂G(r)/∂r = 1/r (1)

and Considering the boundary coundition 2,

∂G(r)/∂r =0 at θ=±β (2)

But substituding (2) in (1) becomes 0.
How can i solve the problem? thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your progress on solving the Poisson equation in a circular annulus. It seems like you have made some good progress and have a solid understanding of the problem. However, I can see why you are facing a difficulty in solving the problem with the given boundary conditions.

Firstly, let's take a closer look at the boundary condition 2, where ∂G(r)/∂r = 0 at θ=±β. This condition implies that the function G(r) is independent of θ at the boundaries. However, in your solution, you have assumed that G(r) satisfies the term 1/r in the equation. This means that G(r) should also have a dependence on θ, which contradicts the boundary condition.

To solve this problem, you can try separating the variables as A(r,θ) = R(r)T(θ) instead of A(r,θ) = G(r) + R(r)T(θ). This will allow you to satisfy both boundary conditions, as R(r) will have a dependence on θ and T(θ) will have a dependence on r.

I hope this helps and good luck with solving the problem. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or need any clarification. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the Poisson equation in a circular annulus?

The Poisson equation in a circular annulus is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between the electric potential and the charge density in an annular region. It is given by ∇²φ = -ρ/ε, where φ is the electric potential, ρ is the charge density, and ε is the electric permittivity.

2. How is the Poisson equation solved in a circular annulus?

To solve the Poisson equation in a circular annulus, one can use the method of separation of variables. This involves breaking down the equation into two separate equations for the radial and angular variables, and then solving each equation separately. The general solution is a combination of these two solutions using Fourier series.

3. What boundary conditions are necessary to solve the Poisson equation in a circular annulus?

The boundary conditions for the Poisson equation in a circular annulus are typically the values of the electric potential at the inner and outer boundaries of the annulus. These values can be specified as either Dirichlet boundary conditions (fixed potential) or Neumann boundary conditions (fixed electric field).

4. What are the applications of the Poisson equation in a circular annulus?

The Poisson equation in a circular annulus has several applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used to model the electric potential in a circular capacitor, as well as in problems involving cylindrical symmetry. It is also used in the study of fluid flow in circular pipes and other similar geometries.

5. How does the solution to the Poisson equation in a circular annulus change with different boundary conditions?

The solution to the Poisson equation in a circular annulus will vary depending on the boundary conditions that are specified. For example, if Dirichlet boundary conditions are used, the solution will be a combination of sine and cosine functions, while Neumann boundary conditions will result in a solution with only cosine functions. The specific form of the solution will also depend on the charge distribution and the geometry of the annulus.