Would You Drink a Bacon Milkshake?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I'd be adventurous enough to top a sundae with some crumbled bits of bacon (instead of jimmies) just to give it a whirl, I guess. If it was not tasty, I could at least give it to Duke.In summary, the Bacon Shake consists of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, a maraschino cherry and "bacon flavored syrup." Based on the ingredients-sugar, preservatives, artificial flavors, a whole lot of salt-there's not an ounce of actual bacon in there. The Bacon Shake is not better with bacon.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
No, No and hell no. Sweet should be sweet, meat should be meat. I am a food purist. But I *KNOW* we have members that would drink this. Admit it!

The Bacon Shake consists of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, a maraschino cherry and "bacon flavored syrup." Based on the ingredients-sugar, preservatives, artificial flavors, a whole lot of salt-there's not an ounce of actual bacon in there.

<snip> One theory behind the cult of bacon: it's addictive. A recent study found that fatty foods like cheesecake, frosting and, yes, bacon, had a similar effect on the brain's pleasure center as cocaine. In an experiment on rats, scientists at the Scripps Research Institute found that overindulging on bacon releases the brain's 'feel-good' neurotransmitter, dopamine.

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/drink-bacon-milkshake-231500241.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Hell no! It's sounds disgusting.

Bacon and milk together. I might have one just to spite my ancestors.

Evo said:
I'd eat baconaise.
aaaaaand that's our friendship over.

JUST KIDDING! :biggrin: But yuck.

That sounds absolutely disgusting! Bacon is salty and salty doesn't belong in sweet ice cream.

One of my friends also found "bacon-flavored cheese popcorn" in the microwave popcorn section of the local grocery store. That sounded pretty awful too, mostly because it was very clearly "bacon flavor" not actual bacon, but there are SOME things that aren't better with bacon.

Moonbear said:
One of my friends also found "bacon-flavored cheese popcorn" in the microwave popcorn section of the local grocery store. That sounded pretty awful too, mostly because it was very clearly "bacon flavor" not actual bacon, but there are SOME things that aren't better with bacon.
Ah well, I sometimes eat bacon-flavored cheese puffs, quite tasty :smile:

I can't imagine a bacon milkshake, the same for bacon-flavored vodka or toothpaste..
http://bakonvodka.com/
http://www.mcphee.com/shop/products/Bacon-Toothpaste.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching a food show the other day and there is a cafe that sells bacon coffee. They stir a teaspoon of bacon grease into a cup of coffee.

Moonbear said:
That sounds absolutely disgusting! Bacon is salty and salty doesn't belong in sweet ice cream.

Are you kidding? Salty/sweet combinations are the best. I would definitely try it out.

Moonbear said:
salty doesn't belong in sweet ice cream.

Ben and Jerry's "Chubby Hubby" ice cream has pretzel chunks in it. It's been long enough since I had it that that I don't remember if there was any salt on the pretzel chunks.

One theory behind the cult of bacon: it's addictive. A recent study found that fatty foods like cheesecake, frosting and, yes, bacon, had a similar effect on the brain's pleasure center as cocaine.
I love it when they phrase things like this.

It's like saying "a recent study found that stubbing one's toe had a similar effect on the brain's pain centre as being in a car accident".

(Wow, stubbing your toe should avoided at all costs!)

Nope

Moonbear said:
acon is salty and salty doesn't belong in sweet ice cream.
My grandmother used to put salt on watermelon.

Jimmy Snyder said:
apparently that is how people are supposed to have watermelon back when my father was a teenager

Jimmy Snyder said:

wukunlin said:
apparently that is how people are supposed to have watermelon back when my father was a teenager

I ate watermelon like this until I was 15. I'm now 20 and have realized it's unnecessary. I think I started doing it because that's the way my parents eat it.

Only if its turkey or veggie bacon. I don't eat pork.

