Can Wind Make It Feel Warmer at Night?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wind
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wind chill and its effects on the perception of temperature. The local weatherman suggested that at night, the wind may actually warm the body due to humidity, but this theory is questioned by the participants. It is suggested that the weatherman may be referring to sea breezes vs land breezes, but it is also noted that this has nothing to do with wind chill. Wind chill is defined as the cooling effect of wind on the body and can make the body feel colder than the actual air temperature.
Loren Booda
Our local weatherman assured his audience that although the wind chill would reduce apparent temperature during that day, at night the wind would actually seem to warm a body.

I am assuming he was not referring to an incoming warm front, or anything to do with cloud cover, just the perception of temperature at the skin-air interface. I guess it has something to do with humidity.

What's your take on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hrmm.. interesting. I don't know, but I am interested in finding out - why not write your meteorologist? I have not heard of this theory before. I always thought that humidity will lower the apparent wind chill temperature...

cyby,

It might be related to the fact that the relative humidity increases as the temperature falls. I agree - fire off a question to the meteorologist!

Then doesn't that mean that as the tempature falls -> RH increases -> colder wind chill? Or am I misunderstanding you?

He's probably talking about temp vs humidity, but he's still wrong: even if its 100% humid outside, wind will still take heat from you as long as the temperature is below body temperature.

And besides - wind chill is a winter thing and in winter, humidity is virtually nonexistant.

edit: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/index.shtml here is a wind chill chart. Notice that in no case does wind chill exceed ambient temp. Also, humidity doesn't factor into it because you don't sweat.

Last edited:
The meteorologist was all wet.

russ, cyby

I agree with Russ. The only role that increasing relative humidity will play is to reduce the body's ability to cool by evaporation of perspiration.

Loren Booda said:
The meteorologist was all wet.

Then he must have been in HOT water for him to arrive at his conclusion! :wink:

I believe your city is near water, is this correct? If yes, He's probably talking about by the coast. I know this because I'm a private pilot. Basically since during the day the sun heats the area, the land warms up faster than the water, thus the air does too, so that warm air rises. That of course lowers the pressure beneath it, so the cold air over the water moves to the land and the process repeats itself. At night, the land cools quicker, so the reverse happens. That's about the only thing I can think of. Of course, that means nothing if you don't live next to water!

Last edited:
Yup. I'm within ~30 miles of the Chesapeake bay.

KingNothing said:
I believe your city is near water, is this correct? If yes, He's probably talking about by the coast. I know this because I'm a private pilot. Basically since during the day the sun heats the area, the land warms up faster than the water, thus the air does too, so that warm air rises. That of course lowers the pressure beneath it, so the cold air over the water moves to the land and the process repeats itself. At night, the land cools quicker, so the reverse happens. That's about the only thing I can think of. Of course, that means nothing if you don't live next to water!
Huh - that could well be what he's talking about: sea breezes vs land breezes. But he's still wrong in calling that "wind chill" - it has nothing to do with wind chill.

What's wind chill? The cooling effect of wind on the body?

Wind Chill

The human body produces heat to maintain a temp. of 98.5. When wind is moving over your body it's chilling power is greatly increased and can cool objects much faster. Although the air temp is the same, are bodies can be chilled much faster and have to work harder to stay warm. For more info visitThis site

In other words, how wind feels cold. And yes, he is wrong about calling it wind chill.

1. What is reversed wind chill at night?

Reversed wind chill at night is a phenomenon where the air temperature feels warmer than the actual temperature due to the absence of wind. This is because wind speeds can remove warmth from the body, causing the body to feel colder than it actually is.

2. How is reversed wind chill calculated?

Reversed wind chill is calculated using the same formula as regular wind chill, but with the wind speed set to 0. The formula is: Twc = 13.12 + 0.6215T - 11.37V0.16 + 0.3965TV0.16, where T is the air temperature in Fahrenheit and V is the wind speed in miles per hour.

3. Why does reversed wind chill occur at night?

Reversed wind chill occurs at night because the sun's warmth is no longer present, and the Earth's surface begins to cool down. This causes the air temperature to drop, and without wind to remove warmth from the body, the air can feel warmer than it actually is.

4. How does reversed wind chill affect the body?

Reversed wind chill can affect the body in different ways depending on the individual's unique physiology. In some cases, it may cause a false sense of warmth, leading to inadequate clothing or shelter choices. In other cases, it may cause discomfort due to the body's inability to regulate its temperature effectively.

5. Is reversed wind chill a reliable measurement?

Reversed wind chill is not considered a reliable measurement of temperature since it does not accurately reflect the actual air temperature. It is important to always check the actual air temperature when planning outdoor activities, especially during cold and windy nights.