Enabling Mechanization of a Metal Frisbee

• Thread starter LoupLoup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metal
In summary, the conversation revolved around the idea of mechanizing a frisbee and the potential impact on the atmosphere. The engineer suggested considering the use of alternative energy sources and the potential impact of added weight and complexity on flight and aerodynamics.
LoupLoup
I have a question regarding the common ring frisbee or regular (nonring) frisbee.
I have been thinking of possible ways to "mechanize" the frisbee. I spoke with an engineer and he told me that of all the various possibilities that "combustion" probably has the greatest effect on the atmosphere.

I would like to enable the frisbee to fly without spinning however that would only be possible with some sort of mechanization. Is there some sort of way to harness "flame" of combustion energy for a centrifugal spinning effect??

A thin metal bar spinning over the top surface of a metal frisbee with combustibles over the surface of the spinning bar would have an effect on the atmosphere. Also if a central fuel chamber near the center of a metal frisbee, projecting its combustion and heat over the top surface of a metal frisbee and spinning a metal "pinwheel" with central axle at the center of a metal frisbee would also have an effect perhaps a gyroscopic effect on the atmosphere. And there could be other mechanical/combustion prototypes that may work.

Any suggestions of other designs that may work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, LoupLoup.
I must confess that your post seriously confuses me. To start with, whatever you come up with won't be a Frisbee. That's partly because Frisbee is a trademarked name for a particular line of toys. Secondly, the devices by design work through a combination of shape-induced aerodynamic lift and spin stabilization.
Two things that I would suggest that you look into are "flying wings" and "tip jets". Both might be relevant to what you want. Good luck with it.

Hi there,

That's a really interesting idea you have about mechanizing the frisbee! I'm not sure if I have any suggestions for other designs, but I do have some thoughts on the potential effects on the atmosphere.

Firstly, I agree with the engineer you spoke to about the potential impact of combustion on the atmosphere. It's definitely something to consider when thinking about ways to mechanize the frisbee.

I'm not sure if harnessing the flame of combustion energy for a centrifugal spinning effect would be the best solution. It could potentially create a lot of heat and smoke, which could be dangerous and harmful for the environment. Additionally, it might not be very practical for a recreational activity like frisbee throwing.

Have you considered using alternative energy sources, like electricity or air pressure, to power the spinning mechanism? This could potentially be a more sustainable and safe option.

Also, have you thought about how the added weight and complexity of a mechanized frisbee could affect its flight and aerodynamics? It might be worth doing some testing and experimentation to see how these factors play out.

Overall, I think your idea is really creative and I'm curious to see where it goes. Just make sure to keep the potential impact on the environment in mind as well. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of mechanizing a metal frisbee?

The purpose of mechanizing a metal frisbee is to enhance its performance and make it more durable. By incorporating mechanical features, the frisbee can fly farther, faster, and with more precision.

2. What are the benefits of using a metal frisbee over a traditional plastic one?

Metal frisbees are more durable and can withstand harsher weather conditions. They also tend to fly farther and with more stability, making them ideal for competitive frisbee games. Additionally, metal frisbees can be customized with various mechanical features for added performance.

3. How does mechanization affect the weight of a metal frisbee?

In general, mechanization adds weight to the frisbee. However, with advancements in technology, scientists have been able to incorporate lightweight materials and designs to minimize the impact on weight. This allows for a balance between added features and maintaining a manageable weight for optimal performance.

4. Are there any safety concerns with a mechanized metal frisbee?

As with any sports equipment, there are potential safety concerns. Mechanization can add sharp edges or moving parts, so it is important to use caution while handling and playing with a metal frisbee. Proper safety precautions, such as wearing gloves and avoiding contact with the mechanized parts, can help minimize the risks.

5. How can I maintain a mechanized metal frisbee?

To maintain a mechanized metal frisbee, it is important to regularly clean and inspect it for any damage or wear. Make sure to follow any specific maintenance instructions provided by the manufacturer. If any mechanical parts become loose or damaged, it is important to have them repaired or replaced to ensure safe and optimal performance.