Topher925 said:
Only if its turkey or veggie bacon. I don't eat pork.
It's not meat based, it's imitation flavoring.

Yes, I'd at least try it. Sounds interesting.

Moonbear said:
there are SOME things that aren't better with bacon.

can you provide references for that claim?

Pythagorean said:
can you provide references for that claim?
Apparently, chocolate chip cookies are not better with bacon.

I mean, I liked them, but the recipients who got a gift bag of them for Christmas from my wife weren't as taken with them as I was.

My wife makes liver-and-bacon cookies for Duke, and he flips for them. Not surprising, since I love liver and onions fried in bacon-fat, and he's "my" boy. Still the idea of bacon-flavored shakes is off-putting.

I'd be adventurous enough to top a sundae with some crumbled bits of bacon (instead of jimmies) just to give it a whirl, I guess. If it was not tasty, I could at least give it to Duke. He'd love that experiment.

That would be nasty lol

No, I don't even like bacon. :shy:

BloodyFrozen said:

Alien from Planet Earth.

I spent a lot of time consulting in the Deep South, and if you don't like bacon (or at least sausage gravy), you can starve trying to eat in those rural diners. It's like the Monty Python Spam skit. Their biscuits are cakey, poor cousins to the nice flaky pastry biscuits we get around here, but it doesn't matter all that much, because the servers will drown the "biscuits" in sausage gravy or bacon gravy anyway.

BloodyFrozen said:

You barbarian!

Evo said:
No, No and hell no.
Or just a simple uh uh. I like my bacon as ... bacon. I'll not be drinking that type of milkshake. What's next? Liver milkshakes?

DaveC426913 said:
Apparently, chocolate chip cookies are not better with bacon.

I mean, I liked them, but the recipients who got a gift bag of them for Christmas from my wife weren't as taken with them as I was.

Must have used the wrong recipe. Try this recipe for the Six Degrees of Bacon Cookies instead.

Using this recipe, I spent an evening bakin' Bacon bacon cookies. That's even fun to say!

Not to mention that they taste great!

This recipe originally was originally developed by Kevin Bacon's aunt. While Kevin Bacon and John Belushi were filming "Animal House", Kevin's aunt shared the recipe with Belushi's girlfriend. While Belushi was filming "Blues Brothers", his girlfriend shared this recipe with Ray Charles. And, when Ray Charles ran over a homeless person in his SUV, he visited the guy he ran over and shared this recipe with him. And then, years later, I tossed 3 dollars and change into the tin cup of the blind, crippled, homeless person and he showed his gratitude by sharing this recipe with me!

Evo said:
No, No and hell no. Sweet should be sweet, meat should be meat. I am a food purist.

Wait a minute! :eek:

Are you saying you wouldn't eat meat with barbecue sauce on it, or brown-sugar marinades? No honey glazes on chicken? No glazed meatloaf?

Evo said:
. . . "bacon flavored syrup" . . .
WT* is "bacon flavored syrup"?! Is that like "bacon flavored corn syrup"?!

I'd drink a Guinness shake, or actually, a Guinness float, and not the Guinness that is made in Canada, but the real Irish-made Guinness. There are probably many Stouts and Porters that are much better, but that's another topic.

Pythagorean said:
Are you saying you wouldn't eat meat with barbecue sauce on it, or brown-sugar marinades? No honey glazes on chicken? No glazed meatloaf?
I will eat non-sweet barbecue sauce, and a definite NO to the others.

Astronuc said:
I'd drink a Guinness shake, or actually, a Guinness float, and not the Guinness that is made in Canada, but the real Irish-made Guinness. There are probably many Stouts and Porters that are much better, but that's another topic.
Do you mean a Guinness bacon shake? Actually, that doesn't sound too bad.

edit: bleh double negatives >.<

I love bacon!

I will drink this milkshake!

BobG said:
Six Degrees of Bacon Cookies.
I see what the problem is. You're bakin' cookies at 6 degrees.

Back