Would You Drink a Bacon Milkshake?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I'd be adventurous enough to top a sundae with some crumbled bits of bacon (instead of jimmies) just to give it a whirl, I guess. If it was not tasty, I could at least give it to Duke.In summary, the Bacon Shake consists of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, a maraschino cherry and "bacon flavored syrup." Based on the ingredients-sugar, preservatives, artificial flavors, a whole lot of salt-there's not an ounce of actual bacon in there. The Bacon Shake is not better with bacon.
Pythagorean said:
Wait a minute! :eek:

Are you saying you wouldn't eat meat with barbecue sauce on it, or brown-sugar marinades? No honey glazes on chicken? No glazed meatloaf?

I'm with Evo on this. I'm very picky about bbq sauce because most are disgustingly sweet. I like spicy, tangy sauce with minimal sweet. No honey glazes on any meat. I don't know why people glaze hams at all...again, very salty, smoked meat doesn't go with sticky sweet. Glazed meatloaf? Is that meant to be some kind of punishment? I don't even like meatloaf...overcooked hamburger is horrible, and trying to drown it in sauces could only make it worse. I think most people drown meat in sauces because they overcook it and are trying to moisturize it after it's ruined.

Physics news on Phys.org
Another big NO to using sweet BBQ sauces. The local fire-chief loves to put on fund-raising chicken BBQ dinners for the fire department and the VFW (he's the chapter president), and he sprays the chicken-parts with a mix of oil, vinegar, and water, with powdered mustard while they are cooking. I forget the exact proportions, but it's a simple recipe and I have it copied down somewhere. They never have tomato-based sauces available, and nobody complains - that chicken is tasty. Get yourself a side of 'slaw, and you're all set.

Has anyone ever bought a bacon burger and a milkshake? Given that one normally eats while taking drinks from a shake, how is this different? It is just premixed.

Ivan Seeking said:
Has anyone ever bought a bacon burger and a milkshake? Given that one normally eats while taking drinks from a shake, how is this different? It is just premixed.

I actually haven't done that. I get milk shakes usually as a dessert or a treat by themselves, not as the beverage with my meal. Still, even if I would sip one and bite the other, I don't think I'd be dunking my burger into it.

Moonbear said:
I actually haven't done that. I get milk shakes usually as a dessert or a treat by themselves, not as the beverage with my meal. Still, even if I would sip one and bite the other, I don't think I'd be dunking my burger into it.

Just bite and sip! It all mixes. :biggrin:

Right before my blood sugar went crazy, on Fridays we used to get bacon-cheeseburgers and shakes, at work. Mmmmmmmm. Portland has a lot of great restaurants, including some fantastic burger places. My favorite was the "Neon" blue-cheese bacon burger. Give me one of those with a chocolate shake and I'd be helpless to stop myself; until I passed out!

"quit whining, it all mixes in your stomach anyway"

-my grandpa (RIP) whenever we complained about him serving ice cream on our dinner plates.

I'm still trying to get over my wife serving a Reisling with the chateaubriand last week.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I'm still trying to get over my wife serving a Reisling with the chateaubriand last week.
Heathen! Is she from China or something?

I've thrown up the milkshake burger combo - it was truly nasty. YUKK
do you have any idea how hard it is to find things with NO sugar in them. There is sugar in ham, most bacon, sausage, nearly all barbeque sauces, almost everything has sugar in it. Green curry has sugar in it although less than other currys. Sweet barbecue beans are sooo disgusting. Steak houses actually coat steaks with sugar as well as salt before they grill them (came from a chef at a steak house)

Now baconaisse I could deal with.

Bacon milkshake is delicious but you need an extra wide straw to get the chunks of bacon up.

It's been on the menu forever at B-spot which is Michael Symon's gourmet burger chain.

Evo said:
No, No and hell no. Sweet should be sweet, meat should be meat. I am a food purist. But I *KNOW* we have members that would drink this. Admit it!

Agreed. I tried a bacon chocolate-chip cookie once and was not impressed.

Moonbear said:
salty doesn't belong in sweet ice cream.

Unless it's homemade ice-cream and got in there by accident.

jtbell said:
Ben and Jerry's "Chubby Hubby" ice cream has pretzel chunks in it. It's been long enough since I had it that that I don't remember if there was any salt on the pretzel chunks.

Ben and Jerry's is always the exception to the rule. As a rule, I don't eat ice cream... but almost ANY Ben and Jerry's (and the "Homemade" brand with peanut-butter) will make me cave in.

Jimmy Snyder said:
My grandmother used to put salt on watermelon.

This is to "bring the juices out"... like salting tomatoes, or putting sugar on strawberries.

Ivan Seeking said:

But in that case why not eat vomit?

BobG said:
Must have used the wrong recipe. Try this recipe for the Six Degrees of Bacon Cookies instead.

Using this recipe, I spent an evening bakin' Bacon bacon cookies. That's even fun to say!

Not to mention that they taste great!

This recipe originally was originally developed by Kevin Bacon's aunt. While Kevin Bacon and John Belushi were filming "Animal House", Kevin's aunt shared the recipe with Belushi's girlfriend. While Belushi was filming "Blues Brothers", his girlfriend shared this recipe with Ray Charles. And, when Ray Charles ran over a homeless person in his SUV, he visited the guy he ran over and shared this recipe with him. And then, years later, I tossed 3 dollars and change into the tin cup of the blind, crippled, homeless person and he showed his gratitude by sharing this recipe with me!

Well, okay... this might be the exception to the cookie-bacon rule. That candied-bacon prep looks good... and resembles a great salmon-thig we do. and if that story of yours is true... well, Blues Brother's fame expands again...

I can personally confirm that bacon and vanilla ice cream are delicious together.

I can personally confirm that bacon and * are delicious together.

bacon, vanilla ice cream and a hot pepper mango sauce drizzled on top.

netgypsy said:
bacon, vanilla ice cream and a hot pepper mango sauce drizzled on top.

netgypsy, I can't believe I'm saying this, but that sounds...good. The hot mango did it...you have a way with food :smile:.

:blushing: I'm a closet foodaholic I confess

lisab said:
netgypsy, I can't believe I'm saying this, but that sounds...good. The hot mango did it...you have a way with food :smile:.

I can't believe this thread went almost 4 pages without a post from you. Are you feeling okay, Lisa?

I might try a sip or two but I doubt that I would like it. BTW, a Google image search for the word 'bacon' shows that there are some truly disturbed bacon lovers in the world. I now know that there is bacon chocolate, soap, coffee, jerky, peanut brittle, popcorn, cheese, ketchup, cinnamon rolls, jelly beans, cupcakes, dental floss, toothpaste, alarm clocks...

And, what woman wouldn't swoon over this on Valentines Day?

bacon-broquet.jpg

Last edited:
They should just shorten the name from Jack in the Box to Jack the Reaper

But I do take issue with MoonBear's contention that salty does not belong with the sweet of ice cream. Peanuts, pretzels, chocolate syrup and vanilla ice cream. Yumm!

Random Bacon-craze sighting:

A locally made card:
bacon%20card.JPG

Back